Potential Surf

dropdasher

6 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

It will be interesting to hear what folks are saying about Pipeline when it officially opens to the public. I am cautiously curious about it. However, I still can't personally get behind the idea of stand-ups having a wide spread renaissance amongst parks. It's more of a novelty experience IMHO and Sea World falls into a novelty experience park, again, IMHO. 

Very true, to go with that novelty experience, the best place at KI for one would be Rivertown. That is a stretch, for I am not really sure how well you can tie that into a river either.

• Like 1

I have been on a few standups and honestly King Cobra was my faviorte.  These things hurt and are super slow at loading.  We were in line for the one at Carowinds and only a station wait.  It still took 15-20 minutes to dispatch a single train.  Our time was limited and we left the line.  Hopefully the surf coaster fixes this issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One thing I just noticed in the animation is that the seats have some give to them and aren't rigid, they bounce a bit.  That actually sounds it might make it a tad more comfortable, but I'm still not buying it until I see reviews come out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

One thing I just noticed in the animation is that the seats have some give to them and aren't rigid, they bounce a bit.  That actually sounds it might make it a tad more comfortable, but I'm still not buying it until I see reviews come out. 

King Cobra's seats did have a "give" to them to.  It was most noticable in the loop.  The seat would lower a little where your knees would bend.  Of course this may have also been due to the forces experienced during the loop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robintodd said:

King Cobra's seats did have a "give" to them to.  It was most noticable in the loop.  The seat would lower a little where your knees would bend.  Of course this may have also been due to the forces experienced during the loop.

Must have not worked when I rode it or Shockwave because I never noticed it. 

23 minutes ago, txdrummer said:

My experience with Shockwave many years ago had the seats move while loading to stand up without the knees bent. The seats /harness would lock in place before dispatch.

All stand ups have that, I meant that the ones on the Surf coaster can still bounce during the ride a little bit according to the animations. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, txdrummer said:

That, and the launch

I was surprised that B&M agreed to debut new trains WITH a launch. The company has always been known to play it safe and considering they’ve only done two launches prior to their Surf coaster, its certainly interesting that they would debut new trains on something that wasn’t a chain lift styled ride.

Maybe they agreed to make it launched because the trains were standup and having a standard chain lift would mean riders would be standing for longer on the lift hill.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

My question is- is the launch crucial to a good experience? Not to say that some people don’t already prefer launches to lift hills but would a surf coaster with a chain lift be a bad experience?

Do you think there’s a defining factor when it comes to chain lift vs. launch? Maybe it’s a comfort thing, but I’m not sure if there would be that much of a difference. 

I feel like “launch” is the way to go. Looks like a good time. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Do you think there’s a defining factor when it comes to chain lift vs. launch?

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Would people be just as comfortable riding a surf coaster if it had a standard lift? For example let’s say that our park orders one with a chain lift- would there be a noticed difference in comfort or would it be the same?

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Would people be just as comfortable riding a surf coaster if it had a standard lift? For example let’s say that our park orders one with a chain lift- would there be a noticed difference in comfort or would it be the same?

I think the launch is an added “gimmick” that could draw a lot of attention. Guess it’s time for that King Cobra revival. Ha. 

• Like 1

After watching a few videos of this coaster, it definitely looks like a lot of fun. I still stand by my statement of it being a novelty experience but it definitely looks like a great time. I think the layout appears to be a more realistic chain of events that most riders can handle comfortably vs the longer and more intense layouts of stand-ups past. The airtime moments on this thing where folks literally come up off of their feet looks crazy fun. 

https://youtu.be/Uogymbk2VCI

After seeing videos of the concept now in action I have a much better impression of the new stand-up design & I gotta say I'm impressed! If a manufacturer sees upgrade potential in a product that's often bottom ranked rollercoasters, then B&M looks to have (FINALLY) fixed Stand Up rollercoasters!

Pipeline at SeaWorld showcases the first product wonderfully and looks like it's a hit with fans and guests. If this is where Surf Coasters begin it is my hope they go all out with the airtime on the next iteration!

I can't believe I'm actually about to say this after vowing to never ride another...

I'm kinda excited to ride this standup one day. While I am against the idea of Kings Island getting another B&M for their next coaster. If it's a Surf I'll have no problem with that! Bring on the return of King Cobra!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

A surf would be easy enough out park market, especially considering that our park got rid of its standup far earlier than other parks across the chain. I don’t think many KD, CWL, or CP fans miss their stand ups the way KI fans miss theirs.

When I was younger, I was super heartbroken over King Cobra's removal. I never got to ride as I was too short (there was not a height checker that day, so they lowered me down as much as they could and I was still standing on my tip-toes), At the time I don't think I cared, but after it got removed, I mourned its loss for years...

34 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

When I was younger, I was super heartbroken over King Cobra's removal. I never got to ride as I was too short (there was not a height checker that day, so they lowered me down as much as they could and I was still standing on my tip-toes), At the time I don't think I cared, but after it got removed, I mourned its loss for years...

That’s unfortunate. Like you, I think people missed out on it because of height restrictions. Then there comes down to the matter of comfort. I think it was removed before people could grow to dislike it. King Cobra lived to be 17 where as sister stand ups Shockwave and SkyRider both lived to be 29. I’m sure there were people who rode KC in its 17 year stint that found the ride uncomfortable, but the ride itself didn’t live long enough to get the same hate that SW and SR received.

Much like Phantom Theater, King Cobra is in that marketing sweet spot where it had existed long enough for people to have fondly remembered it but, more importantly, it’s been gone long enough for people to have started wanting it back as they start to get feelings of nostalgia. 

With a new style of train proving popular with riders, I think the Surf Coaster is an opportunity that shouldn’t be passed up; especially for Kings Island and it’s recent desire to appeal to nostalgia by bringing back former attractions.

Yes it would be another B&M which some people grown about but from a marketing standpoint, it makes perfect sense, and unfortunately no other manufacturers have really delved into the stand up model that I know of. And yes, there’s a gaping plot of land behind Backlot that can’t go overlooked also, but shifting priorities and prolonging the empty field could benefit the park as it would continue to generate buzz over the coming years and create a demand for a new attraction; assuming they don’t have something in the works already.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 2:44 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Not saying it is going to happen, but you can fit a surf in if you just tear down the SOB station and use the wooded area along the parking lot and between Bat and Timberwolf. Just a rough drawing I came up with. It also has an MCBR to allow it to run 3 trains. 

image.png

honestly, as cool as this would be, i wouldnt want this to happen. Kings Island's wooded areas are one of my favorite parts and its what makes the park so beautiful. id like to see them build a denser coaster in Vortex's plot of land to give The Beast its secluded feeling back instead

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...