Adventure Port Construction Updates

IndyGuy4KI

43 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I was surprised with the color of Sol Spin. I was expecting a more faded look. 

Photo_1684537124037.jpg

It’ll get there, especially with that type of yellow. Better to open it with colors that pop vs starting it with a faded color that will only become more faded overtime. 

On a side-note, I am somewhat surprised that the color yellow is still used in a lot of newer amusement park attractions like Sol Spin, Wild Mouse at Cedar Point, and even for repaints like Montu and Flying Ace… it seems like yellow fades the fastest and looks “unkept” over time:

IMG_4910.jpeg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/Invertigo-photo-from-kings-island--462252349223985711/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

It’ll get there, especially with that type of yellow. Better to open it with colors that pop vs starting it with a faded color that will only become more faded overtime. 

On a side-note, I am somewhat surprised that the color yellow is still used in a lot of newer amusement park attractions like Sol Spin, Wild Mouse at Cedar Point, and even for repaints like Montu and Flying Ace… it seems like yellow fades the fastest and looks “unkept” over time:

IMG_4910.jpeg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/Invertigo-photo-from-kings-island--462252349223985711/

Yeah, seems Kings Island should know by now not to use bright yellow paint after having to repaint Invertigo and Diamondback. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WoodVengeance said:

Yeah, seems Kings Island should know by now not to use bright yellow paint after having to repaint Invertigo and Diamondback. 

Mind you it’s not bad when it’s on a flat or a small coaster like Flying Ace. It just seems like a color most parks would like to avoid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I was surprised with the color of Sol Spin. I was expecting a more faded look. 

Photo_1684537124037.jpg

I believe it's part of the theming.  Sol is an ancient Roman god personifying the sun (short for solomon) hence the yellow and oragne colors.

• Like 1

I’m assuming Adventure Port will be open for Memorial Day weekend? I can’t picture the area being completed in regards to theming considering how far behind they are but the rides will be operational.

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

I’m assuming Adventure Port will be open for Memorial Day weekend? I can’t picture the area being completed in regards to theming considering how far behind they are but the rides will be operational.

What is making me doubt a Memorial Day Weekend opening is that Kings Island has not yet announced an opening date for Adventure Port. For Carowinds, Worlds of Fun, and Knott’s Berry Farm, they announced the opening dates of their new attractions weeks in advance.

• Sad 1

Right now the park is at the mercy of parts showing up, getting them installed, training ride attendants, and getting the rides/attendants certified. It is really hard to announce an opening day when so many variables are in play.

Since we are now in daily operations, we will likely see soft opens of rides as they are certified. I would not expect a big reveal of the full area.  That ship has really sailed and not anyone's fault except for getting all of the rides in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Right now the park is at the mercy of parts showing up, getting them installed, training ride attendants, and getting the rides/attendants certified. It is really hard to announce an opening day when so many variables are in play.

Since we are now in daily operations, we will likely see soft opens of rides as they are certified. I would not expect a big reveal of the full area.  That ship has really sailed and not anyone's fault except for getting all of the rides in. 

There is always a fault. You can say Kings Island did not give itself enough or any buffer during construction for unanticipated delays. ( I.E. start construction sooner. ) It could be Zamperla’s fault with getting the parts needed to construct the ride or the contractors they picked for the job being unable stay on schedule. Given the fact that there are multiple things that were and or are still behind schedule that did not open on time for opening day makes me lean towards Kings Island being at fault. With poor planning being the reason for delays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

If there are soft openings of the rides, I still hope there is a big “Grand Opening” of the area once the area is finished. Kings Island needs a media day and official grand opening to really get the word out about their new investment.

• Like 2

One thing that I do not like is that they ripped out a lot of trees in that area.  Though I doubt they will, they should plant trees to hide the AE station and then install more trees around the area.  Though I haven't been to Kings Dominion in a while, the park had a lot of shade and was a lot nicer in that way.  I love Kings Island but they need to start planting more trees instead of cutting all of them down.  Pretty soon, it will look like Six Flags.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Skibum said:

One thing that I do not like is that they ripped out a lot of trees in that area.  Though I doubt they will, they should plant trees to hide the AE station and then install more trees around the area.  Though I haven't been to Kings Dominion in a while, the park had a lot of shade and was a lot nicer in that way.  I love Kings Island but they need to start planting more trees instead of cutting all of them down.  Pretty soon, it will look like Six Flags.

Or bite the bullet and invest in larger, more mature trees when they DO plant them. They always get the baby’s that take 20 years to add anything. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skibum said:

The landscaping is already in line with Six Flags. Other than Kings Island at least doesn’t allow weeds to grow all over the place.     

That’s what’s been happening since Cedar Fair took over.   Every new installation ends up with tree removal and no replacement.    Even the removal of Vortex took out a lot of trees.   I guess they view trees as a liability instead of what they really are, landscaping that enhances the guest experience both visually and by reducing sizzling temps.  

I’m unhappy about the loss of trees across from Festhaus sling the pond.   It’s  one of the only shaded pathways sections left in the park.  

They don’t even bring in a stump grinder most of the time  and leave the stumps    It’s really becoming a barren park like the front half of Cedar Point    

Winterfest suffers because of the lack of trees    KI has the least impressive Winterfest lighting out of there, Kings Dominion and Carowinds   Because there are few trees trees the midways to string lights

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Aaron88stang said:

You could do that, but it would limit you to the types of trees already there and does not get you any net new trees. 

I agree with this. The park needs no further tree removal anywhere. I'd be right happy to have some tulip poplars planted in Adventure Port. I feel like they fit the essence of the section well.

poplar.JPG

• Like 5

I hope Kings Island puts Adventure Port decals on the trash cans around the area like with the trash cans at Aeronautica Landing at Carowinds and the trash cans at The Boardwalk at Cedar Point. Just putting the Adventure Port logo seen on the construction walls would look really nice. Also, while I sound like a broken record at this point, I do hope that Kings Island puts up the banners around the area. That would make it way more immersive.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, super7 said:

The landscaping is already in line with Six Flags. Other than Kings Island at least doesn’t allow weeds to grow all over the place.     

That’s what’s been happening since Cedar Fair took over.   Every new installation ends up with tree removal and no replacement.    Even the removal of Vortex took out a lot of trees.   I guess they view trees as a liability instead of what they really are, landscaping that enhances the guest experience both visually and by reducing sizzling temps.  

I’m unhappy about the loss of trees across from Festhaus sling the pond.   It’s  one of the only shaded pathways sections left in the park.  

They don’t even bring in a stump grinder most of the time  and leave the stumps    It’s really becoming a barren park like the front half of Cedar Point    

Winterfest suffers because of the lack of trees    KI has the least impressive Winterfest lighting out of there, Kings Dominion and Carowinds   Because there are few trees trees the midways to string lights

Kings Dominion had (still has I think) so many trees and shade, except where they have added coasters and become allergic to anything green..  I still think of Kings Island back when it had a fair amount of trees.  I'm not sure the reasoning as to why they remove trees within a 100 yard proximity to any coaster at Kings Island.  Orion needs help with any trees, although it finally has grass underneath the coaster.  Mystic Timbers' queue needs the trees replaced that died due to the pine mite but that is an easy swap out with some arbor vitae.  Heck, they can drive two miles up to Sharon Nursery and stock up.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Or bite the bullet and invest in larger, more mature trees when they DO plant them. They always get the baby’s that take 20 years to add anything. For

Former arborist here.  Larger box(ed) rooted trees are generally slower to establish and have a higher mortality rate than 5 or 8 gallon trees and balled/burlap trees. The need more bald cypress, hemlock and tulip poplar across the park.  They are fast growing larger trees.  Add in medium sized trees like dogwood red buds.  Add sugar maples to contrast the autumn blaze maples. I counted 14 6 foot tall southern magnolias that have been planted this year too.  Even though those are "tiny" they cost a pretty Penny, even wholesale. 

10 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Or just transplant trees from the wooded area behind Orion (like more where that newer building that was built during Orion's construction is so it isn't that noticeable then go and plant them in areas that could use more trees.

Those would likely not live as they have an extensive shallow root system. And if they would love, it would likely cost more in labor vs material for purchased trees.  I do like the idea of native trees though. 

10 hours ago, Aaron88stang said:

If they do not already have one, perhaps a tree farm would be something for them to consider. They have the land for it. They could then have a ready supply of older trees to transplant when needed. 

That's a great idea...start seedlings in pots and get them up to 6-8 tall.  Between seedlings and cuttings, you can have an endless supply. 

• Like 5

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic