Kings Island Announces Adventure Port for 2023

Coasterteam

KI was one of the parks that never got a B&M Invert during the initial building spree of them.

KI also never got a Floorless during the primary spree of them...

Whatever takes Vortex's spot needs to be a bold visual statement like Vortex itself was, and make up for the lost inversions. A floorless would be perfect for it. I think something like a Dive or Wing would be better suited for Action Zone.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, rlentless said:

Whatever coaster design is chosen it will be an already proven, reliable people eater.  When Terp was still on the forum and Banshee was announced, he felt it some of KI's criteria going forward.  I think by what we have seen that is still true today.

I miss Terp.

• Like 3

It will definitely be interesting to see what eventually goes in where Vortex once stood. However, if they do add something there I'd expect other major improvements to that area as well (at the very least a new food stand since the only one in that part of the park is Jukebox Diner, which doesn't handle crowds all that well)

• Like 2

My genuine thoughts:

When I first learned of this, I was a little shocked. Oktoberfest is one of the original areas of the park, and seeing it go is a tiny bit sad, for me at least. However, this isn't the first time an area of the park has been rethemed (just look at the kids area and all the rethemes it has gone through in 50 years).

I've made a thread and several others on here have made threads on theming in Oktoberfest and I think we all agree that the theming in Oktoberfest has been very lacking for many many years. Frankly, considering the rides already present, this re-theme not only makes sense, but I honestly like the concept. This will be the first major update to this area since 2002, and AE is getting refurbished theming as well. Im excited.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Alright KI lore experts- how does this AE touch up for this work into the 11th Commandment?

On 10/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

Listen, Kings Island. You might be new around these parts, but there's this little thing we like to call the Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not mess with Adventure Express, or now you will pay.

...And I think I have a lot of faith that Adventure Express is going to be in top shape next year.

I'm over the moon about this. I can't wait for next year.

;)

• Like 1

Has Kings Island confirmed the type of Zamperela Endeavour Sol Spin will be? I REALLY hope to see the 48 passenger model over the 24 passenger model, but Kings Island’s website says the ride will go 60 feet in the air which is closer to the diameter of the 24 passenger model than the 48 passenger model. In some of the concept art, it appears to be the 48 passenger model, but in other renderings, it appears to be the 24 passenger model.

1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

I can`t imagine KI going with the 24 person model.  The big difference between the two is if the rider seats are single or double in each position.  I would think from a capacity standpoint, they would opt for 48.

I agree with you, but Kings Island does mention Sol Spin goes 60 feet in the air which is closer to the dimensions of the 24 passenger model. The 24 passenger model has a diameter of just over 60 feet while the 48 passenger model has a diameter of just over 65 feet. I feel like Kings Island would say the ride goes 65 feet in the air if it actually does. I hope I am wrong, though, and it is the 48 passenger model.

44 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I agree with you, but Kings Island does mention Sol Spin goes 60 feet in the air which is closer to the dimensions of the 24 passenger model. The 24 passenger model has a diameter of just over 60 feet while the 48 passenger model has a diameter of just over 65 feet. I feel like Kings Island would say the ride goes 65 feet in the air if it actually does. I hope I am wrong, though, and it is the 48 passenger model.

From the specs on Zamperla's website, the height in operation is 20.5 m ( 67.3 ft) for the 24 passenger and 20.9 m ( 68.6 ft) for the 48 passenger.

https://www.zamperla.com/products/endeavour/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what the Zamperla site says:

Open air, suspended passenger vehicles give riders the sensation of flying sixty feet through the air at 25 miles per hour.

This is what it says on the KI web site: 

Climb aboard these open air, suspended passenger vehicles to experience the thrill of flying 60 feet through the air at 25 m.p.h.

My thoughts: It just looks like a few words were changed around.  I would expect based upon KIs desire for high capacity that we will get the 48 person model.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 12:11 AM, Oldiesmann said:

It will definitely be interesting to see what eventually goes in where Vortex once stood. However, if they do add something there I'd expect other major improvements to that area as well (at the very least a new food stand since the only one in that part of the park is Jukebox Diner, which doesn't handle crowds all that well)

And perhaps split that area off of Coney into its own themed area.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

We might get the 48 passenger version.

Going by the artwork I count 24 "cars" but it may be two abreast, which would be 48.  Hard to tell from the rendering.  Hopefully it is the 48.  With the attendance KI has been getting it seem the capacity would come to good use.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, robintodd said:

Going by the artwork I count 24 "cars" but it may be two abreast, which would be 48.  Hard to tell from the rendering.  Hopefully it is the 48.  With the attendance KI has been getting it seem the capacity would come to good use.

I made the assumption we are getting the 48 when I made the new page for the ride last week. I hope we are all correct. https://kicentral.com/rides/sol-spin/

• Like 3

if the get the 24 person model that would be a shame.  It’s  a budget cut that would sacrifice capacity and customer satisfaction.     KI is well attended and they need higher capacity rides.    

They already went on the “cheap” side with these Zamperla rides.  The video I saw of an Endeavour makes it look like a budget enterprise.    It doesn’t look like it fully inverts like an enterprise. 

• Like 1

My earliest memories of this area of the park have Skylab still operating but I don't remember Der Spinnen Keggers, Flying Dutchman, or Ferris Wheel. So I started doing some research (the KICentral History Page is so helpful!) and I hope some of you will be able to answer my lingering questions. The picture below was posted on the Kings Island Season Pass Holders page and has some great details if you look closely.

First, some background starting with Adventure Express opening in 1991.

Skylab operated from 1986 to 1997 so it co-existed with Adventure Express for a long time. Fun fact, just out of view of the Facebook picture is the queue for Skylab which still exists as a games storage building. (Circled in yellow in google maps screen-cap) The rope climb game sits on part of the concrete pad that Skylab sat on. I find it interested that this concrete will probably be replaced for Adventure Express's new entrance so that Skylab's successor can go where AE's original entrance was.

Flying Dutchman operated from 1973 to 1990. What I find most interesting is that it appears Adventure Express's entrance was built around the pad for Flying Dutchman. You can see clearly how AE's entrance is curved and you can make out the rest of the circle just outside of AE's exit. Is this another case of a ride being removed for future expansion when it clearly didn't need to be, like Flying Eagles? Credit to Pinterest for an image of Flying Dutchman. It appears that the pathway that became AE's entrance, existed before AE was built. Anyone know what this was for?

In looking at the concept art, it looks like Sol Spin will sit exactly where Flying Dutchman once was and AE's old entrance will become the entrance to Sol Spin.

spacer.png

Capture146543165479612.PNG

Capture149495481.PNG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Here is something else to consider:

Looking closely at the concept art, I can see a few (what appear to me as) Palm trees.

What kind of landscaping changes could be done for the retheme?

I'm thinking we'll likely see the concrete ripped up and replaced with pavers. One thing I'm concerned about with the decorations is how are the Grand Carnivale floats going to fit through there with the flags flying there? Will they be high enough so the floats can go through? Will they reroute the parade a little bit? We know Carnivale is coming back next year. 

• Like 2

I think this will be a great addition to KI. As much as I hate to see Octoberfest go, it seems phasing it out has been happening over the years. I do like suggestions that I have read about including it more in the International Street part of KI. Seems very fitting and I would love to see it become more international like it was, years ago.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, KIBeast said:

I think this will be a great addition to KI. As much as I hate to see Octoberfest go, it seems phasing it out has been happening over the years. I do like suggestions that I have read about including it more in the International Street part of KI. Seems very fitting and I would love to see it become more international like it was, years ago.

Is Oktoberfest going anywhere? We lose Biergarden, but everything else stays the same. It mostly is an untamed area getting an update afaik.

• Like 1