Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

It does seem like Kings Island is behind in building the new rethemed area of the park and disappointing that the new Grill is not open as well as the new Tom and Chee.  Lines were very long at all food places especially since some are not open yet.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

To be fair, there wasn't much they could do during WinterFest without disrupting that area, too much, and especially in December there were some VERY COLD spells where things like ride foundations and other "behind the fence" work wouldn't have been feasible.

They'll get it done, and I wouldn't rush to judgement about the quality of the theming based on where things are now. Once the rides are installed, focus can shift to landscaping, signage, etc.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

Well how come they are just now starting to build the new VIP lounge?    Was there today and saw it from top of Eiffel Tower.

There is nothing tricky about building that and why wait to opening date to start..... 

I could see the new rides area and that looks pretty good except no hardware on site.

I work for a school district and we have multiple construction projects going on. Hearing some of the construction meetings outside my office, the biggest issues has been building materials not showing up and getting permits.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I was a little surprised that a lot of the winter projects weren't completed for opening weekend---but after thinking about it there are a few factors that could definitely cause some slowdowns in construction---Winterfest---pushed the availability of the areas back around two months from what is was a few years ago. Weather--- we had some ugly weather here and there. Construction issues---Supplies, equipment, workers (a lot of places are 10% or more short on workers. 

Like i tell my   doctors and my mechanics---i want it Done Right---not right now.

Later,

Mark

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

I'm not into construction, but maybe why they're just started building the VIP Lounge is because, it's one of the easier things to do, they worked on the harder stuff first. 

True, but at the same time, Prestige holders paid quite a bit more for this experience. They haven't done many things right to convince people at this point to renew the Prestige pass.  Many experienced buyers remorse within a week or two of purchasing as the items and amenities that were available when they purchased said pass disappeared.  Many have called it a bait and switch.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:02 PM, disco2000 said:

True, but at the same time, Prestige holders paid quite a bit more for this experience. They haven't done many things right to convince people at this point to renew the Prestige pass.  Many experienced buyers remorse within a week or two of purchasing as the items and amenities that were available when they purchased said pass disappeared.  Many have called it a bait and switch.

Cedar Fair operates on bait and switch.   They advertise a schedule then close the park if the crowd is low.     Anyone that has bought a season pass from Cedar Fair knows they will not get what is advertised.  

However, they sell their season passes so cheap people keep buying.     I personally think they are on the  dishonest side but I keep buying because it’s a good deal.

they also operate with bait and switch when  advertise their ticket prices. Don’t forget they add on  processing fee that’s unadvertised   Legal   Yes   Ethical    No  

Ripping off the prestige pass, people is even worse since they paid more   I personally do not spend any extra money at the parks and pass price since they operate with bait and switch  manner.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It seems like the Mercado and Enrique’s still have a lot of work that needs to be done. There is not really signage for either aside from the temporary cover over the old Hank’s Mexican Grill sign (the Coca-Cola Marketplace is also missing a sign on the top of the building). Also, it seems as if the roof may get painted red. From the Eiffel Tower (KIC picture attached for reference), it appears that the park is at least in the process of pressure washing the roof with some sections having much more grime than others. I hope the pressure washing is prep for painting as the roof looks really out of place as of now.

image.jpeg

Also, I am kind of worried the banners hanging throughout the area (as pictured in the concept art below) are not going to happen since the old lights were out back up in front of Enrique’s. Also, no new posts appear to have been constructed.

image.jpeg

Finally, I wonder if the shade structures (as pictured in the concept art below) will be built or not on the Mercado patio as there is currently very little shade on the patio. I know umbrellas will probably be added soon, but the structures would be a really nice touch.

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

^^I don't think this is the final product theming wise. I think as the weeks go on especially as we get closer to summer and the eventual opening of the rides we'll see more theming and props added as well as signage. I also am hoping they do some themed signage around the restrooms like Jungle X at KD where they have the posters referencing past rides and maybe an Adventure Port art map like Jungle X. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It seems like the Mercado and Enrique’s still have a lot of work that needs to be done. There is not really signage for either aside from the temporary cover over the old Hank’s Mexican Grill sign (the Coca-Cola Marketplace is also missing a sign on the top of the building). Also, it seems as if the roof may get painted red. From the Eiffel Tower (KIC picture attached for reference), it appears that the park is at least in the process of pressure washing the roof with some sections having much more grime than others. I hope the pressure washing is prep for painting as the roof looks really out of place as of now.

image.jpeg

Also, I am kind of worried the banners hanging throughout the area (as pictured in the concept art below) are not going to happen since the old lights were out back up in front of Enrique’s. Also, no new posts appear to have been constructed.

image.jpeg

Finally, I wonder if the shade structures (as pictured in the concept art below) will be built or not on the Mercado patio as there is currently very little shade on the patio. I know umbrellas will probably be added soon, but the structures would be a really nice touch.

image.jpeg

One interesting thing is that it seems like the size of the area had been reduced. I don’t think the airbrush building is being included in the area anymore as the concept art shows.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

One interesting is that it seems like the size of the area had been reduced. I don’t think the airbrush building is being included in the area anymore as the concept art shows.

The interesting thing is that the map does indicate that the airbrush building is part of Adventure Port, but since the new concrete does not extend to the airbrush building, it seems as if it is not part of the new area. I don’t really mind if the new airbrush building is a part of Adventure Port or not as it really does not add or take away from the new area significantly, but I hope Kings Island does not try to make it seem like it is part of the new area without pouring new concrete to make it fit in. The new concrete is what really draws the boundaries for adventure Port in my opinion. I think Kings Island is done pouring concrete for the midway, though, so I don’t see it being extended to in front of the airbrush building.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

One thing I am really excited for after seeing construction photos this weekend is the new entry plaza for Adventure Express. From the pictures posted to KIC, it looks like foundations have been poured for signage and props, and a lot of rock work is currently being done. Right now, it looks like it will be very similar to what is seen in the concept art. The only difference that I have noticed so far is that is is situated father back behind the Coca-Cola Marketplace instead of up along the midway as shown in the concept art. I prefer the actual location of the new plaza compared to the location in the concept art because it would have probably been very crammed alongside the midway.

Also, some sort of large foundation or rock work is going up in front of Sol Spin, which I am thinking will be a cool ride ID sign.

Last but not least, a foundation has been poured right around the entrance to Adventure Port from Oktoberfest (or Action Zone), which I am hoping is for an Adventure Port entrance sign. It would also be nice to see entrance signs near the entrances to Adventure Port from International Street and Coney Mall.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I was at the park today and got to see Adventure Port in person for the first time. I can't wait to see the finished product; here are some photos and updates from today.

• Some new decor elements are viewable from Racer's queue
  • Not much appears to be different with Cargo Loco compared to pictures from last week, other than the aforementioned (very nice) sign.
  • Sol Spin's queue is coming along, it is being surrounded with what appears to be bamboo.
  • The rockwork at Adventure Express's entrance plaza is progressing.
  • The Mercado has a new temporary sign. I also want to shout out the new bar that was installed, it has very pretty tile work. There's a new faux window above it.
  • Multicolored umbrellas for the tables in front of Enrique's and on the Mercado patio.
  • They have begun "aging" the Enrique's facade.
  • The Coca-Cola building has its sign back and it looks like the "aging" detail work on it is finished.

AP1.jpeg

Ap2.jpeg

Ap3.jpeg

Ap4.jpeg

Ap5.jpeg

Ap6.jpeg

Ap7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think with the aging and detailing that they've been doing to the paint on Coke marketplace and Enrique's, the roof on Enrique's won't look as "out of place" as it did before. Really can't wait to see this area finished!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Snowball said:

I think with the aging and detailing that they've been doing to the paint on Coke marketplace and Enrique's, the roof on Enrique's won't look as "out of place" as it did before. Really can't wait to see this area finished!

I really do like the attention to detail on the buildings, but the roof of Enrique’s/The Mercado really does not fit the style of Adventure Port. Even with aging applied to the buildings, I still feel like the roof will feel out of place. I am still holding out hope that the roof will get addressed, but I am pretty doubtful at this point. Roof aside, I think Adventure Port is shaping up to be a really nice area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I sure hope we see rides onsite and the beginning of them being built by next weekend. I do love the new umbrellas on the patios. Really makes the buildings pop. 

Photo_1682176364668.jpg

Photo_1682176299636.jpg

But I'm really hoping those weird tangled looking string lights are just temporary and we get the multi color hanging flags eventually like in the renderings. Also hoping we see the boats and stuff added to the Mercado along the dock like in the renderings

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

But I'm really hoping those weird tangled looking string lights are just temporary and we get the multi color hanging flags eventually like in the renderings. Also hoping we see the boats and stuff added to the Mercado along the dock like in the renderings

I hope the current lights are only temporary too. They do not look good. I was thinking that Kings Island may be waiting to put up the new banners around the area until the new rides are installed because there are probably going to be big cranes moving throughout the area that would interfere with the banners that hang over the midways.

Edit: This Amusement Today article from November (page 24 and 26) mentions that there will be theming hung over walkways, so I would expect the banners to happen at some point. Also, the article confirms that Sol Spin will be the larger 48 passenger version of the Zamperla Endeavor.

https://95a87e.p3cdn1.secureserver.net/issues/2022/202211ii/assets/downloads/AT-NOV-II-2022i.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone know what this building is for or at least has an idea of what it is? I saw it during opening day and in construction footage but I'm not sure at all. Initial thoughts were some form of storage, operator building, or something with Adventure Express' new entrance/exit.

Screenshot (17).png

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic