Kings Dominion to switch to year round operations!

Per the Carowinds website, they are open 11-6 in January, February and March.  Surprised Kings Dominion is going year round.  As you said Ryan, the weather in Virginia is comparable to Cincinnati.  Given the large pass holder based and local population in proximity to KI I wonder if they won`t add additional dates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This raises a few questions:

1. How much of a discount on admission will there be, if any?
  2. Will certain parts of the parks be open and others closed during certain days?
  3. Will it just be attractions running or will it be like Winterfest where there are events going on with some rides remaining open?
  4. Will Seasonal Employees become full or part time?
  5. Will the parks add attractions down the road to counter cold weather in January-March?
  • Like 5

For years, the enthusiasts said Winterfest would never return because "Cincy winters are brutal."  To help solve staffing issues, dorms were suggested.  Again, it would never happen because that's not applicable to KI.  To help solve staffing issues, recruitment of retired people was suggested, like at Dollywood.  That won't happen at KI, we were told   I've seen more retired folks at the park over the last couple of years than ever.  Extended calendar was pondered.  This was counterd with "what else do you want!  They need time off to prepare for the next season!"

I wouldn't be shocked if we get winter weekends.  Maybe keep Snowflake Lake open with a focus on shopping, dining and entertainment.  

23 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

This raises a few questions:

1. How much of a discount on admission will there be, if any?
  2. Will certain parts of the parks be open and others closed during certain days?
  3. Will it just be attractions running or will it be like Winterfest where there are events going on with some rides remaining open?
  4. Will Seasonal Employees become full or part time?
  5. Will the parks add attractions down the road to counter cold weather in January-March?

1.  I'd say general admission tix will be similiar to Winterfest tickets.

2. Probably parts of the park would be closed.

3.  Depending on which park, I would guess that it will be more of a Winterfest schedule than a summer schedule.  If this were to happen at KI, it would be interesting to see what happens with state certification.  Will they certify from 1-1 to 12-31 or go towards a calendar year certification?  

4.  I think you would see more full time employees added.  CF has been making adjustments and if you get more full timers, it adds stability and reduces turnover cost.  But it does cost more in payroll and benefits.

5.  If the attendance shows significant interest, I would see more climate controlled attractions coming down the road to the parks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/kings-dominion-year-long-october-18-2022

People are posting about Carowinds too, but I couldn’t find a credible article as of the time of this writing.

Virginia’s winters are only a little cooler than Cincinnati’s. I wonder if KI is on the table. 

Does this mean the Cedar Fair Parks have released their 2023 calendars? Or is it just KD and Carowinds?

• Like 1

I have been expecting the announcement for Carowinds, a little surprised by Kings Dominion also going year round.  This might be a response to Busch Gardens Williamsburg which has moved to year round operations a few years ago and appears to be seeing a lot of success.  If I counted the BGW calendar correctly it is only closed 96 days of the entire year.  

Cedar Fair really needs to work on building more indoor attractions.

• Like 2

I think to a point we have been seeing a little bit of that.  Look at the new restaurant they built up at Canada`s Wonderland.  And you have the new Pavilion at Cedar Point for next year.  But yes, I agree, that they could focus more on indoor attractions.  I wonder if they will develop a food festival or something similar to attract people to the parks in January and February.

• Like 1

POV me wanting to say I rode a roller coaster in the middle of February in Ohio.

Hopefully Kings Island can / will do this soon. I personally don't mind the cold if that means I can go to my favorite amusement park. Just to at least be at the park would be great for me and other people who go though winter withdrawal. It would definitely be a mood booster and a great way to spend a rough and bleak winter.

• Like 2

I think KI would have a similar approach to operating in the winter months as they did with Winterfest where Planet Snoopy remains open as well as other family attractions. There would need to be more indoor options available for guests though. If the park ever decides to remain open on weekends between operating seasons, it would be advantageous to look back at the Crypt building in Rivertown. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is putting a small coaster into their building, so it might be something to look into for KI if the opportunity ever presented itself.

• Like 2

I would certainly hope to see more indoor attractions and indoor restaurants.

Tumbili opened on a cold weekend in mid-March. It only ran for a little bit because the temperature hovered around 34-35 degrees.

Also, how does that affect maintenance? I know some year round parks only run 1-2 trains on certain rides because there's usually one train out for yearly refurbishment.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Old Virginia, their Rivertown, wouldn't make sense to be open because it mainly just has whitewater canyon and the log flume. Grizzly is under renovation, but even if it could open it would be lonely. Jungle X is a big chunk of land, but realistically, it's a bit of a walk between the renamed avalanche and FOF. 

• Like 1

Kings Dominion basically only has their Winterfest attractions open for winter operations. I feel like more of an effort could have been made to open Flight of Fear and Racer 75 (which has been open for Winterfest in the past). Without the Winterfest shows and scenery, I feel like Kings Doninion’s winter offerings are a little light.

5 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Kings Dominion basically only has their Winterfest attractions open for winter operations. I feel like more of an effort could have been made to open Flight of Fear and Racer 75 (which has been open for Winterfest in the past). Without the Winterfest shows and scenery, I feel like Kings Doninion’s winter offerings are a little light.

If I had to guess, the decision to make Carowinds year round was likely planned out far longer than KD, I feel like the KD decision was more last minute which may not have allowed for time to fully plan out the maintenance schedule. If I remember correctly, Apple Zapple (The wild mouse) was not open for Winterfest 2022, it is now open again. My guess is that they were able to schedule a ride crew for after winterfest as well as move around the maintenance of the ride since it has so many cars because it is a wild mouse, as for other rides, they likely will have their maintenance programs optimized if this continues next year.

• Like 4

I'm surprised that Jungle X-Pedition isn't open. They just spent a whole bunch of money redoing a significant piece of the park and it even has a new signature restaurant...with indoor seating, perfect for the colder months! I think having Kings Dominion as a year-round park is a good move, but it's surprising to me that they wouldn't put an emphasis on their brand-new land redevelopment. 

• Like 6