I consider Coney Mall to be two sections. Do you?

SonofBaconator

When I walk through Coney Mall, I feel like I’m in two sections. The 1st section is the part by the beginning of Racer and ends at Zephyr. After that, you have the second section that goes from the Killmart building to WindSeeker and over to Backlot Stunt Coaster. I know this is all one section (and from a rides standpoint, BLSC and SRR are Rivertown rides), but I always felt like the back part of Coney Mall was it’s own section for some weird reason. Am I alone in this feeling?

• Like 1

I can see where it would feel that way. For example it felt more like one section before Antique Autos took out the left side of.the midway and when Vortex was still around. To me Stunt Cars have never felt like they were in Coney Mall but they technically are. I honestly associate Stunt Cars with International Street because it's right behind the Tower however the entrance is clearly a Branch off of Coney Mall because Rivertown doesn't start til you get to the Laroses pizza

• Like 4

I can understand that. The difference between the front and back halves of Coney Mall was less pronounced pre-Kings Mills Antique Autos and arguably pre-WindSeeker, in my opinion. I really like the look of KMAA and the look of the Killmart building during the regular season, but when you toss in the removal of Vortex, it kinda makes that area feel half-finished and disconnected from the rest of Coney Mall. I would love to see something be done that brings the rest of that end (or Coney as a whole) into the vibe that KMAA and Killmart have.

• Like 3

Keep in mind, that originally, Coney Mall ended at where Zephyr is.  It was not until 1975 with the addition of the Zodiac and Shake Rattle and Roll did the Coney Mall midway get extended.  They also angled the midway in that spot so it isn`t a straight run from The Racer down to the Antique Autos plaza.

• Like 3

I think it would be cool to make that back half of Coney Mall the BLSC path become its own section. After the park added A72 and announced Adventure Port, I’ve become interested in the idea of smaller sections that focus more on a specific story. If they take the back part of Coney Mall and retheme it to something new, they could accomplish that.

7C13AF65-B6D0-42CF-8718-0C350DB9E1E7.jpeg

Just a thought 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think it would be cool to make that back half of Coney Mall the BLSC path become its own section. After the park added A72 and announced Adventure Port, I’ve become interested in the idea of smaller sections that focus more on a specific story. If they take the back part of Coney Mall and retheme it to something new, they could accomplish that.

383A9BAF-0D79-4071-99F5-CC61221E5188.jpeg

Just a thought 

What's always amazing to me is how the original Coney Mall, at Cincinnati's Coney Island, was essentially only about 3/4 of the length of the current Coney Mall at KI.  It was wider, of course, but for those that went to CCI and then went to KI when it opened, it had to seem huge.  I've always wanted to take the time to try and do one of those "overlays" to actually see how they measure up.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

7C13AF65-B6D0-42CF-8718-0C350DB9E1E7.jpeg

Just a thought 

I was actually thinking about that when it comes to replacing Vortex. Make the whole area that includes Vortex's replacement, Backlot, antique autos, SR&R, WindSeeker, and the jukebox diner into its own separate area. Maybe do what Valleyfair did with Route 76 and call it Route 72 and have it be 1950s/60s style theming with overhead lighting and stuff. 

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I was actually thinking about that when it comes to replacing Vortex. Make the whole area that includes Vortex's replacement, Backlot, antique autos, SR&R, WindSeeker, and the jukebox diner into its own separate area. Maybe do what Valleyfair did with Route 76 and call it Route 72 and have it be 1950s/60s style theming with overhead lighting and stuff. 

I really like that idea 325!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think this your best idea yet!

It feels very secluded from the rest of Coney Mall. The area is devoid of games besides 3-Point Challenge around the corner and the loss of Vortex.

It's probably the Kings Island purist in me talking, but I kinda like how long it is and I'm a bit iffy about cutting it off past Zephyr (This is where Coney stopped from 1972 to 1974). That would only leave Racer, the three original flats plus Zephyr. I like the idea of KMAA being in Coney as a lot of classic parks have some sort of auto ride or a turnpike. Coney Mall needs flat rides, so I'm a little opposed to cutting Shake Rattle & Roll off from the rest of Coney. When The Vortex replacement comes, I would love to see Coney Mall receive the International Street 2019 treatment and be reimagined while retaining the same basic theme and utilize the Coney name in some way.

The pathway between Coney and Rivertown by Backlot is another story.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 8:56 AM, johnjniehaus said:

I can see where it would feel that way. For example it felt more like one section before Antique Autos took out the left side of.the midway and when Vortex was still around. To me Stunt Cars have never felt like they were in Coney Mall but they technically are. I honestly associate Stunt Cars with International Street because it's right behind the Tower however the entrance is clearly a Branch off of Coney Mall because Rivertown doesn't start til you get to the Laroses pizza

Never thought about this before, but I wonder if it technically was considered part of International Street when it was the ITALLIAN Job (yes, yes, I'm sure maps place it in Coney; but I agree, it doesn't feel like a fit). 

That whole side of the park has always felt a bit haphazard to me because the theme areas on that side really don't have the distinct boundaries or feels of, say, Rivertown and Planet Snoopy (or even IS). Action Zone just kind of tumbles into Oktoberfest, which sort of feels part of Coney unless you're sitting right outside Festhaus. Adventure Port should help with that, giving it a clearer distinction; hopefully they can focus on theming for Action Zone down the line, too. 

As for Coney, I agree; I feel like what I think of as Coney Mall is just that stretch alongside Racer back to WindSeeker. The path along Backlot to The Beast always feels like it's own separate, almost backstage area (when The Vortex was there, I think it felt more like a part of the park. But with the fencing and empty field behind it, it just feels like an annex area).  

• Like 1

Okay, I mentioned before I had a plan for redoing Backlot in a way that would establish it fully as a Coney ride and also make it look a lot nicer, so I'll actually type that up here.

- Bust up all the concrete, remove all the gravel, and remove the "parking garage" facade.

- Ditch and replace the shipping containers or paint them to look like normal buildings.

- Repaint everything in bright colors and put a bunch of nice landscaping around everything, including the removal of the former water feature at the end and all the gravel around the final turn and brakes.

- Remove ALL existing theme elements, and bring in someone like Daniels Woodland to totally re-theme it to a large, classic funhouse. A full size coaster version of the carnival-like "funhouse ride" attractions. Put some glass or mirrors around the existing "police chase" area, leading up until the "subway stairs" drop, which could be fully enclosed (potentially all the way until the midcourse stop) with light effects to become a dark ride-like element.

- The midcourse stop scene becomes a suitable, theme-matching scene, without any fire or water effects. Funhouse-like light show and classic effects. Tunnel entrance could be a clown like Enchanted Voyage had inside.

- Tunnel becomes the main dark ride element with lighting and projection effects.

- Billboard exit stays the same but no more hunk-of-concrete abandoned pool or gravel, theme accordingly with elements around the drop and entrance/exit bridge, and then perhaps one final tunnel is added for the last turn.

- Station area is completely redesigned to theme, same with the shells for the trains.

- Entrance plaza loses majority of the concrete, with the access point closest to Rivertown being removed and the brick wall put back in place, entrance and exit gain theming as well and only uses the access point on the Coney side, potentially even closing the other existing one and routing it in place of the Three-Point Shootout, to firmly establish the ride's place in Coney instead of the strange halfway-down-the-path situation.

- Plant a bunch of trees all around, including the now-removed parts of the entrance plaza to bring the old feel back to that pathway.

- No new named area, but Rouse is brought in to spruce up the existing "back 40" of Coney including the redone entrance to the now-formerly-Backlot, and Vortex's replacement could join "Funhouse Coaster", SR&R, WindSeeker, KMAA and Jukebox in the still-Coney-Mall, but revamped, back section.

- The restored serpentine brick wall leading over to the restrooms and midway intersection is now a more well-defined transition into Rivertown.

• Like 4

On 10/20/2022 at 12:29 PM, Shaggy said:

What's always amazing to me is how the original Coney Mall, at Cincinnati's Coney Island, was essentially only about 3/4 of the length of the current Coney Mall at KI.  It was wider, of course, but for those that went to CCI and then went to KI when it opened, it had to seem huge.  I've always wanted to take the time to try and do one of those "overlays" to actually see how they measure up.  

KI Coney Mall is not much longer than the original. 

ConeyMall.png

On 10/20/2022 at 10:29 AM, DoomPlague said:

I consider it all Coney Mall but with the way the Antique Autos wiped out part of the midway there, that corner feels more like its own thing. They could easily retheme the area including Backlot, The Vortex plot and WindSeeker as something else.

Transportation theme. It’s got air flight, fast cars, slow cars-could something be made of SRR to tie into that?

On 10/21/2022 at 4:37 PM, PKIDelirium said:

Okay, I mentioned before I had a plan for redoing Backlot in a way that would establish it fully as a Coney ride and also make it look a lot nicer, so I'll actually type that up here.

- Bust up all the concrete, remove all the gravel, and remove the "parking garage" facade.

- Ditch and replace the shipping containers or paint them to look like normal buildings.

- Repaint everything in bright colors and put a bunch of nice landscaping around everything, including the removal of the former water feature at the end and all the gravel around the final turn and brakes.

- Remove ALL existing theme elements, and bring in someone like Daniels Woodland to totally re-theme it to a large, classic funhouse. A full size coaster version of the carnival-like "funhouse ride" attractions. Put some glass or mirrors around the existing "police chase" area, leading up until the "subway stairs" drop, which could be fully enclosed (potentially all the way until the midcourse stop) with light effects to become a dark ride-like element.

- The midcourse stop scene becomes a suitable, theme-matching scene, without any fire or water effects. Funhouse-like light show and classic effects. Tunnel entrance could be a clown like Enchanted Voyage had inside.

- Tunnel becomes the main dark ride element with lighting and projection effects.

- Billboard exit stays the same but no more hunk-of-concrete abandoned pool or gravel, theme accordingly with elements around the drop and entrance/exit bridge, and then perhaps one final tunnel is added for the last turn.

- Station area is completely redesigned to theme, same with the shells for the trains.

- Entrance plaza loses majority of the concrete, with the access point closest to Rivertown being removed and the brick wall put back in place, entrance and exit gain theming as well and only uses the access point on the Coney side, potentially even closing the other existing one and routing it in place of the Three-Point Shootout, to firmly establish the ride's place in Coney instead of the strange halfway-down-the-path situation.

- Plant a bunch of trees all around, including the now-removed parts of the entrance plaza to bring the old feel back to that pathway.

- No new named area, but Rouse is brought in to spruce up the existing "back 40" of Coney including the redone entrance to the now-formerly-Backlot, and Vortex's replacement could join "Funhouse Coaster", SR&R, WindSeeker, KMAA and Jukebox in the still-Coney-Mall, but revamped, back section.

- The restored serpentine brick wall leading over to the restrooms and midway intersection is now a more well-defined transition into Rivertown.

Good thoughts, but I would just as soon ship Backlot (coaster only) to Michigan's Adventure.

On the site make a new Swan Lake. This would bring back some of the beauty we lost in 2008.

image.pngimage.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, beastfan11 said:

I can’t believe how dramatically Diamondback altered/ruined that area of the park. They quite literally removed every tree they could for that project. Definitely removed some of the charm from Rivertown. 

I don’t disagree that DB changed the landscape, but I argue TR:TR had worst placement of any ride in that section:

http://www.dafe.org/articles/darkrides/tombRaiderTheRide.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don’t disagree that DB changed the landscape, but I argue TR:TR had worst placement of any ride in that section:

http://www.dafe.org/articles/darkrides/tombRaiderTheRide.html

Yea when it opened it was very out of place there. It is at least easy enough to retheme to fit the area by turning the cave into a mine and swap out landscaping. 

I love Diamondback, but agree that it's station/splashdown/brake run really killed the charm of swan lake and made it a lot more barren in that area. This along with BLSC replacing the antique cars and it's beautiful landscaping right across the path really hurt that area. BLSC (Italian Job) opening in 05, then to turn around and start construction in 07 for Diamondback was a real one-two punch for that section.