Potential Surf

dropdasher

SeaWorld Orlando just announced Pipeline: The Surf Coaster. With KI having a lack of inversions and a launch, what is the potential that KI ever gets a surf? After seeing Pipeline announced, my guess is it will be the eventual replacement to Vortex or (heaven forbid because there’s a lot of other space) Congo Falls/Invertigo plot. With Cedar Fair trying to capture nostalgia, I’m guessing it would be themed to King Cobra 

• Like 4

This is a pretty good speculation and it would be a ton of sense with replacing King Cobra, but only when it comes to the standup perspective.

The problem I have with this theory is that the surf coaster, while you may be standing, is not intended to be focused on a standing motion, but more on a surfing, hence the slight crouching and the seat movement. If I were KI, I would team up with S&S. Not only do they have the air launches, but they also own Vekoma, which would be a much better choice for replacing Vortex. I still could totally see a surf going to KI, but I don’t think it would be smart to build one for King Cobra nostalgia, and I also think that there are much better options when it comes to replacing Vortex.

You can tell I’ve been thinking on this ever since the announcement XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's a possibility, though I don't think it will be the next coaster Kings Island adds. The Surf Coaster is a model that B&M just introduced, and Kings Island (under Cedar Fair) isn't the type of park that adds all-new coaster concepts. In addition, we don't know how successful the Surf Coaster is going to be just yet. Maybe it if becomes successful in the future Kings Island might add one, but for now I think there are other B&M models that have higher odds of being added for the park's next coaster.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThrillKingsOryan said:

SeaWorld Orlando just announced Pipeline: The Surf Coaster. With KI having a lack of inversions and a launch, what is the potential that KI ever gets a surf? After seeing Pipeline announced, my guess is it will be the eventual replacement to Vortex or (heaven forbid because there’s a lot of other space) Congo Falls/Invertigo plot. With Cedar Fair trying to capture nostalgia, I’m guessing it would be themed to King Cobra 

Pipeline only has one inversion though, this may not be a model that is heavy on inversions. The seats might have something to do with that. We also have two launch coasters, one thrilling for adults and another more family oriented. While that's not a lot I wouldn't call it a lack either. 

I'll second an extreme spinner! Time Traveler is much preferred to Copperhead Strike. Although an S&S 4d or Axis are only second to an Intamin.

30 minutes ago, matt112986 said:

Pipeline only has one inversion though, this may not be a model that is heavy on inversions. The seats might have something to do with that. We also have two launch coasters, one thrilling for adults and another more family oriented. While that's not a lot I wouldn't call it a lack either. 

I'll second an extreme spinner! Time Traveler is much preferred to Copperhead Strike. Although an S&S 4d or Axis are only second to an Intamin.

I feel as though if Kings Island were to get another launch coaster, it would probably be best to have something unique about it that stands out from the other two launch coasters in the park (besides the use of LSMs). Although I do feel the surf coaster could fill that niche well, I feel it might be better to go with a model like the Mack Extreme Spinner or a launched B&M Wing Coaster that could probably offer more in a layout than a Surf Coaster. However, Pipeline is currently the only Surf Coaster confirmed as of now, so I think it is a bit early to say what the Surf Coaster is capable of layout-wise.

And yes, I do agree that an Extreme Spinner would probably be the best candidate for a new coaster that isn't an Intamin or RMC.

• Like 2

In all seriousness, a Mack extreme spinner would be perfect in the lineup. KI needs a spinning coaster (that’s isn’t surf dog XD)

Other ones I could see are an RMC Raptor or hyper hybrid and I could also see them maybe going the CP route and getting a Zamperla twister. This wouldn’t be Vortex’s replacement, but more of a classic family ride to go in the Coney Mall area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

A spinner would be unique to the area, but I don't know how well received it would be. Many people avoid spinning flats.

Reliability and capacity seem to be a mantra with ki.  That seems to exclude several coaster design companies.  

Then there's a recent NOC that lists a company that has both reliability and capacity...

• 1 month later...

IMO, I think a surf coaster has the potential to be something cool to bring back to KI. I would even name it King Kobra. B&M can design it with as many inversions as can be accomplished with said model and whatever KI is willing to invest in it. Like others have said, I would wait and see how well this coaster is received by the GP and monitor any reliability issues. 

