2023 KIC Off Season Poll Series Week I: What Was Your Favorite Part of the 50th Anniversary?

BB1

Welcome back to what was a very fun off season activity in years past, and something I would like to bring back for the long term.

For those who are newer to the site, each week I'll be posting a poll to see what you think about KI or the amusement park industry at large. Each week will see a blend of actual polls and topics for you to express your thoughts and to breeze by the dreaded Off Season blues. Yes, I know KI has a Winterfest event that will extend our season in the next few weeks; however the normal season has come to a close and for our northern neighbors, they no longer have a season. 

This week we will be discussing what your favorite part of the 50th Anniversary season was? Was it the new food options? The new shows? The merchandise? Feel free to comment below and share what you thought was the best part!

For myself I would have to say the food experiences for the 50th was a huge hit. Absolutely loved the food options, the Viking pork shank being a go to for weeks on end. As well, the Dinosaur wings were REALLY good (would love to see them come back if possible!) 

• Like 1

Experiencing the classic retro racer paint was something for sure. I’m a lover for history and seeing the red, white, and blue pop back was absolutely gorgeous. Shame they never got the raised letters back on the front of The Racer trains, maybe next year.

I loved a lot of things in the 2022 season. Opening day was gorgeous, Beast was awesome, the shows were great, and the food was spot on. 

• Like 2

There were so many amazing things about this season so I don't really have a favorite! My favorite show probably was Phantom Theater Encore! Even though I never got to ride the old Phantom Theater as it closed like a month after I was born, it was a well put on show and I loved all the stuff they put on display in the lobby from the old ride. I still am holding onto hope that one day they redo Boo Blasters to become a reborn Phantom Theater. Fun fact: I actually helped close Boo Blasters yesterday and everytime I work the ride, I keep thinking how much Phantom Theater needs to return in some form in that building. 

Anyways, I really applaud the park for such an amazing celebration this year! They really knocked it out of the park especially with all the shows they did this year as well as the repaints and TLC to make the park look great! 

While I said PT encore was my favorite show, I didn't include Fun, Fireworks, and 50 as it is in its own world. Literally, everytime I would see the show, I would get that feeling where I would almost cry. This firework show was literally on the level of Disney's fireworks. I want to give a huge round of applause to the people who would set up the drones every night, got the fireworks ready, and launched them every night in sync with the soundtrack as if it were the 4th of July every night. You guys rocked! 

• Like 1

I think all the regular season shows were great in their own ways. The 70's show was a throwback to when the park first opened and Phantom Theatre: Encore was a throwback to an older type of show (as well as the ride that the show was inspired by). The Fireworks show was really cool and I enjoyed seeing it from various locations throughout the park such as from Brewhouse patio, The Bat's "rainforest" (that was super cool - it was like being deep in the rainforest and seeing flares in the distance!), and of course at the front of the park. The history timeline walk in Tower Gardens was cool as well, though I really wished they'd have put a small display in there detailing the history of Haunt during the event, but I understand they are prepping that area for Candy Cane Lane. And speaking of Haunt, it was a lot of fun to come back to that after being gone for so long (I had not been to Haunt since 2018, though I did scare in 2019). Slaughterhouse and Chaos were great (especially this past Saturday night! :D) and Alien X was an interesting scarezone with really cool costumes and makeup. I also thought highly of Pumpkin Eater's relocation and felt Cornered got better as the Haunt season progressed. Finally, I loved the addition of the DJ in Coney Maul and also enjoyed waiting for Madame Fatale's to open a weekend or so ago and ended up being the first person in the maze that night.

So, what was my favorite part? I'm not really sure... I feel like it's been a long season (in a good way) and to think, it's not even over yet! And even though we still have Winterfest to go, I am super hype for the debut of Adventure Port!

EDIT: Oh! I almost forgot getting my book signed by @KIghostguy and Mike Koontz (as well as meeting Dennis Spiegel). As I said, it's been a busy season!

• Like 3

I really enjoyed this season!! KI smashed it out of the park this year!

One of my favorite parts was the 50th Anniversary Light and drone show that was incredible!

The food this year was so good I don’t think there really was anything I didn’t enjoy eating!

All the park improvements were amazing! Loved that the old Racer colors came back! And The Beast new track was super smooth I hope they continue to add more!

Can’t wait for next year to see what comes along with Adventure Port!

• Like 1

We seem to have a couple threads like this, but this is the one that seems to be getting the most attention. Reposting what I said in one of the others:

In general, I thought this season as a whole was fantastic and one of the best in the 14 years I've been a passholder as an adult. The park was in peak performance this year, and I absolutely loved it and love where we're heading.

The announcement of Adventure Port has to be up there for me. I can't begin to describe the joy it brings me to see KI move closer to being a theme park.

On a smaller note, one of my favorite personal moments this year was participating (and placing second in) the 50th anniversary art contest back in May. I don't typically do art for anything other than my own satisfaction, and it felt amazing to put the work in and see it pay off. Getting to participate in the signing event and meet park staff was one of the coolest things I've gotten to do at the park!

• Like 3

Couldn't have asked for a better 50th so what was my fav thing? 

#1. Beast re-tracking! If there was any doubt about The Beast being one of the best in the park, the re-tracking has solidified it as such. The wait time has been up a ton as well so I think a lot of people have realized how much better/smoother it is now. 

However, I also loved the shows, repainting of other attractions, and new food offerings. Wish alot of that would stuck around for next season too as it's really elevated the park experience. I'd love to see a continuation of high tech fireworks shows and a return of phantom theater encore. Also the special food items themed to defunct rides was not only good but really elevated the dining. I've never been one to eat in the park but this year I was curious as to what each location has to celebrate the 50th and which previous attractions they represented. Very awesome! 

• Like 2