Be aware - no bags

Jeorby Nanpa

1 hour ago, Jeorby Nanpa said:

The bag thing was a surprise.  I keep up with KI and even their website doesn't have this :( Many walking back to their cars, probably some leaving.  

2022-09-23 18.09.31.jpg

Same policy as Carowinds, interesting, Carowinds implemented the bag policy at the same time as the Chaperone policy. I wonder if they considered it for KI and ultimately decided not to go with it.

53 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Same policy as Carowinds, interesting, Carowinds implemented the bag policy at the same time as the Chaperone policy. I wonder if they considered it for KI and ultimately decided not to go with it.

Carowinds has had their “no bags” policy since last year. The chaperone policy was only implemented for Scarowinds after the park closed early last weekend due to unruly teenage guests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

They are refusing some with medical supplies. This will blow up in their face as refusing medical supplies is illegal. 

"That's nice, dear.  Get your manager."

There are some things you just don't accept, no matter how high you need to escalate things.  Being refused medical accommodations is not something you accept.  Sounds like they didn't think this whole thing through if they've failed to properly train security to tell the difference.

Totally unlike CFEC there to not think these things through...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikejenkins1 said:

Went last night and they DO allow people in with medical supply bags.

They are turning away every one else with bags basically since too big.

You dont need them and wear pants with pockets and/or a jacket

I love my Scottevest wear just for such occasions.  Don't go to the park without it :)

• Haha 1

Not to play Devil’s Advocate, but wouldn’t a “no bag” policy be less confusing than the current policy? A girl ahead of me had one of those tiny Fanny packs and it was too big. She used it for her phone clearly. When security turned her away she went from laughing thinking that they were joking to a straight face of absolute disbelief. 

• Like 1

Not to play Devil’s Advocate, but wouldn’t a “no bag” policy be less confusing than the current policy? A girl ahead of me had one of those tiny Fanny packs and it was too big. She used it for her phone clearly. When security turned her away she went from laughing thinking that they were joking to a straight face of absolute disbelief. 

Yes it would. I know they are doing this for a safety issue, but they need to setup a special line for folks with medical needs to accommodate them. Some people have conditions where they need medications or supplies immediately and are unable to
trek back out to their cars. They clearly did not think this through. I know for a fact they made someone put their diabetic supplies back in their car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see why Kings Island couldn’t bring back 2019 front gate security protocols for Halloween Haunt. Yeah, emptying your pockets and getting your bag thoroughly searched was a hassle, but it seemed far more effective than the security now. I get the bag rule. However, if the front gate security thoroughly searches all bags, I don’t see why larger bags cannot be brought in. I don’t know what needs to be done, but something needs to be done to allow Kings Island to get rid of the bag policy while still ensuring the same level of security. Whether it means more security staff at the front gate, new procedures, or new high/tech scanners like at the Six Flags parks (Kings Island even tested this), something needs to be done.

15 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Don't they sell bags at the park bigger than this?

They sure do sell bags bigger than this!

I did go to Guest Services and ask to get a complaint form.  She said "you can just talk to security."  No, I'm not talking to a 21-year old you just hired.  I said I wanted to write it down and she grabbed a random scrap of paper and a pen.  I was angry at the time but that's pretty funny now.

2022-09-23 21.57.27.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, disco2000 said:

It has been on their website and all over social media with people complaining about it...

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/haunt/conduct-policy-and-guidelines

Aha, thank you.  I went to https://www.visitkingsisland.com/frequently-asked-questions and opened the + for Security Procedures and saw nothing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Yes it would. I know they are doing this for a safety issue, but they need to setup a special line for folks with medical needs to accommodate them. Some people have conditions where they need medications or supplies immediately and are unable to
trek back out to their cars. They clearly did not think this through. I know for a fact they made someone put their diabetic supplies back in their car.

As someone who has lived with type one diabetes for 43 years, you really only need one thing immediately and that is glucose. A pack of glucose tablets and/or a tube of gel fits nicely in a pocket or the bag size they indicate.  If you insulin pump infusion set comes undone, it's not an emergency. Neither is it an emergency if your CGM comes out. You don't need a suitcase full of cookies and candy.  Most glucometers and supplies can fit in the small bag.  Extra supplies can be left in the car. Or, check in with your small bag, go to guest service or first aid and get documents for leaving a couple extra supply set and insulin at the first aid building. It's not that hard or dramatic. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

As someone who has lived with type one diabetes for 43 years, you really only need one thing immediately and that is glucose. A pack of glucose tablets and/or a tube of gel fits nicely in a pocket or the bag size they indicate.  If you insulin pump infusion set comes undone, it's not an emergency. Neither is it an emergency if your CGM comes out. You don't need a suitcase full of cookies and candy.  Most glucometers and supplies can fit in the small bag.  Extra supplies can be left in the car. Or, check in with your small bag, go to guest service or first aid and get documents for leaving a couple extra supply set and insulin at the first aid building. It's not that hard or dramatic. 

Except, the problem is that they’re saying that isn’t allowed in the park and people have to take it to their cars.

4 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Agreed. Ive had type 1 diabetes for 13 years now. Every Kings Island trip, all I have is my pump in my pocket. You could never tell I was diabetic. That being said, if you have a medical bag, it most certainly will be allowed. No ifs and or buts they have to allow that. Some people like to be a little extra and pack a lot extra for their medical supplies. Is it needed? probably not. Should it/is it allowed in the park? 1000%

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

If this did in fact happen, that person should have denied that request. I'm no Karen, but I would have just laughed in their face to that answer.

5 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

At the same time, who are you or the park to be the arbiter of what one needs to feel comfortable with their preparation to manage their condition?  Everyone has their own tolerances and preferences.

18 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

I met up with a family with a disabled daughter and asked about their bag.  Wasnt huge but it had medical supplies and it got tagged as ok.  THey saw another bag get approved with medical supplies.  So not so sure about this diabetes stuff being denied if in a bag.   I am diabetic but choose not to bring my supplies.   Also you could have the child/nursing house by the Eiffel Tower hold them.     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

I met up with a family with a disabled daughter and asked about their bag.  Wasnt huge but it had medical supplies and it got tagged as ok.  THey saw another bag get approved with medical supplies.  So not so sure about this diabetes stuff being denied if in a bag.   I am diabetic but choose not to bring my supplies.   Also you could have the child/nursing house by the Eiffel Tower hold them.     

Unfortunately, it seems that some of the security guards are projecting the “proper amount of supplies” on guests that need those supplies.

9 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

The Fischer Child center isn't open during Haunt.

5 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

I hope you mean the Family Care Center as there's no nursing home in the park. ;)

It's normally open during the day but not by the time Haunt rolls around as Haunt really isn't the place for small children, etc.