Kings Island Announces Adventure Port for 2023

Coasterteam

I wanna note the name of the tea cup rides lore company, "Arrow Cargo Company".... 

Need a company to ship your goods? Look no further than the Arrow Cargo Company. Their methods might be a little dizzying, but they’ll get your freight from Point A to Point B…eventually. Check out the shipping barrels for yourself and get ready for the trip of your life!

• Like 3

Love the concept, but it further eroded what little was left (or could easily be reclaimed into) Oktoberfest. At this point I really wish they would just kill the Concrete Zone” area and make that Oktoberfest. Pop in 1-2 more flats to make it a bit more family friendly and really make Festhause a full “international food hall” with a strong German presence. 

• Like 5

Love this addition as well. Perfect fit for a few more flat rides that KI really needs. We've needed something like this to better round out the park. My only concern is that they save some trees along that walkway. If it turns out to have the same foliage as in the concept I'll be glad. My only worry is more shade gets cut from the park. That area currently has some of the best shade in the park.

• Like 8

This is a cool addition, being a called a port is kinda ehh considering any normal person that can swim can make it across that small pond but nonetheless this is a great addition. Hopefully we’ll get some new food options beyond just Hanks. Maybe a new menu item that is delicious but will you pay for later in the restroom called Montezuma's revenge. That would be fun, like a Spanish themed White Castle, anyone?

• Haha 3

I read a little more into it and looks like Hank's is basically just getting a facelift and being renamed so it'll still be there in another form. The announcement does mention Mercado as having drinking so I would assume that would mean Biergarten will be integrated into it under a new name just like Hank's. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

This is a cool addition, being a called a port is kinda ehh considering any normal person that can swim can make it across that small pond but nonetheless this is a great addition. Hopefully we’ll get some new food options beyond just Hanks. Maybe a new menu item that is delicious but will you pay for later in the restroom called Montezuma's revenge. That would be fun, like a Spanish themed White Castle, anyone?

It seems more “Latin American/South America” than Spanish. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess we all spoke too soon. It's so nice to have a surprise!

That's an excellent choice of flat rides, probably the two I would have chosen myself. Traditionally sized flats are just what the park was missing.

I do hope that Oktoberfest can live on in another iteration at some point. As long as Festhaus exists, we can hope it may be re-born as an Action Zone re-theme at some point. That would be a lot of work though as it would likely require a new Biergarten to be constructed and new facades for all the buildings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cedar Fair has really stepped up on theming over the last several years.    Blue Ridge Junction and now Areonautical Landing at Carowinds. The queue line for Copperhead  Strike  has a fantastic amount of quality theminh.  Jungle Xpedition and the ride rethemes at Kings Dominion are full of quality details.   Area 72 at KI finally brought that area together.      They also finally realized Frontier Canada Canada’s Wonderland Although it’s still a bit incohesive because of previous ownership

Who would’ve ever thought the company who renamed coasters Flight Deck and Stunt  Coaster Would be at the top of the theming game for regional  theme parks.

The Oktoberfest area was the area at Kings Island the most desperately needed attention. I’m a little disappointed it’s not an Oktoberfest refresh and the cheap Zamperla rides,  But regardless it will make the area much nicer and cohesive. Adventure Xpress never did go with Oktoberfest.   And Kings Island needs flat rides.   

Der Spinnen Keggers sort of returns   

It looks like the Fest Haus will be annexed into International Street   What about the pirate ship? 

• Like 5

My favorite part is that it is a nod to KI's second season flat ride additions.  They are essentially installing 2 "new" flats in precisely the same spots that they added Bayern Curve and Flying Dutchman in '73.  Its a great move, and shows that the park intends to take steps forward while keeping one foot in it's historical past.

Great addition.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Looks like Scream Extreme at Kentucky Kingdom.  

