KD Grizzly

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

The point here is, that doesn’t seem to be controlled demolition.  It appears something fell on it.  

Agreed. I could be wrong, but wouldn't a park remove the lift chain before doing that kind of thing? I have to imagine that's storm damage.

I like Grizzly a lot. I hope everyone was okay and they're able to get it repaired quickly.

• Like 4

I rode KD Grizzly this past summer for the first time. Got 5 rides in various seats, and I really dug it despite the obvious need for TLC. I have no doubt that a Gravity Group rehab like KI Racer and Beast would make Grizzly an outstanding destination wooden coaster. 

That quick headchopping dip into the tunnel is fantastic, and the secluded forest setting enhances the experience.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DiamondbackFan said:

Grizzly RMC!

Lol.

Probably Gravity Group re track after the success of The Beast re track.

Edit: Also I just thought of this but what if they decide to put some Titan Track on it? KI didn’t really make an announcement when they decided to put the Pre-cut Gravity Group track on The Beast or Racer.

Edited by Orion742
I Didn’t want to double post
  • Like 3

While I was reading the blog post, it read to "Follow The Grizzly Gang for more updates." The initials are very similar to The Gravity Group.

Also, they mention that they would introduce the engineers behind the project in a future blog post. With GCIs Titan Track installation on Wolverine Wildcat at Michigan's Adventure, I don't remember hearing about the team from GCI explaining the new installation, but we did hear a bit from The Gravity Group about The Racer and The Beast when they added their Engineered Precut Track. 

Either way, I can't wait for more updates!

• Like 1

I see three possible track types, Gravity Group with their precut wood track, or I could also see a move to steel using either Titan Track or 208 ReTrak.  I just doubt we will see traditional track work, its always possible but parks want to reduce maintenance costs and improve the ride experience, plus this does not feel like a regular retracking.

Gravity Group did a fantastic job over the last two years at Kings Island.  Keeping the relationship going and having them do more work at other parks in the chain seems like the most likely option.  But does the park or corporate care if the ride stays a traditional wood coaster?  If it does not why not just use steel track instead.  GCI did install some titan track in Michigan earlier this year and is building Zambezi Zinger at WOF.  The other possible steel option is 208 ReTrak from RMC.  It replicates the entire stack of traditional track using steel, and frankly makes a lot more sense to me than topper track ever did.

The Ledgers have been removed in the areas that are being worked on, and I suspect we will be seeing minor design changes like what The Racer and The Beast had done.  As soon as we start seeing any new track, we should have an idea of what company is working on this project.  I would also think there would be a report of pallets of wood if this was going to be a traditional retracking.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, Coasterteam said:

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2022/the-rebirth-of-the-grizzly---part-2

Still no confirmation from the park on the people behind the refurbishment :P

Written by someone who does not know the history of the coaster, or the park.  PTC did not design or build it, they had already stopped building coasters several years before this.  They have the designer correct, Curtis Summers.  But they worked for KECO, Kings Entertainment Company, owned by Taft Broadcasting, the company that owned the park and built the park.  This coaster just like The Beast was done in house.

Then they go on to credit coaster designs to Summers he did not design, including The Racer, Racer 75, and Woodstock Express.  Which were all actually built by PTC and designed by John Allen.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on who's running the socials. Also Grizzly isn't a top tier ride at KD so since this work is being done, it is much different from making The Beast which is a top tier ride even better. This is transforming a low tier ride in most people's opinions to become a better experience. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Dominion has, in my opinion, made the perfect choices to improve their two adjacent wooden coasters.

Hurler turned out fantastic as a full blown RMC steel conversion, complete with inversions.

Grizzly looks like another Gravity Group resurrection, that's both faithful to the original, and spiced up a notch.

Different, but appropriate solutions.

Likewise, Kings Island has made the appropriate improvements to Racer and Beast in my opinion.

• Like 1

For a company that started off with two LARGE coaster projects in a row, the initial Timberliner woes that led Holiday World to bring GCI in for a while, and some of their rides having problems with being high-maintenance, Gravity Group has really struck gold with the all-wood prefab track system. Racer's retracking and profile adjustments turned out great, and the following major Beast project provided a much needed, well-executed overhaul.

Fun Spot is opting for RMC ReTrak on some parts of Mine Blower, but I heard Voyage has started getting some of the new Gravity Group track. Considering how finicky Voyage has been over the years with conventional track, hopefully that works out well for them and they can get it back to more like how it ran when it was new.

• Like 2