Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

^^Also really hoping the colored flag banners and the "farmer's market" like stands happen. And also please give the area its own soundtrack. I can't stand listening to the jazz over there. However, I can't stand the jazz period as I-street deserves orchestral music NOT jazz. The jazz was fine for the 50th, but I wish they would've returned to the old orchestral music. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I noticed this yesterday evening. I am guessing this will be the entrance sign into Adventure Port.

Nah, that’s just the SlingShot tribute statue.

52 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

One interesting change that Kings Island made this past week was that they ripped out part of the plain concrete from edge of the Mercado patio bordering the midway and replaced it with the colored concrete of the midway. I really like this change. It makes the midway seem a lot less like a bottleneck compared to before even though it is technically the same size. Before, it seemed a lot tighter than it was. I attached two Kings Island Central pictures for reference. One is from April 14, and the other is from this past weekend.

Nice catch, didn’t notice that. It was strange to have the Mercado concrete so far outside the bounds of Mercado itself and into the actual midway. Someone must have realized that and decided to fix it before daily operation started, looks a lot nicer and will be even better once the construction fence is down.

I’m pretty sure Mercado’s concrete has some shading to it. Subtle, but compare it to the ride queues or stand on the Mercado directly and look between your feet and the cap on the skyride foundation. It’s kind of a steel blue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aaron88stang said:

I would guess they just stained that concrete to match the midway. They need to do the whole area. 

I do not think the concrete is “stained” necessarily. The concrete mixture itself is a different color, so I do not think Kings Island could just “stain” the Mercado patio without removing all of the concrete and pouring new concrete.

58 minutes ago, Sixflags82 said:

According to the latest issue of amusement today it's going to be the 24 seat model

16842820115568093841778759841151.jpg

That’s too bad. I wish Cedar Fair would have purchased the 48 seat model for more capacity. Even Six Flags has purchased the 48 seat model. What’s odd is that a November edition of Amusement Today mentioned that Kings Island’s Sol Spin would be the 48 seat model.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

IMG_3362.jpeg

Call me blind but I see 48 seats in the concept art

Unfortunately, it is just “concept art,” so it may not be accurate in regards to the current plans. I really hope the text in the Amusement Today article is a typo because the 24 passenger variant would not have great capacity for a thrill ride like this. That would be really unfortunate for Kings Island.

• Like 1

While I really appreciate the money spent on quality theming, unfortunately Cedar Fair is going cheap in the ride installations if this is true.   Zamperla rides have a lesser quality to start with, and having a 24 seat model not only makes it a crappy capacity, ride, it makes it a lesser experience as one cannot enjoy the ride with another person  

This is definitely not a tribute to the amazing high capacity Skylab.   Even the ride experience is not as good. much of the ride experience is spent spinning, parallel to the ground before tilt.   And from the videos that I have seen, it doesn’t even tilt 90°.  

But at least they are adding flat rides in a much neglected area of the park  

• Like 1

https://www.zamperla.com/products/endeavour/

Zamperla’s page seems to indicate that the 24-seat model is trailer mount and the 48-seat is a park model. It’s unclear though, because one of their photos is a 48 seat park installation but the foundation is different than what is at KI.

Regarding the concrete, they already had a crew there pouring shaded concrete for the AE plaza and touching up around Cargo Loco, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they just cut and removed the existing concrete and poured new along the Mercado. It’s not THAT much work to remove a section and replace it during the week while they still have time to modify it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

https://www.zamperla.com/products/endeavour/

Zamperla’s page seems to indicate that the 24-seat model is trailer mount and the 48-seat is a park model. It’s unclear though, because one of their photos is a 48 seat park installation but the foundation is different than what is at KI.

Regarding the concrete, they already had a crew there pouring shaded concrete for the AE plaza and touching up around Cargo Loco, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they just cut and removed the existing concrete and poured new along the Mercado. It’s not THAT much work to remove a section and replace it during the week while they still have time to modify it.

The 24-seat model can be used for permanent installations, like Scream Extreme at Kentucky Kingdom

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

That’s too bad. I wish Cedar Fair would have purchased the 48-seat model for more capacity. Even Six Flags has purchased the 48 seat model. What’s odd is that a November edition of Amusement Today mentioned that Kings Island’s Sol Spin would be the 48-seat model.

If it is in fact the 24-seat model, this is the definition of a short-sighted decision. The equivalent (24-seat) ride at Kentucky Kingdom gets a line and far less people go there. 

I could understand the 24-seat model at a smaller park like Michigan's Adventure, but not Kings Island. For the relatively few dollars saved (or time saved on the build date?) they are getting half the ride in terms of capacity.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, KI Guy said:

If it is in fact the 24-seat model, this is the definition of a short-sighted decision. The equivalent (24 seat ride) at Kentucky Kingdom gets a line and far less people go there. 

I could understand the 24-seat model at a smaller park like Michigan's Adventure, but not Kings Island. For the relatively few dollars saved (or time saved on the build date?) they are getting half the ride in terms of capacity.

What’s crazy is that Kings Island may be getting the exact same low capacity ride model as Kentucky Kingdom with more than three times the annual attendance. Skylab had a capacity of 60 riders per cycle. 24 riders per cycle is pathetic in comparison. People are also going to be scared away from the ride if they have to ride it solo because they will not be able to sit next to anyone.

I had thought we already decided or confirmed months ago it was the 48-seat model.  I just really hope the article listed above was a misquote.  KI always installed the larger people eater rides in the past.  Like our giant spinner that pulled itself apart. :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rlentless said:

I had thought we already decided or confirmed months ago it was the 48-seat model.  I just really hope the article listed above was a misquote.  KI always installed the larger people eater rides in the past.  Like our giant spinner that pulled itself apart. :)

I thought so too.

I was under the impression at this was all announced so late in 2022 because the park was unsure if they could get the rides soon enough. So I wonder if they went with the 24 seat model just to actually get it before summer?

But yeah, having a lower capacity option at a park like KI definitely isn't ideal.

• Like 4

I tried to find any similarities/differences between the 24 and 48 passenger models, but there are not many visible differences besides the solo and side-by-side seating. Kentucky Kingdom’s Scream Extreme (24 passenger model) at least has a similar foundation style to Kings Island’s Sol Spin with it not just being one massive concrete pad, and, while these pictures do not make the comparison apples to apples, Sol Spin appears to have a larger foundation than Scream Extreme, so maybe Sol Spin will be the 48 passenger model. Notice how the actual foundation in the middle extends into the outer ring on Sol Spin but not on Scream Extreme.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic