Be aware - no bags

Jeorby Nanpa

14 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Epi pens and insulin pumps both fit in pockets.  I would think feminine products are free at first aid, but i could be wrong.  

It's already been said that KI has made reasonable accommodations for needed medical supplies.

Yeah, but what happens if the pump site falls out, or someone has a hyperglycemic event without any additional supplies? They get extremely sick and possibly worse. Park policies that result in potentially dangerous situations for guests with medical conditions is a terrible policy. 

Second, placing Epi-pens in pockets is dangerous as it may shatter or fly free.

KI has not made reasonable accommodations due to the fact they are not fully accommodating. People are not being allowed to bring in medical supplies.

• Like 2

Epi pens and insulin pumps both fit in pockets.  I would think feminine products are free at first aid, but i could be wrong.  
It's already been said that KI has made reasonable accommodations for needed medical supplies.

Most medical supplies such as diabetic supplies and epi pens are not designed to be kept in pockets or high friction places where they could be crushed just by sitting down or bucked on. Most medical supplies are not designed to be transported in pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

Most medical supplies such as diabetic supplies and epi pens are not designed to be kept in pockets or high friction places where they could be crushed just by sitting down or bucked on. Most medical supplies are not designed to be transported in pockets.

Absolutely. That opens a second line of questions. If someone had their life saving medical equipment in the pockets and it fell out of a ride, would the park shut the ride down until they found it?

I am not trying to be unreasonable, but I feel the park is making a dumb, avoidable mistake by enforcing the bag policy in this manner.

If an infusion set gets removed prematurely, you replace it with the extra set you either have in your bag, or have left at first aid because Kings Island does allow for medical exceptions as previously stated. If you are hypoglycemic, you follow the guidelines of the Rule of 15.  15 grams of CHO, wait 15 minutes, recheck and treat again in 15 minutes. Hence glucose tablets that fit nicely in a pocket or small bag are quite effective as each tablet has 5 gm CHO.  If the person is going down rapidly, there are literally food stands with sugary soft drinks that can be given. If they are more hypoglycemic than that, first aid/ambulance would be needed anyway and hopefully they learn how to better manage their condition. A failed cgm/infusion set is not an emergency.  I can't speak for the park but I'm sure they can accommodate a larger bag with the intent of dropping it off at first aid or a trip to the car if a site falls off.  Would be worth a visit to guest services to get a definitive answer .

As far as fragility of diabetic supplies...they are very sturdy. Insulin pens are made from plastic and are easily transported in pockets.  Many pumps and cgms have apps that are Bluetooth connected to a cell phone, but if not, are made of a similar material and durable enough for everyday life.

Epi pen, I'm not familiar with, but what is standard procedure for these at other public places?  

But, above all, as someone who has lived with T1D for over forty years, you define your life, the disease doesn't define you.  You can enjoy a wonderful hobby and be safe without carrying a suitcase of supplies, cookies and soda everywhere you go.  The only anxiety I have EVER HAD at a park is the fear of being stopped on a ride with no glucose tabs and a falling glucose level.  That's why I determine my outcome by being safe and reasonable with what I need to be safe. I've been hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic at Kings Island and every other place I carry out my activities of daily living. Treat and move on.

15 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If an infusion set gets removed prematurely, you replace it with the extra set you either have in your bag, or have left at first aid because Kings Island does allow for medical exceptions as previously stated. If you are hypoglycemic, you follow the guidelines of the Rule of 15.  15 grams of CHO, wait 15 minutes, recheck and treat again in 15 minutes. Hence glucose tablets that fit nicely in a pocket or small bag are quite effective as each tablet has 5 gm CHO.  If the person is going down rapidly, there are literally food stands with sugary soft drinks that can be given. If they are more hypoglycemic than that, first aid/ambulance would be needed anyway and hopefully they learn how to better manage their condition. A failed cgm/infusion set is not an emergency.  I can't speak for the park but I'm sure they can accommodate a larger bag with the intent of dropping it off at first aid or a trip to the car if a site falls off.  Would be worth a visit to guest services to get a definitive answer .

As far as fragility of diabetic supplies...they are very sturdy. Insulin pens are made from plastic and are easily transported in pockets.  Many pumps and cgms have apps that are Bluetooth connected to a cell phone, but if not, are made of a similar material and durable enough for everyday life.

Epi pen, I'm not familiar with, but what is standard procedure for these at other public places?  

But, above all, as someone who has lived with T1D for over forty years, you define your life, the disease doesn't define you.  You can enjoy a wonderful hobby and be safe without carrying a suitcase of supplies, cookies and soda everywhere you go.  The only anxiety I have EVER HAD at a park is the fear of being stopped on a ride with no glucose tabs and a falling glucose level.  That's why I determine my outcome by being safe and reasonable with what I need to be safe. I've been hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic at Kings Island and every other place I carry out my activities of daily living. Treat and move on.

First off, people are blocked from bringing in extra glucose, glucagon, and pump supplies. Basically, I was only allowed to bring in a few tabs and testing supplies as well as a charger (pump is controlled through the phone).

Secondly, if I did leave it in the car, one can’t re-enter the park due to the no re-entry policy the park has. Basically if one is a diabetic and they have been forced to leave supplies in the car, their night is over. 

Other public places allow you to bring in all the medical supplies, as defined by federal law. 

• Like 1

So here’s the gist of what happened. The park has asked the security teams to enforce a no-bag policy with no medical exceptions. The initial policy is sent to the security, and asked to carry out this impossible task. From what is being said on Facebook, this has been collaborated by numerous individuals.DA273AD6-05D9-4708-9D92-D94EFDDF8D30.jpeg

As the witness stated, this is in violation of the ADA.

Policy gets refined for medical exemption. The new policy becomes: 

BAG POLICY: To increase safety and provide efficient entry into the park during Haunt, guests will be asked to adhere to a new policy which states that no bags of any kind larger than 6.5" × 4.5" × 2" may be brought into the park after 6:00 PM on Haunt nights. All bags will be subject to search.

Medical exceptions can be made with security supervisors.

Problem soon becomes that medical exceptions are granted by security supervisors on the basis of what they deem is a proper medical exception. That means that someone who doesn’t have any knowledge of medical conditions is now the one in charge of determining whether you can bring in medical supplies.

On the first night of Haunt I was prevented from entering the park by supervisors, who thought I had way too many “diabetes supplies”. They told me that they were going to go through my medical bag and tell me what I was allowed and not allowed to bring in. I was only allowed to bring in testing supplies, a few tabs, and forced to leave most of my supplies in the car. 

Second night of Haunt, I got into a tense discussion with a supervisor who said to me that “diabetics don’t need that many supplies”. The amount of supplies I carry is standard to what many T1D carry, and was not excessive in any way.

Since then, I have not gotten held up in security due to my medical supplies. However, I’ve heard many who are held up and are refused park admission because they have medical equipment.  Several members of this site witnessed what occurred and know first hand what the problems are. I am happy to discuss this with the park, but I feel that they are shutting down all discussion of it.

Since this policy is not unique to KI, I conjecture that Cedar Fair had legal aspects looked into before implementing this, and probably modeled this on policy by other venues that host events with a large attendance.

As I have said before, infusion sets, CGMs etc. are not emergencies.  Hypoglycemia, if untreated will be.  That is why it's incumbent to carry glucose tabs.  If one it to go low, treat with them and if not resolved, leave the line and go get something to eat at one of the many eateries/drinks stands that would love to serve you.

Again, I can't speak for the park, but I would think they would be reasonable.  Perhaps with a visit to GS or FA, arrangements could be made for a vehicular transport to a person's vehicle to get the infusion set, after both the initial set comes off, then the replacement that fits in the bag guidelines.  Or the glucose tabs after all the tubes that fit in pockets have been exhausted.

But I have never had to use glucose tabs at the park.  And my CGM stayed intact, and back when I used a pump, I never had a need to replace my infusion set.

And then again, if someone with a medical condition required a rolling suitcase full of supplies, they can enter the park before 6pm without being affected.  Or, with the cooler weather, wear a jacket that has numerous zippered pockets after 6 pm.

I'd be curious to know what you consider is the standard amount of supplies many T1Ds carry.

More security theatre that is not going to prevent anything.  Look at what happened at Kennywood, someone still got a gun in with all of these "policies."

Unfortunately, the people who are working the front gate aren't going to be empathetic, it makes their job easier to just say "no" if the bag is over the size.

I'm on the Fan Council at UC and we had a similar issue going into this season.  They implemented someone who's job is to approve the different medical devices.  

As for the bags in the park.  They aren't worried about what you have on you once you get into the park.  In fact, they'd prefer that you stuff that cinch bag with merchandise.

14 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Since this policy is not unique to KI, I conjecture that Cedar Fair had legal aspects looked into before implementing this, and probably modeled this on policy by other venues that host events with a large attendance.

As I have said before, infusion sets, CGMs etc. are not emergencies.  Hypoglycemia, if untreated will be.  That is why it's incumbent to carry glucose tabs.  If one it to go low, treat with them and if not resolved, leave the line and go get something to eat at one of the many eateries/drinks stands that would love to serve you.

Again, I can't speak for the park, but I would think they would be reasonable.  Perhaps with a visit to GS or FA, arrangements could be made for a vehicular transport to a person's vehicle to get the infusion set, after both the initial set comes off, then the replacement that fits in the bag guidelines.  Or the glucose tabs after all the tubes that fit in pockets have been exhausted.

But I have never had to use glucose tabs at the park.  And my CGM stayed intact, and back when I used a pump, I never had a need to replace my infusion set.

And then again, if someone with a medical condition required a rolling suitcase full of supplies, they can enter the park before 6pm without being affected.  Or, with the cooler weather, wear a jacket that has numerous zippered pockets after 6 pm.

I'd be curious to know what you consider is the standard amount of supplies many T1Ds carry.

I carry a standard amount of supplies in a book bag that could easily fit within the SF policy of a 12”x12” bag. The issue is that security is not allowing people to take in their medical supplies (glucagon, infusion sites) that could be dropped off at First Aid. Furthermore, if one leaves their supplies out in the car, the no re-entry policy prevents them from re-entering the park.  
Say I was part of a family of four that spent $200 to go to KI. Infusion site pops out after one ride. Family goes out to car to get supplies that they were ordered to leave out there by park’s security staff. New site gets put in, only to have the family find out that they can’t re-enter the park. That is happening numerous times, and it’s a darn shame.

10 hours ago, teenageninja said:

More security theatre that is not going to prevent anything.  Look at what happened at Kennywood, someone still got a gun in with all of these "policies."

Unfortunately, the people who are working the front gate aren't going to be empathetic, it makes their job easier to just say "no" if the bag is over the size.

I'm on the Fan Council at UC and we had a similar issue going into this season.  They implemented someone who's job is to approve the different medical devices.  

As for the bags in the park.  They aren't worried about what you have on you once you get into the park.  In fact, they'd prefer that you stuff that cinch bag with merchandise.

Unfortunately, letting the security guards decide what constitutes a “medical condition” has gotten the park into the awful mess. 

2 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

I carry a standard amount of supplies in a book bag that could easily fit within the SF policy of a 12”x12” bag. The issue is that security is not allowing people to take in their medical supplies (glucagon, infusion sites) that could be dropped off at First Aid. Furthermore, if one leaves their supplies out in the car, the no re-entry policy prevents them from re-entering the park.  
Say I was part of a family of four that spent $200 to go to KI. Infusion site pops out after one ride. Family goes out to car to get supplies that they were ordered to leave out there by park’s security staff. New site gets put in, only to have the family find out that they can’t re-enter the park. That is happening numerous times, and it’s a darn shame.

Unfortunately, letting the security guards decide what constitutes a “medical condition” has gotten the park into the awful mess. 

If your supplies fit in the 12x12 bag, what is the issue?  Seriously, how many infusion sets fall off?  How many sets does one need?  And several sets of glucose tablets can easily fit in pockets, along with cell phone to control pump and CGM.

Most families of four spending $200 to get into KI will come on a Saturday or Sunday.  12-14 hours in the park vs 6?  It's a no brainer.  So they have all day before 6 to come and go to their car and can bring in the big bag at 530.

People often tend to make things more complicated than needed.  

3 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If your supplies fit in the 12x12 bag, what is the issue?  Seriously, how many infusion sets fall off?  How many sets does one need?  And several sets of glucose tablets can easily fit in pockets, along with cell phone to control pump and CGM.

Most families of four spending $200 to get into KI will come on a Saturday or Sunday.  12-14 hours in the park vs 6?  It's a no brainer.  So they have all day before 6 to come and go to their car and can bring in the big bag at 530.

People often tend to make things more complicated than needed.  

The issue is security is not letting those supplies into the park, which is required by law. They’re preventing people from bringing in diabetes equipment, epi-pen for allergies, and other equipment.

The thing is many of us were ordered by our doctors to keep the supplies and equipment by us at all times. The park is basically refusing to allow admission to those with medical supplies. Basically, those with medical conditions are placed into dangerous situations, all because the park wants to keep the security lines as efficient as possible. 

So what happens when you go to such food or drink stand and it’s a mile long line as usual on a busy night???

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

So what happens when you go to such food or drink stand and it’s a mile long line as usual on a busy night???

You or your friend tell people in line that this is a diabetic situation.  And you continue to use your glucose tablets you have in your pocket.

I have seen people have a diabetic episode in line or out in a midway.  First Aid is called and they or security simply bypass the guest paying line to immediately get a cup or soda or a bottled soda for the person.  Even if someone has a bag full of supplies, First Aid should still be called as that is what they are there for.

First aid can also transport someone out to their car to get any supplies that may be in the car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had 3 family members take in their insulin & other medical items this past weekend & the previous weekend and had zero issue.

This bag drama has been influenced by social media grandstanding.  Anytime someone starts screaming "ADA!" there is more fiction to their story than reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

I had 3 family members take in their insulin & other medical items this past weekend & the previous weekend and had zero issue.

This bag drama has been influenced by social media grandstanding.  Anytime someone starts screaming "ADA!" there is more fiction to their story than reality.

Just because one group had a different experience, it doesn’t negate the experiences of others. Numerous people with medical conditions have been stopped at security and ordered to return their medical equipment to their own car, which would fall under an ADA violation.

33D7FE69-0D26-4182-BDF5-7DF34D19910D.jpeg

Did a little experiment. At Carowinds, one is only allowed to bring in medical supplies that are in a bag smaller than 6.5”x4”. I went through the thread and put the two items that would be important for Diabetics - glucose meter and glucagon.  Those supplies were too big, and under Carowinds’ policy, I would have to return them to the car.7E178D96-BA8B-4B60-BBD0-B4BE971FFEC8.jpeg

I drive 2 hours to Kings Island when I go, maybe you can say I do not plan, but I do not bring extra insulin pump supplies or insulin. I have been going to Kings Island with diabetes since 2010. I have never brought extra supplies, glucose tabs, or anything. My sugar has gotten low multiple times. During those instances, I simply walk up and get a Coke. Easy peasy. Back to the fun. No issue.

I will say if someone wants to bring extra pump/insulin/diabetes supplies, they should be able to. But there is NO reason anyone needs more the one additional infusion site to Kings Island. That has to be miserable to carry around right? If I came to Kings Island with all the supplies I needed and glucose tabs to replace everything, I could fit it in the bag that they allow entry with. 

• Like 3