Good to know! I enjoyed Kentucky Kingdom’s, but I only rode it once. This ride is also fitting as it will be Delirium’s 20th anniversary (yeah, I feel old lol). I’m very much looking forward to exploring Adventure Port; Opening Day 2023, here I come! :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Haru-Kun said:

Please let this mean we get a full theming overhaul/restoration of Adventure Express. Concept art seems to indicate a focus on it. I think this is a good concept that anchors well with the existing coaster.

That's definitely what I'm getting out of the concept art. New, themed entrance and updated paint on the statues maybe?

I do have concerns about crowding in that area. The midway there is already a bottleneck for the park.

• Like 3

My takeaway:

Oktoberfest is a great concept that served for many years, but looking at it now it does seem like something new was bound to replace it at some point. Allowing for the section to breathe a little bit more and focus on an overall story vs a single event that happens in September makes sense. That being said, I’m excited for Adventure Port. It gives me Safari Village vibes, which was unfortunately before my time. 

I like how essentially the area complements Adventure Express. I think the biggest complaint people had was what exactly did a burrito shack, a Viking ship, a mine ride, and a slingshot really have to do with a German festival? This new concept pretty much corrects that. I think that Viking Fury and the festhaus will just be tied into international street as that makes more sense.

The two new rides that they are bringing in are callbacks to classic Kings Island rides that inhabited the same area, so in a way it seems like they had never left. People have been wanting more flat rides to come to the park and I think this is a great way to do that.

i’m excited to see what enhancements will be done to Adventure Express. Will the que have props and scenery to it like Mystic Timbers? Will there be changes to the tunnels? Will there be more things for people to see along the right? The sky’s the limit.

I think this also gives you a sense of the direction things will be going in the future. Oktoberfest always seemed like it was just the in between section between Action Zone, international Street and coney mall. It seemed like the identity had kind of slipped out over the years with some parts of the area reminiscing safari Village with Adventure Express  and then you have other aspects like the festhaus in Viking fury. This rebrand makes it truly its own thing. In a way this also allows for coney mall and Action Zone to do more their own thing. We could possibly see Action Zone getting a similar overhaul in the coming years. 

I’m excited for these changes and I look forward to seeing these next year!

• Like 3

Great additions! Kings Island and Cedar Fair have done it again. We saw Cedar Fair save a dying area last year at Kings Dominion with Jungle X-perdition, Cedar Point’s Farmhouse, and Boardwalk, Carowinds massive improvements, and Michigan Adventure’s Camp Snoopy. Now we see them bringing it to Kings Island with a wonderful retheme of Hanks, and the surrounding area.  It will bring life to area where most just walkthrough. The flat rides were  desperately needed, and will be loved for generations.  It will also buy time, and deter the general public of the vacant land which Vortex sat.  KI and CF continue rehabbing much needed areas. Started with Coney BBQ, Miami Brewhouse, and International Street.  Now we have Area 72 and Adventure Port. The future is bright, and believe me for us huge coaster fanatics The Vortex plot coaster is coming soon, and will be amazing, but until then we are going on an Adventure!

• Like 9

Great addition...I'm so glad for two new flats, KI's lineup is sorely lacking in that department. And, another ride that goes upside down; with Vortex and Firehawk's demolition, they were short in that department as well.

My only concern: on busy days, that part of the park is already a bottleneck and that's just with people passing through. I hope they widen the walkways or it's going to be shoulder to shoulder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

Love the concept, but it further eroded what little was left (or could easily be reclaimed into) Oktoberfest. At this point I really wish they would just kill the Concrete Zone” area and make that Oktoberfest. Pop in 1-2 more flats to make it a bit more family friendly and really make Festhause a full “international food hall” with a strong German presence. 

I think this makes the most sense, and as someone whose home park is Carowinds, I really hope the Action/Thrill Zones get gradually phased out at the former paramount parks. With the direction Cedar Fair is moving in, those sections feel the most generic and lacking in cohesion, so incorporating it into Oktoberfest makes the most sense to me.

• Like 1