2022 & 2023 Additions and Improvements Notice

MrSourNinja

Hey Yall!

It's that time of the year again. The 2022 and 2023 additions and improvements notice has been filed with Warren County. Please see below for the first page of the document. 

What stands out to everyone so far? Obviously, the big standout here, for me, is once again B&M. We saw them listed on the 2018 notice and that ended up being Orion (announced in 2019). This time around though, I think it is very possible this could be maintenance work and maybe not so much a new ride. Of course, the possibility will always be there.

Let's Discuss!

image.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Baynum Painting, nice. Diamondback I hope.

O’Rourke Wrecking, hmm… SoB station and/or The Box?

B&M, SkyHigh Erectors and Fenton Rigging? Hmm… Diamondback work on The Jolt or continued addition of sand in the track? I heard the lift motor might have problems too recently.

GCI AND GravityKraft? Interesting. They’re doing a certain unique build at WoF this offseason.

Zamperla could be parts or maintenance related to Planet Snoopy rides, but them combined with GCI/GK is something to watch. 

• Like 3

This is really exciting! A ton of manufactures are listed, though, so it is very intriguing. I assume Bolliger and Mabillard is for for Diamondback’s new lift chain, but I have no clue why Zamperela or Great Coasters International are included. Maybe a Titan Track Hybrid is in Kings Island’s future or some new flat rides! A flat ride could probably go in SlingShot’s plot of land even for next season if Kings Island decides to make a late-season or off-season announcement.

• Like 2

well I would think the second half of The Racer needs retracked and probably more retracking on The Beast. Also definetly more parking lot work, especially at Soak City are needed. Not sure you can much of this document outside of routine work on coasters like retracking and working on chain lifts etc. I think they just list all things they might do so they include all vendors which doesn't mean all those will be doing any work this off season.

• Thanks 1

Just now, terry wass said:

well I would think the second half of The Racer needs retracked and probably more retracking on The Beast. Also definetly more parking lot work, especially at Soak City are needed. Not sure you can much of this document outside of routine work on coasters like retracking and working on chain lifts etc. I think they just list all things they might do so they include all vendors which doesn't mean all those will be doing any work this off season.

However, Kings Island has been relying on Gravity Group recently for re-tracking work over Great Coasters International. Also, the fact that a TON of contractors are listed such as SkyHigh Erectors and Daniels Wood Land indicates a big themed project. Now that I think about it, Kings Island could be getting a new B&M or even Zamperala Coaster because SkyHigh Erectors would not construct anything from Great Coasters International as those installations are done in-house by the company.

• Like 5

Great stuff! 

Should point now as well; Baynum could be re-painting parts of Beast too because of all the new wood the coaster got this past season. They did do a job on it a while back so not out of the question.

Wrecking company sounds interesting. 

GCI might just be Mystic Timbers improvements and/or trackwork and/or maybe Beast Titan track???

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

This is really exciting! A ton of manufactures are listed, though, so it is very intriguing. I assume Bolliger and Mabillard is for for Diamondback’s new lift chain, but I have no clue why Zamperela or Great Coasters International are included. Maybe a Titan Track Hybrid is in Kings Island’s future or some new flat rides! A flat ride could probably go in SlingShot’s plot of land even for next season if Kings Island decides to make a late-season or off-season announcement.

Diamondback got a new chain this past off-season. Hoping they do some trackwork on some of the rougher Diamondback parts!!! 

Loving all this stuff; thanks for posting. Looking forward to any (if any at all) off-season announcements as we enter into 2023. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Very cool to see but doesn't really tell us all that much beside the park will likely install a new ride for the 2024 season. Exciting none the less.

Is it listed in 2023 if there is a new ride because they would start building in it 2024?

• Like 1

It also mentions S&S....Ceramic Tile Company. Clearly just a cover for a new air launch coaster.

But in all seriousness, I would love if it B&M was brought in to do something about Banshee's roughness. It was really bad on a couple of my rides this year.

Also, I thought Gravity Kraft was the TGG division that built timberliners?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

It also mentions S&S....Ceramic Tile Company. Clearly just a cover for a new air launch coaster.

But in all seriousness, I would love if it B&M was brought in to do something about Banshee's roughness. It was really bad on a couple of my rides this year.

Also, I thought Gravity Kraft was the TGG division that built timberliners?

Gravity Kraft may also be the division responsible for constructing coasters, re-tracking, and fabricating track for Gravity Group.

Ride Entertainment Systems is also mentioned which is the company that distributes Gerstlauer’s products in North America. But they could also just be working on another ride at the park (the installed Vortex’s chain on Adventure Express’s lift hill).

Jack Rouse Architects is responsible for themed areas like Steelers Country at Kennywood. With Daniels Wood Land as well, I assume we will be seeing some good theming with whatever attraction(s) are coming. I think we may see an area re-theme around Action Zone/Oktoberfest with new flat rides. If we do see a new coaster, I think we will see an area re-theme near The Vortex plot of land in Coney Mall/Rivertown with a new coaster going in the plot.

• Like 3

Gravity Kraft may also be the division responsible for constructing coasters, re-tracking, and fabricating track for Gravity Group.

Ride Entertainment Systems is also mentioned which is the company that distributes Gerstlauer’s products in North America. But they could also just be working on another ride at the park (the installed Vortex’s chain on Adventure Express’s lift hill).

Jack Rouse Architects is responsible for themed areas like Steelers Country at Kennywood. With Daniels Wood Land as well, I assume we will be seeing some good theming with whatever attraction(s) are coming. I think we may see an area re-theme around Action Zone/Oktoberfest with new flat rides. If we do see a new coaster, I think we will see an area re-theme near The Vortex plot of land in Coney Mall/Rivertown with a new coaster going in the plot.

Expansion of Rivertown. Entrance of new eventual coaster closer towards existing Rivertown.

• Like 2

I do expect KI to eventually get an expanded/rethemed area like we're seeing at other larger CF parks and I'm all for it.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I think I saw waterslide in that list.

Aquamen Waterslide Restoration. The WaterWorks stuff could really use some attention. Baynum also paints and coats slides.

23 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

As was mentioned Diamondback already got a new chain, but the lift motor seems to be acting up recently. I don't remember if the motor was attached to the track before or after installation of the track, it's possible they might have to temporarily remove a section there, but I doubt they'd need SkyHigh and Fenton for that. B&M, SkyHigh and Fenton were last seen for Orion, but doesn't guarantee a new coaster if they're doing something to address "The Jolt" back there after the turnaround, ideally I'd like to see that fixed up, the motor taken care of, and then have Baynum paint it for a full overhaul.

23 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

However, Kings Island has been relying on Gravity Group recently for re-tracking work over Great Coasters International. Also, the fact that a TON of contractors are listed such as SkyHigh Erectors and Daniels Wood Land indicates a big themed project. Now that I think about it, Kings Island could be getting a new B&M or even Zamperala Coaster because SkyHigh Erectors would not construct anything from Great Coasters International as those installations are done in-house by the company.

SkyHigh and Fenton Rigging, like I just said don't guarantee a new coaster, but having them in addition to Daniels Woodland and Jack Rouse is quite interesting... I think GCI would be for possible routine maintenance/tracking on Mystic though, and not a new installation.

20 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

With both Zamperla and Daniels Woodland. Maybe the start of a flat ride package with theming like Carowinds is doing with Aeronautica Landing? Daniels Woodland is the one who did the theming for both Mystic and Orion. 

I'd like to see this in either Rivertown or Oktoberfest. If it's in Rivertown, O'Rourke's involvement might be getting rid of the big ugly warehouse. Oktoberfest would currently benefit more from an overhaul, though.

16 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Yeah, I mistakenly tied Gravity Kraft to GCI instead of Gravity Group. I believe they are in fact who manufactures the new track, I think a second phase of work on Beast, perhaps more of the helix being rebuilt, is more likely than a Racer retrack. The park could easily do the return run in-house, or have GCI do it like they did the turnarounds, and then of course you'd need Baynum to come back and paint the new track.

12 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I do wonder if the demolition company is related to the SOB station considering Wolf Pack didn’t reopen this year

I'd really like to see the SoB station get nuked. It's ugly, getting worn down and isn't even a good place for a Haunt considering the Club Blood/Blackout building is right there and also not currently active. There's also the possibility I mentioned above regarding Rivertown and a certain ugly box.

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Could be for another underperforming wolf in the park, that was saved at the last minute this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you need someone on the caliber of O'Rourke for that, though? The only actual structure is the stage part. I guess if the SoB station is getting brought down, they could do it at the same time though rather than getting someone else (or in-house crews) to remove it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Could be for another underperforming wolf in the park, that was saved at the last minute this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see Timberwolf coming down quite yet. They just invested money into it and based on what I've seen the concerts were pretty well received and the bigger name acts brought in big crowds. The park has tons of land to expand without removing it. 

13 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I do wonder if the demolition company is related to the SOB station considering Wolf Pack didn’t reopen this year

That is honestly my guess. Wolf Pack hasn't been used since 2019 and it looks like its in rough shape. Might be time to get rid of the rest of the SOB leftovers including the station and old queue and clean up that area around The Bat. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't see Timberwolf coming down quite yet. They just invested money into it and based on what I've seen the concerts were pretty well received and the bigger name acts brought in big crowds. The park has tons of land to expand without removing it. 

That is honestly my guess. Wolf Pack hasn't been used since 2019 and it looks like its in rough shape. Might be time to get rid of the rest of the SOB leftovers including the station and old queue and clean up that area around The Bat. 

The concerts sold less than 30%. The money they put into it was chump change and cheap. It was basically a clean up. Again, it was saved at the 11th hour this year to try and squeeze what they could out of it. In fact there are already dumpsters that have been placed in Timberwolf.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

Yeah, I mistakenly tied Gravity Kraft to GCI instead of Gravity Group. I believe they are in fact who manufactures the new track, I think a second phase of work on Beast, perhaps more of the helix being rebuilt, is more likely than a Racer retrack. The park could easily do the return run in-house, or have GCI do it like they did the turnarounds, and then of course you'd need Baynum to come back and paint the new track.

I've been speculating a second phase of Beast work for a while now; so it's very interesting to see their name noted down.

I don't know what would make a company appear on this document, whether that just be general talk between them and Kings Island or actual work being done with them, it's still intriguing. 

If we do get more trackwork on Beast, it'd likely be focused on finishing the Helix structure redesign and/or some spots after the midcourse tunnel and before the second lift. I still can believe the park might wanna get the track/structure to a point where it can handle reduced trims at the same wear. They have not said this so this could be completely wrong. Nonetheless any trackwork is beneficial. 

For all we know this could just be general off-season maintenance with a bunch of companies. Time will tell what happens, so we'll keep our eyes out especially at WinterFest. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

The concerts sold less than 30%. The money they put into it was chump change and cheap. It was basically a clean up. Again, it was saved at the 11th hour this year to try and squeeze what they could out of it. In fact there are already dumpsters that have been placed in Timberwolf.  

Are you sure they have dumpsters there for removal? They could also be used for cleanup of cornered as they put cornered in that area. They also never taken out the patio stuff on the VIP area. Do you have a source of how much the concerts sold? The crowd for 3DD looked pretty good same with Skillet. Another thing you have to keep in mind is they still use it for Music in the parks/cheer competitions as well as Haunt/Winterfest assembly. Also Carowinds and KD haven't used their ampitheaters since 2019 and I haven't heard any rumors of those coming down. We'll just have to wait and see. 

6 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

One of the vendors listed is Arenas Americas who specialize in temporary staging and flooring so they could easily put the temporary staging in the parking lot if they get rid of Timberwolf.

Or maybe that is what they use for the temporary stages they set up throughout the park for stuff like Carnivale? Idk interesting for sure. However, if they were to just set up temporary staging in the parking lot for concerts then there is no need to remove Timberwolf unless you were only going to do is Spirit Song which hasn't been held since before COVID. Also Timberwolf is used for music in the parks/cheer competitions as well as Haunt/Winterfest assembly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

TimberWolf has been on the chopping block before--it was considered as the original location of Orion's station. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed, but I'm also sure that's contingent on how well the concerts did this year.

Do you have a source on that? I have never heard that before. I thought Orion was always planned on being part of Coney/Xbase.

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Do you have a source on that? I have never heard that before. I thought Orion was always planned on being part of Coney/Xbase.

I heard it was Jim Cantore when he stopped by Cincinnati to have lunch with the local news celebrities on the way to a blizzard!  (Dippin Dots guy at CGA told me his peer at Fiesta Texas said his friend at Great Adventure heard it from the septic tank guy at Camden Park).

• Haha 1

Other things listed in here is RE Middleton Construction who did Orion's footers and I'm sure footers from past coasters as well. Cintech Construction which is who built Orion's station. SkyHigh pretty much only does steel coaster construction according to their website. Unless it's a major rebuild of Diamondback or something I don't see the need for them unless there is in fact a steel coaster coming in 2024 and this is a notice for ground work to begin over the winter/next spring. Out of all the coaster manufacturers listed, B&M is the only steel coaster one listed so I'm like 80-90% sure we are looking at a B&M coaster for 2024 if this is for a new project starting. If so we are in for an interesting off-season and maybe just maybe next spring is when the decoding 2024 thread starts. Exciting times ahead hopefully.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yes, Jeff Gramke and Jamie Gaffney. The initial idea was for the station to go where TimberWolf was and the coaster would have gone along the old Columbia Road and the parking lot. The issue with that is there's a lot of utilities owned by outside companies right around there. Relocating those and negotiating with the companies would have been too time-consuming since the project started later in the game at Kings Island. Ultimately, Coney Mall was slipping on the revenue side and had two rides that needed to be replaced, so they decided to focus on that area instead. I don't believe there were any layouts done with the ride in Action Zone since it was early in the planning process. Just the general idea of, "This is where it could go."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1