Seasonal overlays and re-ridability

brenthodge

With new theatre and effect tech making it easier to have different experiences using mapping, screens, and other lighting based effects instead of so many practical effects- what misses do you see where the park could really cater to its base that visits the park a lot throughout the season. There are so many things they could do to increase theming while at the same time enhance the re-ride experience by changing things up. Mystic was a dip in the water with this. What else could they come up with? First thing to my mind is mapped projection on base props in the tunnels on Adventure so that each tunnel has 2-3 versions that all vary giving almost infinite variations-with  to the final hill being the one real practical effect. 

All I ask is that whatever VR they choose to implement, they make it voluntary on each seat if its a coaster for instance.  Call me for a "Get off my lawn" thought process or whatever you want, but when I want to ride a coaster, I want to ride a coaster and IM 100% good with the feelings and sensations the mechanical device itself gives my body.  Ive used Occulus and other various VR systems in racing sims, and yes in a 4-6 axis racing or flight sim its rad, but leave my coasters what they are, at least for me.  With that said, in the last couple of days I saw a fully articulating and rotating multi-seat platform on I believe a YT page I was watching from the manufacturer who's name people are afraid to like, enjoy, and get behind that would be incredible inside Action Theater.  Something like that, or an implementation of a "Choose your own adventure" style situation on a ride like Boo Blasters according to what you shoot as mentioned above i can definitely get behind 100%.  One humorous thing that just came to my mind is to have a projector randomly project Rick Astley's face on the face of the figure at the top of AE's second lift :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

All I ask is that whatever VR they choose to implement, they make it voluntary on each seat if its a coaster for instance.  Call me for a "Get off my lawn" thought process or whatever you want, but when I want to ride a coaster, I want to ride a coaster and IM 100% good with the feelings and sensations the mechanical device itself gives my body.  Ive used Occulus and other various VR systems in racing sims, and yes in a 4-6 axis racing or flight sim its rad, but leave my coasters what they are, at least for me.  With that said, in the last couple of days I saw a fully articulating and rotating multi-seat platform on I believe a YT page I was watching from the manufacturer who's name people are afraid to like, enjoy, and get behind that would be incredible inside Action Theater.  Something like that, or an implementation of a "Choose your own adventure" style situation on a ride like Boo Blasters according to what you shoot as mentioned above i can definitely get behind 100%.  One humorous thing that just came to my mind is to have a projector randomly project Rick Astley's face on the face of the figure at the top of AE's second lift :lol:

I doubt you'll see it on a coaster for safety reasons. Boo Blasters and Action Theater are exactly what I was thinking. I could easily see the prior returning its former glory as a modernized Phantom Theater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I doubt you'll see it on a coaster for safety reasons. Boo Blasters and Action Theater are exactly what I was thinking. I could easily see the prior returning its former glory as a modernized Phantom Theater.

It has been done on coasters....CP even did it with Iron Dragon...

Picture

Six Flags' new VR roller coaster is both breathtaking and broken

headsets_center.jpg

https://coasterpedia.net/wiki/Virtual_reality_roller_coaster

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Picture

headsets_center.jpg

Eh, I would not like this lol.

What's the point of the ride then if you're not experiencing the ride itself but rather a reality outside of the ride and in VR?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to say Six Flags stopped doing it a few years ago... I want to say it all disappeared by 2018. I could be wrong. If not then, then definitely by 2019.

I'm still entertained and confused by some of Six Flags's ride choices for VR. Ninja at SFStL? Mind Eraser at SFA? You just blindfolded an innocent bystander and threw them in a pro boxing match.

I don't agree with the anti-Six Flags bias the coaster nerd world has had for decades, but this is one where Cedar Fair definitively had a better execution.

• Like 1

Hey, I rode Iron Dragon VR back in 2018. I thought it was pretty cool but not worth the very increased wait time (dispatches went from about 2 minutes per cycle to 10+) and on my 1st ride, my headset did not work at all. (The ride ops were super nice and put me in a empty seat to re-ride the next train though)

That said a tamer smooth ride like Iron Dragon was probably the perfect choice for this: I would hate to ride something like Invertigo with VR.

11 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Maybe I am just old school, but if a coaster needs VR, then they need to call RMC or just take it out. A coaster should be able to give its own entertainment without having to blind you with a phone screen in front of your face.

totally agree- there are other ways to enhance the experience

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, disco2000 said:

Picture

headsets_center.jpg

The world's most expensive moving theater! Like at this point just bring back Action Theater, with enough motion in the seats and wind effects, I'd imagine it could be a very similar experience for a fraction of the cost WITHOUT overriding a current coaster experience.

If there is a VR experience in KI, I'd love to see a VOID like setup. I think that would do numbers as an additional upcharge, where you can get tickets and reserve a time for your 30-minute (or more!) adventure through a VR space with tangible elements. For bonus points, the grey-pad rooms that you walk through IRL can be modular, and there can be a new VR theme thrown over it every year to keep guests coming back for a new experience on a smaller budget for the park.