2005 Winterfest Map

BoddaH1994

I got to attend this event four time I believe.  Once on the media preview, on opening night, once with my family, and then once, after volunteering at the park in food service, we were let go early because of light attendance and could enjoy the rest of the evening in the park.

I liked Santa`s Toy Factory in the Kings Island Theater.  It is the same basic show as Tinker`s Toy Factory, except it had a few more scenes/songs and was slightly longer.  They were requiring people get tickets for their selected show time because they thought that the show would reach capacity.  This show is actually from the original incarnation of Winterfest that ran from 1982-1992.  I wish this would return to the KI Theater some day now and add in the additional songs.

The lighting ceremony was pretty cool with the firework going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower.  I really enjoyed the story line and actors they had on the train, and wish they would do something like this with the train at the current incarnation of Winterfest, versus the 12 days of Christmas.  

Overall, this 2005 version of Winterfest did not have as much live entertainment as what Winterfest has now.  There were also not as many lights, less of the park was open, and there were fewer rides (and no roller coasters).  Not to mention that admission was not included with your KI season pass.  You had to pay extra to attend (I believe it was $18 or $19 per person with a season pass discount.  Normal tickets were around $22 or $23 if I recall.  I would that the current incarnation of Winterfest hands down.  With maybe the train experience and Tinker`s toy factory from 2005 thrown in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoastersRZ said:

I got to attend this event four time I believe.  Once on the media preview, on opening night, once with my family, and then once, after volunteering at the park in food service, we were let go early because of light attendance and could enjoy the rest of the evening in the park.

I liked Santa`s Toy Factory in the Kings Island Theater.  It is the same basic show as Tinker`s Toy Factory, except it had a few more scenes/songs and was slightly longer.  They were requiring people get tickets for their selected show time because they thought that the show would reach capacity.  This show is actually from the original incarnation of Winterfest that ran from 1982-1992.  I wish this would return to the KI Theater some day now and add in the additional songs.

The lighting ceremony was pretty cool with the firework going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower.  I really enjoyed the story line and actors they had on the train, and wish they would do something like this with the train at the current incarnation of Winterfest, versus the 12 days of Christmas.  

Overall, this 2005 version of Winterfest did not have as much live entertainment as what Winterfest has now.  There were also not as many lights, less of the park was open, and there were fewer rides (and no roller coasters).  Not to mention that admission was not included with your KI season pass.  You had to pay extra to attend (I believe it was $18 or $19 per person with a season pass discount.  Normal tickets were around $22 or $23 if I recall.  I would that the current incarnation of Winterfest hands down.  With maybe the train experience and Tinker`s toy factory from 2005 thrown in.

I believe Taxi Jam did open. I’ve heard stories of more adults than kids being in line for it.

Attended. Liked. Thought had potential. Looking back it was overall weak decor with just basic plastic balls in all the trees/wreaths etc, but overall more cohesively integrated event (the Jack Rouse Associates influence)better Toy Factory set and production. Weak parade, better train experience. Interesting tree lighting with Pyro. Wish some of that could be combined with what we have now. It was too “timid” of a re-entry into what by 2005 had become a more crowded market (Christmas events). Not sure if CF hadn’t pulled the plug the next year it could’ve found it’s footing still if they hadn’t gone much bigger the next year. Current offering is a bit like a clearance sale in the Christmas aisle in it’s scattered “throw everything Christmas at the wall and see what sticks” (like 90 mismatched light up deer of every style and type) but it definitely has the “go big or go home” mentality needed to grow an event. 

1 minute ago, SonofBaconator said:

Not to get off topic but what was the original Winterfest like?

Much better than the Paramount attempt. A lot of theming and decertations. A lot of display and such brought in from outside people. Back then lighting an such was simple, not as flashy as todays LEDs and flashing light shows. I remember a lot of real Christmas trees. LOL

• Like 1

Attended 4 times in 2005 - the best part was Santa’s Toy Factory in the KI theater.  I wish KI would move the current Santa’s Toy Factory from the Festhaus back to KI theater where it really belongs with its original spectacular set design (it’s time for the Charlie Brown show in there to retire). They gave out tickets to see Santa’s Toy Factory as to prevent over capacity, but don’t think the KI theater ever reached capacity for any of the shows that year (at least when I attended).  It was nice to see the original Christmas parade concept of 2005 brought back to KI in 2021.  2005 was a very strange weather year with daily snows and very cold  temperatures which combined with the admission charge created very low attendance.  Often times the rocket being shot up a cable to the top of the Eiffel Tower tree at the lighting ceremony to light up the tree rarely worked, but it was a cool effect when it actually did work.

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

Attended 4 times in 2005 - the best part was Santa’s Toy Factory in the KI theater.  I wish KI would move the current Santa’s Toy Factory from the Festhaus back to KI theater where it really belongs with its original spectacular set design (it’s time for the Charlie Brown show in there to retire). They gave out tickets to see Santa’s Toy Factory as to prevent over capacity, but don’t think the KI theater ever reached capacity for any of the shows that year (at least when I attended).  It was nice to see the original Christmas parade concept of 2005 brought back to KI in 2021.  2005 was a very strange weather year with daily snows and very cold  temperatures which combined with the admission charge created very low attendance.  Often times the rocket being shot up a cable to the top of the Eiffel Tower tree at the lighting ceremony to light up the tree rarely worked, but it was a cool effect when it actually did work.

I did overhear this year that Tinkers may very well be heading to the KI Theatre.

• Like 1

I was in seventh grade and went on a “date.” Gave my “girlfriend” a ring that turned her finger green by the end of the night.  Ha. 

It was a pretty tame event by current Winterfest standards. I really loved what they did with the train, live actors, storyline, etc. I was happy to attend the event, but looking back it certainly wasn’t fantastic. A great memory for sure, though. The current incarnation has become my favorite time to visit the park. Grateful I’m able to say I experience both since the original Winterfest called it quits before my time. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

Not to sound like a critic but I personally wouldn’t mind if they closed the Action Zone portion of Winterfest and dispersed its activities around different parts of the park. I guess I say this because the 2005 Winterfest seemed a lot “tighter” where as the Cedar Fair version seems more spread out. The kids area has expanded since ‘05 as well as the addition of Coney Mall and Area 72. I think if they left out Action Zone, they could refocus their attention on other parts of the park.

Where would you put the ice carvers and the toboggan tube slide?

Having been to the Winterfest from 2005, the pathway in Octoberfest was pretty bare.  They had decorations on Festhaus, and some on Bubba Gump`s at the time, but not much else.  The current incarnation of Winterfest has a lot more decorations spread through the park then what the one back in 2005 had.