• Like 1

For all that is sacred, PLEASE let them take @IndyGuy4KIs suggestion/wish/advice and do a Mack or RMC, or Vekoma as far as that goes!  I don't care if it's an Extreme Spinner, Axis, Twister, or a frickin RMC version of a Wild Mouse, just PLEASE (and this is the ONLY time you will see me utter this ridiculous phrase) "drain the swamp" and do something different!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KIBeast said:

I agree @IBEW_Sparky. I would also like to see a Mack. I would prefer something like Copperhead Strike would be a great addition. 

Yes I agree! I would love to see a Mack multi-launch in The Vortex plot! 

I feel like we need something that guests can just sit and watch a coaster go by and say wow just watching it go by. I would really like to see Mack do a stall over the path way that leads to Rivertown from Coney Mall. Orion has the wave turn but it is hard to see it from the path. So an element of some kind like a stall that I mentioned that interacts with the guests and makes them say I want to go ride that one. Like the Hive Dive for Fury.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

My argument for why we should get a Surf:

1. Nostalgia sells. King cobra is in that sweet spot of being gone just long enough for older audiences to remember it and for younger audiences to get interested in it. The park has been appealing to people’s nostalgia a lot. They brought back the antique cars, they brought back a smaller version of the flying Eagles, they brought some of the train theming back, they brought some classical paint schemes back, they brought back the Phantom Theater in the form of show, and now they’re bringing back modern versions of two classic flat rides. Park goers have loved the return of these attractions so why not bring back another in a modern way?
  2. B&M. Not only is it manufactured right down the road, but park goers have become extremely fond of Orion, Banshee, and Diamondback since they’ve debuted. Their capacity is great and they’re reliable.
  3. If the trains flop, swap them out. If the trains end up not being a success, they could be swapped with floorless or even sit down trains. Not ideal or something that should be wanted with any ride….but most of B&M’s sit down trains are compatible with their sit down coasters (sit down, staggered, floorless). Like I said, not ideal but not a terrible worst case scenario
  4. It could help ease the loss of another KI coaster. Invertigo isn’t going to be around forever so replacing it (and Congo falls) with a brand new coaster would soften the blow. Even though Pipeline is a launched coaster doesn’t mean ours would have to be. It could be a nice to have a traditional L shaped chain lift coaster. Imagine it with a cobra roll which would not only be a play on the name but also pay homage to Invertigo.
  • Like 3

I think the Surf coaster is a misstep.  Stand ups died off for a reason, and the ones already running have their lines die off quickly.  I'm not sure they will take off again unless B&M found a way to make them significantly more comfortable.

EDIT: I finally saw the trains in pictures, the vest restraints should help, but bicycle seats + stand up + positive G's = mass discomfort.  Also, I've had my fare share of bus rides where I was forced to ride standing up, and I will say that wasn't very ideal, so the thought of doing a launched stand up coaster sounds like a bad idea. High speeds and larger elements also contribute to higher positive G's which is what you don't want a lot of on a stand up.  At parks with stand ups, I always ride them early as if I ride them later, my legs really don't like it after walking around a lot. The layout at Sea World has an inversion, a horseshoe, and several helices, curves and s-bends.

Also, all stand ups by default don't have the best capacity due to having to manually adjust each seat to each rider.  I remember Mantis and Green Lantern at NJFTP having pretty slow dispatch times and constantly stacking all the trains and having 28-32 seats to adjust and check. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, Wolf Like Me said:

Exactly. I think it's too early to be calling for our own version of Pipeline before it even opens. 

An additional argument. Could we please get another coaster manufacturer for our next install before we look at another B&M model. I enjoy our three B&M's, but it's time for some variety. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

An additional argument. Could we please get another coaster manufacturer for our next install before we look at another B&M model. I enjoy our three B&M's, but it's time for some variety. 

I don’t mind more B&Ms since they are fun, reliable, and people eaters. But do agree I wouldn’t mind something a bit different next. Really think either a Gerstlauer infinity or a Mack multi-launch (or Intamin blitz if that was an option) would be great next. Maybe also an RMC hybrid to fully round out the woodie collection .

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Not saying it is going to happen, but you can fit a surf in if you just tear down the SOB station and use the wooded area along the parking lot and between Bat and Timberwolf. Just a rough drawing I came up with. It also has an MCBR to allow it to run 3 trains. 

image.png

I never thought of having the station there and immediately turning around and coming back the other way. I like it! 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to hear what folks are saying about Pipeline when it officially opens to the public. I am cautiously curious about it. However, I still can't personally get behind the idea of stand-ups having a wide spread renaissance amongst parks. It's more of a novelty experience IMHO and Sea World falls into a novelty experience park, again, IMHO. 

• Like 5