Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

I hope they relocated the two redbud trees that were planted during the 2022 offseason.  I'm fortunate enough to have tons of them on my farm growing wild, they are beautiful specimen trees.

It would be cool if they would plant some pawpaw trees.  They are a subtropical species  but have a very tropical look and are native to the area.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping to see Vortex plot in 2024or2025. I think there's potential to work with the terrain there that Vortex didn't always take advantage of. The boomerang was cool because it was so low to the ground and appeared to be in a trench so to speak from the walkway. However, most of the ride was strangely very high up off the ground....I hope the new coaster has some low to the ground sections that can utilize a bit of that hill/valley area of the plot. I think it's great when coasters match the terrain they are built on and around....one reason The Beast is still my #1 wooden coaster! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

always a dicey proposition for parks in the north/midwest to start a project and finish by opening day. See The Beast this past season.  50 degrees is usually the ideal lowest temp for pouring concrete. It can be done below 50 but that requires additives to the process. So yea i guess this is off topic but I can see them pouring concrete for the buildings in the cold weather. Probably not for the 2 new rides though. 

• Like 3

Just be prepared, it has a good chance of not being done by opening day. I imagine it'll be like how KD handled Jungle X-Pedition, since they continually kept adding more stuff to it as the season went on. It was much more in a "finished" state during the fall than it was in March. 

Granted, there was a whole new roller coaster with the KD expansion, but Ohio winters can be brutal and almost randomly blanket the park in a lot of snow. 

• Like 4

I agree it may not be 100% but Cedar Fair is pretty good at getting rides open in time for opening day.  This false spring in NKY right now keeps making me think opening day is soon.  He have had over 100 degree temperature swing in a week.  We sent from running the heat non-stop to having the Windows open.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

Looks like they are working right now.

Screenshot_20230111_150705_Samsung Internet.jpg

I noticed that earlier this morning when I decided to watch for a while. They have been working since this morning in that spot. I didn’t realize that is how far Adventure port would stretch!

Does anyone know what the white building behind Orion’s lift is for? I saw a lot of Trucks go down there earlier.

• Like 2

I was thinking more about the potential ride removal in the California's Great America thread and it got me to thinking more about the Adventure Port concept art and the land movement that we can see from the live web cam.  In the original concept art the two trailers behind the Coke Marketplace were still there and they have recently been removed (they look to be the trailers currently in front of the basketball game on the webcam.

All-new Adventure Port themed area at Kings Island amusement park.

image.png

When looking at the webcam and with the land movement last week, it does make me wonder if something else is coming.  Looking at the concept art it appears that the exit from Adventure Express will be staying the same (while the entrance queue as noted in the press release is changing).  Doing the measurements online thru Google Earth, Berserker (a Bayern Kurve), Centifuge (a Schwarzkopf Calypso), and Peanuts Pirates (a Huss Breakdance 4) would each fit in that space. 

Of the three, Centrifuge probably makes the least sense since it has a very similar ride experience to Cargo Loco being just a short walk away, but the other two make a ton of sense.  As we know KI likes nostalgia and Cargo Loco and Sol Spin are sort of spiritual successors to Der Spinnin' Keggers and Skylab respectively.  The original Bayern Kurve was roughly where Delirium's queue is now so Berserker would be a great fit in that spot.  From the Google Maps image below, if you started behind the basketball game to about halfway across the old ladder game, you can get one of those rides to fit.  Will it happen? I don't know but it is curious that the permit for the ride addition (of Windstarz)/ and subsequent ride removal at CGA was just published on January 12 and the ground movement at KI for that section was taking place right around the same time.

image.png     

• Like 7

It also appears that the games storage building behind the Coke Marketplace and basketball game is split in half? Maybe it is also in the process of coming down. It is not in the Adventure Port concept art (perhaps it is just covered by trees), but it’s removal would open up a lot more space. Another flat ride would most likely fit back there.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

That is a good sign. While the concrete in Oktoberfest did not look that bad as it was relatively new (it was poured when Banshee opened), pavers make any area look way better. I was honestly a little disappointed when Kings Island decided to pour new concrete in Area 72 after digging out the old concrete. It just does not age as well as pavers or look as nice. It is better than asphalt, though. The asphalt walkway between Area 72 and Coney Mall already looks pretty bad with all its cracks after only a few years.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

That is a good sign. While the concrete in Oktoberfest did not look that bad as it was relatively new (it was poured when Banshee opened), pavers make any area look way better. I was honestly a little disappointed when Kings Island decided to pour new concrete in Area 72 after digging out the old concrete. It just does not age as well as pavers or look as nice. It is better than asphalt, though. The asphalt walkway between Area 72 and Coney Mall already looks pretty bad with all its cracks after only a few years.

The concrete for 72 was to fit with the flight base theme. Flight bases have concrete/blacktop. 

• Like 6

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic