Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

I'm beginning to think the work being done to Adventure Express is only concerning the queue and station.  Every updated ET shot I see here, I don't see anything going on with AE.   The tunnels all got updated recently and it has new paint to boot.  Maybe its just work to blend it in with the new theming, but not anything with the ride per say.  

• Like 4

Based on the concept art, it looks like Adventure Express’ queue is going to be lengthened. It would be cool to see new theming there as well as in the station and tunnels. New fog, the return of the old station soundtrack, and more audible speakers would go a long way too. Also, parts of the queue and station were repainted last off-season, but both could use some additional work. The roof, in particular, looks really bad.

It also appears that the basketball game near The Racer is being stripped. I know it is part of Adventure Port in the concept art, but I wonder how Kings Island will be able to make it feel like it is part of Adventure Port instead of Coney Mall, especially if Adventure Port remains concrete and Coney Mall pavers. For me at least, the change in ground kind of distinguishes between areas.

• Like 3

I do wonder what they are doing with the stripped basketball game.  While that game generally gets pretty good business, I am curious if they would be better off just using the one down across from Zephyr (which has seemed to be open less the last couple years) as there are fewer bottlenecks there compared to this one.  With The Racer exit, traffic coming from Marketplace, as well as the additional foot traffic that will be coming to and from Adventure Port that is a lot of traffic that would have to dodge errant basketballs.  While you could make the case that foot traffic would be better for the game's success, it is also going to stick out like a sore thumb when everything else around it is going to well themed.

• Like 2

Ohio Has A Brand New Theme Park With Roller Coasters, Rides, And Restaurants

Yes, a little bait-in-switch here.  I saw this headline in Facebook thinking a new amusement park was coming.  But to find out they are talking about "Adventure Port" at KI.  Gotta say I am excited about this new themed area and anticipating a home-run by the park.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/brand-new-attraction-oh/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow. I hope that article isn’t WAAAAAAY overselling a repainted biergarden, an out of place burrito stand that finally fits, and a sprucing up of an aging coaster. Seems like a lot of buildup for an area getting a fairly quick theme enhancement. Hope I’m super surprised, but I’m keeping my expectations in check. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

"Adventure Express is perhaps the park's most-anticipated new ride."

I get that they are refurbishing it, but I fail to see how it's going to be that different of an experience.

I think the author of this article did absolutely no prior research and likely doesn't even live near or has been to Kings Island. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

More digging up of concrete going on

image.png

And yet the Christmas tree still stands LOL Everytime I see a full shot of coney I question why WindSeeker wasn’t placed between the two racers and that entire area given a “plaza” makeover with the actio theater maybe being retrofitted with a hang-glider type simulator to give the mini area an aviation theme. It’s such a shame that beautiful “between the tracks” spot is so inaccessible now. You also realize how essentially “easy” it would be to relocate the “shed city” behind The Racer and incorporate that area into coney as well (what is the round, tank like building?) All of those buildings could’ve easily been pushed to the other side of Orion. Even given a light “theming” for what you would see over the fence to keep the whole military base idea going. Then that could flow around The Racer to the aviation themed area around WindSeeker to create a whole Lunken Airfield/area 72 flight/space exploration theme. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Strange that the webcams aren't pointed towards the Adventure Port construction area. It would be a great publicity tactic, much like how Cedar Point has a webcam trained on The Boardwalk construction.

We're just lucky to have the cameras functional

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I've heard someone that Kings Island are reviving old concept for Adventure Express that didn't make it to reality. Do you know what it is?

Where exactly are you hearing that from? I don't think they are going to do more than maybe updated theming in the tunnel and new theming in the rerouted queue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

We're just lucky to have the cameras functional

maybe potentially legalities too in having a live feed on contractors working, dunno but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't want to be shown working on a live feed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwb.32 said:

maybe potentially legalities too in having a live feed on contractors working, dunno but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't want to be shown working on a live feed

I remember Mystic Timbers's construction was shown on a live cam. Same went for GateKeeper, Valravn and Fury 325 at other parks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bwb.32 said:

I'm gathering that the KI camera's are not moveable like the ones at CP.  The Orion camera is focused on just that, Orion.  Chances would be better to take the Mystic camera and use it as a moveable one to highlight new areas (put it on the (old) Hanks building as an example.

• Like 3

I once asked why all the archway signs into the themed areas were removed.  HB had one (well, 3, through the years) Octoberfest had one, Wild Animal Habitat had one, and of course Coney (2 through the years, actually).  I was told it makes for ease of equipment to move through the park, as well as parade floats.  

While I understand that reasoning, I also think they added a great touch and could easily be brought back with a "pivot" action to them where they could swing out of the way.

• Like 12

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic