Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

Roof is looking a bit stained in that shot - Maybe they are leaning into the funk and calling it "themed aging" LOL Interesting to see old signage is still up - leads me to peleive nothing happening with the existing roof as that would've been removed to do the work (unless its running behind as well)

The roof is not looking good. I hope Kings Island does something about it before Adventure Port’s Grand Opening. You don’t want the centerpiece of a new themed area to look out of place.

• Like 1

Hopefully with this small of an area they are really layering on the details since it’s pretty dependent on that to see the story of a jungle outpost (that was my concern in even going with this in that it’s not ‘organic’ to the location.) but so far it’s looking like a cost-managed mild retheme. Hope I’m WAY surprised when it opens “later” 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Hopefully with this small of an area they are really layering on the details since it’s pretty dependent on that to see the story of a jungle outpost (that was my concern in even going with this in that it’s not ‘organic’ to the location.) but so far it’s looking like a cost-managed mild retheme. Hope I’m WAY surprised when it opens “later” 

I'd like to insert an Eeyore giff here, but my phone won't let me.

On a serious note, I too, hope you are surprised.  King's Island has plussed many things in the last 6 seasons.  You are astute to minute detail and I applaud most of your suggestions, but sometimes the pessimistic side shows through. I do too, with my Junkyard Coaster and TAFKACM comments.

• Like 2

I’m not pessimistic as much as hopeful. I’ve seen great things shaping up with Aeronautica and the Fiesta Village updates, and since they’ve proven they can do it as a company,  I’m just holding them to the standards they’ve achieved other places (and even at KI) but then I see tattered and sun faded vines on the entrance to the “signature shed” on Mystic Timbers and I question their ability to deliver in the long run, and I see an old stained shingle roof on the center feature of the reimagined OktoberFest and I question how much funding is going into a total retheme. If holding the park, that I know can exectute to the standards that they’ve proven they can,  get me an eye roll and a emoji then so be it. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I like how the focus is now on a roof.

Because, ya know, everybody's pulling up for the Adventure Port roof :lol:

It's a forum. We noticed the new paint on the walls and now are discussing the roof.

Most topics of construction will be dissected here as we receive updates. 

• Like 4

But to be consistent with the theme, why would we expect a new roof.  Heck based on the write up we should be expecting the place to look a little weathered and like it is off the beaten path LOL.  Fresh new paint and roof doesn't exactly scream a century old port community, objects left by an ancient civilization, and at the foothills of overgrown mountains and hub for explorers searching for ruins of an ancient civilization....

Excerpts from the press release:

The myths of an ancient civilization and its mighty city carved out of stone have lured travelers from around the globe to this bustling port community for more than a century.

This recently discovered mechanism appears to be an immense sun disk created by an ancient civilization. 

Resting in the foothills of overgrown mountains and dense tropical terrain, Adventure Port is a hub for explorers searching for the ruins of an ancient civilization, its forbidden temple and mysterious wonders. If asked, the locals will tell tales of those who came before you and vanished. Did they unwittingly disturb ancient spirits and fall victim to an age-old curse?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

But to be consistent with the theme, why would we expect a new roof.  Heck based on the write up we should be expecting the place to look a little weathered and like it is off the beaten path LOL.  Fresh new paint and roof doesn't exactly scream a century old port community, objects left by an ancient civilization, and at the foothills of overgrown mountains and hub for explorers searching for ruins of an ancient civilization....

The myths of an ancient civilization and its mighty city carved out of stone have lured travelers from around the globe to this bustling port community for more than a century.

This recently discovered mechanism appears to be an immense sun disk created by an ancient civilization. 

Resting in the foothills of overgrown mountains and dense tropical terrain, Adventure Port is a hub for explorers searching for the ruins of an ancient civilization, its forbidden temple and mysterious wonders. If asked, the locals will tell tales of those who came before you and vanished. Did they unwittingly disturb ancient spirits and fall victim to an age-old curse?

Thanks for quoting verbatim their press copy NOW when the teams come in to age and distress the bright colors into a sun-faded village through character paint, over washes and forced shadows it will be amazing. When the landscape crews come in with lots of “simulated tropical foliage” suited for a Midwest climate I’ll get on board with your argument. Until then it’s a bright, freshly  painted building with a theme inconsistent room. Time will tell how it all wraps up. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:13 PM, purdude86 said:

Yea the roof looks even more out of place with the new painting of the building. A new metal roof would definitely go a long way for the looks.

Well if they do anything like they did The Racer with its paint job they won’t paint it. The back end of The Racer were the turnarounds are didn’t receive any paint other than the track portion. This is even more prevalent on The Beast, which hasn’t seen paint other than the carts and some minor things since its opening. “Out of site, out of mind.” Is the mentality.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Thanks for quoting verbatim their press copy NOW when the teams come in to age and distress the bright colors into a sun-faded village through character paint, over washes and forced shadows it will be amazing. When the landscape crews come in with lots of “simulated tropical foliage” suited for a Midwest climate I’ll get on board with your argument. Until then it’s a bright, freshly  painted building with a theme inconsistent room. Time will tell how it all wraps up. 

I’m guessing it will look more like the Hungry Hippo rather than an Istreet restaurant.

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Excerpts from the press release:

6 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I think ancient ruins that have been visited for centuries can have newer tourist traps like the mercado, Enrique's.  Isnt there an Arrow Trading Company too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 10:10 PM, ShedTreeBoi1 said:

Sadly, I believe Adventure Port will be comparatively  mid, like Area 72, Orion, and Banshee

I have the feeling Cedar Fair may not want to outdo Cedar Point

While I also have tempered expectations for the level of theming we will receive the reasoning you have doesn't make sense to me.  Why would Cedar Fair want to keep one park a tier below another park due to proximity?  Wouldn't they want both parks to be world class so that people in the area would want to make trips to both?  People planning trips to Cedar Point would be much more easily convinced to add an extra two days to their trip for a great park.  

• Like 1

I was looking at wikipedia's list of former Kings Island attractions to see what the oldest ride to ever operate at the park was (it was the original Dodgem btw), and I found this in the list of former areas. I can't imagine it's true since the festhouse and viking fury are still there but still. 

Capturefest.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 1:43 PM, DiamondBeast said:

I was looking at wikipedia's list of former Kings Island attractions to see what the oldest ride to ever operate at the park was (it was the original Dodgem btw)

Well you learn something new every day. I was always under the impression that the tumble bug was the oldest ride to ever operate at Kings Island but after doing some digging (outside of wikipedia) turns out the original Coney Island dogem was from 1924 (a year before the tumble bug opened in 1925). However, there seems to be some debate as to whether the current dogem is the original or not seeing as it changed cars, locations, and buildings over the years. I think the park even celebrates the Grand Carousel as the oldest ride currently at the park so I would be inclined to believe that the original dogem and the current dogem rides aren't the same? 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 1:43 PM, DiamondBeast said:

I was looking at wikipedia's list of former Kings Island attractions to see what the oldest ride to ever operate at the park was (it was the original Dodgem btw), and I found this in the list of former areas. I can't imagine it's true since the festhouse and viking fury are still there but still. 

Capturefest.JPG

Oktoberfest still exists, just a little smaller. :rolleyes::)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnjniehaus said:

Well you learn something new every day. I was always under the impression that the tumble bug was the oldest ride to ever operate at Kings Island but after doing some digging (outside of wikipedia) turns out the original Coney Island dogem was from 1924 (a year before the tumble bug opened in 1925). However, there seems to be some debate as to whether the current dogem is the original or not seeing as it changed cars, locations, and buildings over the years. I think the park even celebrates the Grand Carousel as the oldest ride currently at the park so I would be inclined to believe that the original dogem and the current dogem rides aren't the same? 

The current Dodgem is in a different location with different cars than in 1972. Dodgem at Kings Island is a 1986 ride, no matter how much the park likes to say it's an opening day attraction. By that same logic, Kings Mills Antique Autos is also an opening day ride.

• Like 7

This is the Ship of Theseus debate.  If you replace the entire ship slowly over time is it still the same ship at the end even though every piece has been replaced.  The same is true of wooden roller coasters.  Given a long enough time frame the entire ride will be replaced as part of maintenance.  When does it stop being the same ride?

A few years ago Universal Orlando rebuilt Hulk in Islands of Adventure.  The ride is the same model, same layout, same manufacturer, but the footers, station, and launch tube are basically the only original pieces.  The track, supports, trains,  electronics, etc were replaced.  Is it the same coaster?

Back to Kings Island and the bumper cars.  When the ride was moved in 1972 did any components from 1924 still exist?  I believe the ride had moved while at Coney and the cars were also likely replaced, and the KICentral page backs that up suggesting the entire ride was replaced while at Coney.

There is one big difference between the bumper cars and the antique cars, continuous operation.  The work on the bumper cars while effectively replacement appears to have always been considered maintenance.  The antique cars closed and were removed for several years.

• Like 3

I could understand the Ship of Theseus debate if the 1986 Dodgem had retained the same cars or same location, and only later changed one of those... but it was an outright replacement in every sense, and it was marketed as such. Saying the two rides are the same would be comparable to saying Coney Island's Shooting Star and Kings Island's Racer were the same ride... they're both wooden roller coasters with an emphasis on airtime. But I think most people would agree that they're different rides.

For what it's worth, it's only been a recent trend for Kings Island's marketing department to classify the current, 1986 Dodgem as an original ride.

• Like 6

Is anyone familiar enough with the history of Coney Island to know if a complete replacement of the Dodgem ride occurred between 1924 and 1972?  I believe it moved and that the cars were replaced but I have no idea if it was completely replaced all at once like what appears to have happened at Kings Island in 1986.

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic