Backlot Rollback

PKIVortex

So after 17 years of riding Backlot, I got to experience something I never have. As we were approaching the top of the helix I knew we were not going to make it over. So I got to experience the helix backward. I must admit that was awesome. So I got a third of a ride lol. After this happened Maintenance had to push us back into the station, and after a few minutes we loaded into the red train and got to ride the entire ride. The rollback happened In the white train, and then when ride reopened they didn't load rows 5 or 6. Has anyone experienced this before?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

8 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

So after 17 years of riding Backlot, I got to experience something I never have. As we were approaching the top of the helix I knew we were not going to make it over. So I got to experience the helix backward. I must admit that was awesome. So I got a third of a ride lol. After this happened Maintenance had to push us back into the station, and after a few minutes we loaded into the red train and got to ride the entire ride. The rollback happened In the white train, and then when ride reopened they didn't load rows 5 or 6. Has anyone experienced this before?

I don’t know if this has affected it but I noticed the launch wasn’t as powerful as it used to be this year. That could just be me though.

Also you say it happened in the white train? The white train was the one that got dismantled earlier in the year and they shut down the ride for about a week.

• Like 1

I was on an early morning rollback earlier this year, and to me, it felt as if the launch was choppy (I'll explain). The initial launch out of the station was normal, but while usually the acceleration is smooth and gradual, it felt choppy as if some of the LSMs pushed it, but almost like a few didn't engage with the train and it like coasted the middle of the launch portion without any acceleration before hitting the end of the LSMs and getting one last push from the set of LSMs at the end. It was odd because I only notice it only certain days, and even if I ride it multiple times in one day, it's different every time. Don't know if its on a train basis or case by case basis. Same thing though, some days they wouldn't be loading the 6th row or the entire back car, which kills capacity on an already bad ride in terms of rider capacity. The backwards helix is quite entertaining though, makes that intense element even more exciting, certainly not a family coaster when you experience a rollback though:P. I'm curious, has anyone else felt this quick last burst at the end of the launch compared to past years?

• Like 3

I don’t know if this has affected it but I noticed the launch wasn’t as powerful as it used to be this year. That could just be me though.
Also you say it happened in the white train? The white train was the one that got dismantled earlier in the year and they shut down the ride for about a week.
Yes white train.

1 hour ago, CoasterJack said:

I was on an early morning rollback earlier this year, and to me, it felt as if the launch was choppy (I'll explain). The initial launch out of the station was normal, but while usually the acceleration is smooth and gradual, it felt choppy as if some of the LSMs pushed it, but almost like a few didn't engage with the train and it like coasted the middle of the launch portion without any acceleration before hitting the end of the LSMs and getting one last push from the set of LSMs at the end. It was odd because I only notice it only certain days, and even if I ride it multiple times in one day, it's different every time. Don't know if its on a train basis or case by case basis. Same thing though, some days they wouldn't be loading the 6th row or the entire back car, which kills capacity on an already bad ride in terms of rider capacity. The backwards helix is quite entertaining though, makes that intense element even more exciting, certainly not a family coaster when you experience a rollback though:P. I'm curious, has anyone else felt this quick last burst at the end of the launch compared to past years?

Note that Backlot uses a LIM launch and not LSM.

I never really noticed any differences in the launch but I did have a ride a couple months ago in row 2 that gave legit strong airtime on a couple of hills. I recently tried row 2 to see if it can be recreated and while it did give some airtime, it didn't yeet me out of my seat like the previous ride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was on a rollback on closing night 2006. Last car. The launch either aborted or mis-timed right before the end of the launch run and the very last safety brake grabbed the back car for a split second, slowed it enough to only make it about 3/4 up the helix before stalling. Rolled back and stopped in the safety brakes, sat there for a while until maintenance and supervisors came out and pushed the train back into the load station. Everyone got back out into the loading gates, they tested a few empty trains, and then started loading again. No problems that time.

The only concern was the time, much longer waiting on the pushback and restart would've meant missing the final Beast rides. It was a last-second "oh, there's no line" decision to ride on the way to Beast.

• Like 2