Kennywood incident 9/24

From the article:

According to Allegheny County police, three people were shot inside the park in the “Lost Kennywood” section by the “Music Express” ride. This happened around 10:49 p.m.

Witnesses told police that two groups of juveniles were involved in an altercation and that was when shots were fired.

One handgun was recovered on Kennywood property, police said.

Kennywood has metal detectors and yet someone still got a gun past them and within the park property (previous events we have heard around the country were a gun in the parking lot, but this one apparently made it past the metal detectors).

All of these incidents continue to put these events in bad light.  At some point, more parks will decide it just isn't worth the bad press. 

We will continue to see chaperone policies being implemented at parks or they simply do away with these events and cater to the spending family demographic...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Kennywood has metal detectors and yet someone still got a gun past them and within the park property (previous events we have heard around the country were a gun in the parking lot, but this one apparently made it past the metal detectors).

Rumor is the gun did not go through security.  The individual supposedly threw the gun over a fence, then retrieved it after they entered the park.  This is completely unconfirmed and might not be correct.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kenban said:

Rumor is the gun did not go through security.  The individual supposedly threw the gun over a fence, then retrieved it after they entered the park.  This is completely unconfirmed and might not be correct.

With the way the park is structured, I would assume that this is the case. Something like this was my first thoughts. When more details come, I would not be surprised if this is the case.

21 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Venues like an amusement park, schools, stadiums, theaters etc. are not secure like an airport (and their "secureness" is questionable).

It's too easy to get a weapon onto the property for someone who is determined to do it.

The visual of a metal detector is very similar to a chaperone policy.  It looks nice, it is a deterrent, but the actual effectiveness is lacking.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

Venues like an amusement park, schools, stadiums, theaters etc. are not secure like an airport (and their "secureness" is questionable).

It's too easy to get a weapon onto the property for someone who is determined to do it.

The visual of a metal detector is very similar to a chaperone policy.  It looks nice, it is a deterrent, but the actual effectiveness is lacking.

Reminds me of this: 

• Haha 1

Article pointing blame at the park:

https://triblive.com/local/kennywood-shooting-raises-concerns-about-park-security-metal-detectors/

Another article on the gun being stolen from Columbus.  I'm surprised they didn't blame the park for that either (100% sarcasm, but pointing blame at a venue as opposed to the criminal is nails on a chalkboard for me).

https://www.wtae.com/article/kennywood-shooting-gunman/41391787#

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2022/10/06/kennywood-shooting-arrest-fall-fest-security/stories/202210060109

Here is an update on the shooting.  The police have arrested and charged a 15 year old boy in connection with the shooting.

Turns out the police have evidence that there was more than one gun in the park, and are still looking for the second shooter.

It also appears the police are still investigating how the weapons got into the park, I find it interesting that the only possibilities listed in the article are thrown over the fence, and carried over the fence by someone who climbed it.  I have read the park trimmed bushes and trees near the fence after the incident.  Although I have to believe they are also investigating the security checks at the front gate.  

I would think the park has security cameras at the entrance, and should have recordings of every guest that entered the park through the front gates.  They now know what the guest was wearing and what they look like.  They should be able to figure out if they went through the gate or not.