Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

26 minutes ago, zac2211 said:

Here's a concept I made for Adventure Express - would this be at all possible?

AEConcept.jpg

In short... No

Not to misconstrue that if you throw enough money anything, anything is possible. But this would require a much larger scale upgrade to a rollercoaster that had no intentions or the technology back then to provide such an element. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

News article with some nice new construction photos from the park. Adventure Port is officially opening "sometime in the summer" and won't be ready by opening day. https://local12.com/news/local/crews-work-to-get-new-adventure-port-area-ready-for-summer-at-kings-island-cincinnati-ride-adventure-express-mercado-theme-hanks-enriques-cargo-loco-sol-spin-rides-bier-garten

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

So the next questions I have to ask is:

1) Does that mean Adventure Express won`t be open with the park in mid-April?

2) Will that midway walk way be open when the park opens?  If not, that will be terribly inconvenient to get from Coney Mall to Action Zone/Festhaus.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

2) Will that midway walk way be open when the park opens?  If not, that will be terribly inconvenient to get from Coney Mall to Action Zone/Festhaus.

My best guess would be that none of the rides will be ready, including AE for opening day, and they will be putting finishing touches on them. Likely be down to theming elements and required testing by then. But they will probably have the path ready for ease of access around the park, possibly even having The Mercado and Enrique's open as they probably don't require too much work to update.

• Like 2

Enrique's might be open but I can see Mercado not being open yet and the pathway, if open, being fenced on both sides while the rest of the work is being completed.

If it's closed, it wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying as having the entire Floral Clock to Rivertown path closed for the entirety of 2008.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TylerWS said:

We had a ridiculously dry, mild winter here in Cleveland. Was it different in Cincinnati?

It was probably even more mild in Cincinnati. Adventure Port is so behind on construction because construction started really late. It was also announced very late. I don’t even think Kings Island knew they were going to build it a year ago. A year ago, SlingShot was getting repainted. While it looks to be well done, it seems like a very last-minute addition.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It was probably even more mild in Cincinnati. Adventure Port is so behind on construction because construction started really late. It was also announced very late. I don’t even think Kings Island knew they were going to build it a year ago. A year ago, SlingShot was getting repainted. While it looks to be well done, it seems like a very last-minute addition.

I concur with all of that. I think if this had been planned in advance, we would've seen at least part of that path closed during WinterFest so they could've started demo. Would be interesting to know if this was a capitol expense project that was late getting approval, or if it was a corporately driven project 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Its really not THAT difficult to navigate without it as all you really have to do is return to IStreet and go down one more street. Its actually a nice but not totally necessary path

• Like 2

They’ve always used phrases like that. Mystic Timbers - will open in Spring: https://www.fox19.com/story/34196703/construction-taking-shape-on-kings-islands-mystic-timbers/?outputType=amp

Antique Cars - no estimation: https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/kings-island-s-antique-cars-have-arrived/23887842

You must remember that with Midways like Valravn’s Midway, that was paved in less than a week.

The verbiage being used is for families that are scheduling trips to the park.

• Like 2

Yet another opening day without one of our coasters....last year it was The Beast and this year it'll be Adventure Express. Wonder which one we'll have to wait for next year? 

I agree that the decision/announcement was made late and I also thought it was surprising more wasn't done at winterfest. Disappointing to say the least but not completely unexpected. Sometimes I think I've learned to expect the worst in this world but it doesn't keep me from getting my hopes up. I'm going to Cedar Point in May and I'm really trying not to get disappointed if Iron Dragon is still closed due to a missing segment. 

• Like 2

From the images in the WKRC article, I am really curious what is going on in front of the storage building immediately behind the Freestyle location. While the park hasn't hinted at a third ride, this area doesn't match up with anything in the original concept art. It wouldn't make sense for the AE exit to go clear over there and the exit wasn't going that far over in the original concept art and the markers look like more than just a regular exit path.

Screenshot_20230302_122335_Samsung Internet.jpg

ki-2023-new-capital-large-banner.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

From the images in the WKRC article, I am really curious what is going on in front of the storage building immediately behind the Freestyle location. While the park hasn't hinted at a third ride, this area doesn't match up with anything in the original concept art. It wouldn't make sense for the AE exit to go clear over there and the exit wasn't going that far over in the original concept art and the markers look like more than just a regular exit path.

I don’t think the concept art should be taken too seriously as it is just concept art. I also think the perspective of the picture makes it look like the work being done is farther back than it actually is. From the webcam, it does not look like much has been down behind the Coke Marketplace (in the small sliver that we can see) besides the ground being torn up and the storage containers being moved, so the work being done in this picture must not be that far back. I also think the storage containers staying nearby indicates that they will be moved back behind the Come Marketplace or somewhere back there after construction is finished.

That being said, I think you do have a very good  point about something more being done beyond the concept art based on how far back construction is going. I personally don’t think Kings Island will squeeze another ride back there, especially as it does not look like a large foundation has been dug, but maybe Adventure Express’s entrance portal and queue is bigger or more than we thought. Maybe the concept art is inaccurate, and Adventure Express’ new plaza will be more behind the Coke Marketplace. Maybe a new Adventure Port souvenir stand or even an Adventure Express photo booth are being added.

• Like 3

On 3/4/2023 at 11:00 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

It lines right up with the concept art and blueprints. Trust me. No surprises coming. That is the entrance and exit for AE. I'm guessing they may add an on ride photo for AE and add a photo booth on the exit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oldschool75 said:

It lines right up with the concept art and blueprints. Trust me. No surprises coming. That is the entrance and exit for AE. I'm guessing they may add a on ride photo for AE and add a photo booth on the exit. 

Do you have the Adventure Port blueprints?

• Like 3

Double post: Concept Art is a double edged sword. If you do it, you may raise people’s expectations and not be able to deliver on what was drawn out. If you don’t do it, you can’t advertise your new product as effectively.

I like the drawn concepts over the digital ones but I’m personally not a fan of the Adventure Port’s concept that features the pond because I don’t think they’ll be able to make the water that light blue but I’ve been wrong before. 

Concept art isn’t false advertising because it’s a concept on a product that’s not finalized but things can get exaggerated at times and maybe that’s our fault as the consumers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Concept art isn’t false advertising because it’s a concept on a product that’s not finalized but things can get exaggerated at times and maybe that’s our fault as the consumers.

This is very true, but do tell me it isn't a crime that the PT Cruiser could have looked like this.

the-rise-and-fall-of-the-retro-styled-pt-cruiser-from-an-econobox-to-a-granny-car_3.jpg

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic