Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Is there any way Kings Island can paint the shingles to match with the red? Because the roof looks really weird right now in my opinion.

I’m a little scared this is an indication of the “value engineering” that’s gone into this quick mini-land redo. And before people start with the “wait till it’s done to judge” comments, I’d say “don’t post official pictures if you don’t want comments” 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I’m a little scared this is an indication of the “value engineering” that’s gone into this quick mini-land redo. And before people start with the “wait till it’s done to judge” comments, I’d say “don’t post official pictures if you don’t want comments” 

I am still hoping that Adventure Port turns out to be great. I am honestly a little bit more hopeful now that Kings Island announced it is as a summer opening because that means that the area still has a few more months of work left. I do appreciate the park posting pictures of the progress, especially because I felt like almost none were shared during Orion’s construction. However, it would be nice to see some new angles. Also, maybe it’s just me, but I feel like construction is moving pretty slow. I feel like there is not as much change as there should be in the same picture posted today versus a couple of weeks ago. Granted, we do not know what is going on elsewhere in the area. I really, really want this area to be good and successful because there are many other areas of the park that could use some reimagining (areas like Action Zone, Planet Snoopy, Soak City, and even Rivertown could all really benefit from new life).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Quickest and cheapest way would probably be redoing the roof with red metal.

Which would match the Coke Marketplace.  It would also help to make the building look less German.

58 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

I'm not terribly concerned about the shingles not being replaced, considering the front gate itself still has a wall of those things despite both I-Street and entrance plaza remodels.

The Architectural Shingles on the entry plaza building were likely an attempt to use European style materials to soften a modernesque building.  Without significant changes to the facade, they are probably the best choice.  Asphalt shingles would look bad, metal roofing would look bad (see Canada's Wonderland) and shake shingles would probably look decent, but run a safety risk for the crowds passing below.  I'd be happy with new shingles of the same syle, the banners removed, and the flags brought back to soften the facade.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 3:55 AM, PKIDelirium said:

Based on the webcam it seems almost like a ride foundation is being installed, makes me wonder if a plan changed and Sol Spin will take the Skylab spot and the new AE entrance and exit will be between the two new rides.

What camera do you see that on?   We barely have a view of land just behind the basketball game by Racer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan said:

I remember being very impressed when PKI did the conversion to Bubba Gump Shrimp Shack

dshrimpshack.jpg

In typical Paramount style, just plopping something down like a turd.  This looks like something that should be next door to Fred Sanfords junk yard from Sanford and Son TV show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

In typical Paramount style, just plopping something down like a turd.  This looks like something that should be next door to Fred Sanfords junk yard from Sanford and Son TV show.

I personally always felt the Bubba Gump overlay should have gone to Stunt Crew Grill in Action Zone.  It would have fit well next to Congo Falls and played into the whole "back-lot" theme they had going.

FYI - the Gump overlay to the former Octoberfest Gardens was chosen because the former restaurant was (at the time) the least patronized food stand in the park - and the "waterfront" location helped validate the theme.  When it opened, it was part of a concentrated effort to improve some of the food options in the park (Happy Days Cafe was another example of a "restaurant" overhaul.)  By mid-Paramount era, the food offerings were pretty bad.  Those two additions breathed some fresh life into the choices of things to eat.  Unfortunately the quality didn't last.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Ironically, the company that designed Bubba Gump’s is JRA, the same company working on Adventure Port. So this is the second time they have redesigned that building!

No wonder they're doing the whole dockside theming for the Mercado. I've even said before that the Mercado is basically bringing back the whole dock like theme from Bubba Gump Shrimp. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Ironically, the company that designed Bubba Gump’s is JRA, the same company working on Adventure Port. So this is the second time they have redesigned that building!

Hopefully they know this time that it is not King's Island :P

image.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Wilk’s Outdoor Living has been posting Adventure Port hardscape updates on their Instagram. They are currently installing big stone blocks to act as a curb (and will definitely be used as benches). I really like it so far. There are a few other posts on their Instagram in addition to these pictures.

375941C2-B19D-4162-B9D8-9A399C3F391A.jpeg

9647B8F4-4DB0-4EBF-92F0-D78D93B9DED4.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

On 3/17/2023 at 7:35 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

Wilk’s Outdoor Living has been posting Adventure Port hardscape updates on their Instagram. They are currently installing big stone blocks to act as a curb (and will definitely be used as benches). I really like it so far. There are a few other posts on their Instagram in addition to these pictures.

375941C2-B19D-4162-B9D8-9A399C3F391A.jpeg

9647B8F4-4DB0-4EBF-92F0-D78D93B9DED4.jpeg

Roof is looking a bit stained in that shot - Maybe they are leaning into the funk and calling it "themed aging" LOL Interesting to see old signage is still up - leads me to peleive nothing happening with the existing roof as that would've been removed to do the work (unless its running behind as well)

• Like 1

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic