Chic-Fil-A to close at Kings Dominion after 2022 season

12 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Part of the rumor was a new restaurant was taking Skylines place.  Not sure how true this is however.  The rumor may have something behind it with this announcement.

if true I hope it is something like KD's Grain & Grill. I've heard it is one of the best restaurants at KD. 

However, at the same time, we already have 2 new restaurants coming to Adventure Port with Enriques and the Mercado. Honestly, I also think this would be the perfect opportunity to completely redo Festhaus and cut both Panda express and Larosas (we have 2 other larosas already so it wouldn't hurt to cut the Festhaus one) and give the Festhaus German food like BGW's Festhaus. 

• Like 2

With the renewed focus on food offerings at KI - and the tremendous strides they have made - it would make sense that the park may want to downsize the amount of chain, non-KI offerings. 

I can only speak personally, but when I go to parks - I'd much rather eat something unique to a park rather than stand in a ridiculously long line at a Subway or Chick Fil A. 

• Like 6

And the Subway locations in the park, typically have not offered the full line up of menu items found at a Subway outside the park.  That being said, I think there is a place for a sub sandwich shop in the park.  

If true and Skyline ends up moving to where Chik Fil A is located, it would be ashame they loose their indoor dining.  There is not a lot of shaded eating areas over by Chik Fil A, or warm areas for during Winterfest.  If this rumor turns out to be true, I wonder what restaurant takes up residence on I-Street.  At one point in time, there used to be a chinese restaurant there, and at one point they had a character breakfast in there in the early to late 90`s.  I believe it went by All Star Cafe.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terry wass said:

not really a big fan of the limited menu that chains bring in. i usually go with brew house and the inside seating places. I also tend to go with the grilled chicken over breaded. just a preference.

I like the chicken but at Kings Island Chik-fil-A always has a line, its an even worse value than many of the other food stands, and it has some of the worst fries in the park. Plus there's the whole Sunday issue.

This is interesting because Carowinds has announced that they're also getting rid of Chick-fil-A. Cedar Point got rid of both of their Subways this year. Personally, while I enjoy my Chick-fil-A nuggets and Subway tuna sandwiches, I can get those anywhere and I do prefer park-specific food when I visit. The really nice aspect of Kings Island's Chick-fil-A is that employees are allowed to purchase from it because it's connected to the employee cafeteria. So it was always a nice treat during a long day!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

And the Subway locations in the park, typically have not offered the full line up of menu items found at a Subway outside the park.  That being said, I think there is a place for a sub sandwich shop in the park.  

If true and Skyline ends up moving to where Chik Fil A is located, it would be ashame they loose their indoor dining.  There is not a lot of shaded eating areas over by Chik Fil A, or warm areas for during Winterfest.  If this rumor turns out to be true, I wonder what restaurant takes up residence on I-Street.  At one point in time, there used to be a chinese restaurant there, and at one point they had a character breakfast in there in the early to late 90`s.  I believe it went by All Star Cafe.

The Chinese restaurant was Mandarine Cuisine. I think it was only in 2004. 

Edit: 2003

Discussion: 

Side note: that post is older than some of you. :D

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

This is interesting because Carowinds has announced that they're also getting rid of Chick-fil-A. Cedar Point got rid of both of their Subways this year. Personally, while I enjoy my Chick-fil-A nuggets and Subway tuna sandwiches, I can get those anywhere and I do prefer park-specific food when I visit. The really nice aspect of Kings Island's Chick-fil-A is that employees are allowed to purchase from it because it's connected to the employee cafeteria. So it was always a nice treat during a long day!

Just curious . . what food offerings do you get in the employee cafeteria?

34 minutes ago, rlentless said:

Just curious . . what food offerings do you get in the employee cafeteria?

I'm assuming it hasn't changed much, but when I was there, we weren't allowed to buy Chick Fil-A.

Typically Larosas Pizza is always on the menu, then they would have the standard chicken fingers, burgers, etc.  They would also have a daily special.  It was all pretty decent.

Two thoughts on this.

1. Where will all the teenagers eat if Chic Fil A closes?

2. Do they not know this is the closest Chic Fil A to my house, and I order at the Kings Island CFA the same thing I do at an actual restaurant? It also helps that is it on my meal plan.

Skyline discussion 

I love some Skyline, but eating it outside on a 90 degree day does not sound fun.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The Chinese restaurant was Mandarine Cuisine. I think it was only in 2004. 

Edit: 2003

Discussion: 

Side note: that post is older than some of you. :D

History of that location

Sausage Haus 72-87

The Deli 1988- 1995

Skyline Available starting in '90 thru 1995

Started serving Breakfast from 9am to 11am in 1993

All- Star Sports Café (Subs, Salads, Desserts)1996- 2002

No Skyline

Started Breakfast with Characters around 1997

Breakfast Ceases in 1998

Mandarin Cuisine 2003-2004

Skyline Chili 2005- Current

• Like 1

As a Detroiter, I always thought it was cool when I went to CP or KI and they had CFA because we didn't have any in Michigan. In recent years, that's started to change and we have them all over (by year's end, I'll have two within five miles of me). So, it feels less special when I see it and I'm less likely to eat at the Kings Island CFA (also, the fact that the lines are always super long is another deterrent). When I go to the parks, I enjoy the local fare, but I'll pass on something I can get so close to my home. 

I do wonder if the reason we're seeing (right now) a park-to-park discontinuation of CFAs has anything to do with losing revenue by having a food venue closed on Sundays. I'm not sure of the food offerings at other Cedar Fair parks -- if they don't have as interesting a food lineup as Kings Island or Cedar Point (which is opening a huge restaurant next year), can they afford to have one of their major venues closed during a weekend day? Or, it could have to do with when each park's location opened; maybe Kings Island's CFA is operating under a contract that lasts a bit longer. I'm sure there are people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable about this than I am. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

History of that location

Sausage Haus 72-87

The Deli 1988- 1995

Skyline Available starting in '90 thru 1995

Started serving Breakfast from 9am to 11am in 1993

All- Star Sports Café (Subs, Salads, Desserts)1996- 2002

No Skyline

Started Breakfast with Characters around 1997

Breakfast Ceases in 1998

Mandarin Cuisine 2003-2004

Skyline Chili 2005- Current

Are you saying Skyline was available at the Deli?

11 hours ago, teenageninja said:

I'm assuming it hasn't changed much, but when I was there, we weren't allowed to buy Chick Fil-A.

Typically Larosas Pizza is always on the menu, then they would have the standard chicken fingers, burgers, etc.  They would also have a daily special.  It was all pretty decent.

I always enjoyed the Grilled Chicken Sandwiches there... that was good stuff. B)

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find many Grilled Chicken places in the park and I was not a fan of the one I had from Jukebox over the summer. 

Though this is getting off topic, Firebirds does have a pretty good grilled chicken sandwich; they put some type of seasoning in there that makes it really tasty!

Getting back on topic, it would be unfortunate if Chic-fil-A closed at the park as it seems to be pretty popular. That being said, I think I've only eaten there once and that was to get waffle fries. Even outside of the park, I only get three things from their menu (fries, Biscuits and Mac and Cheese) as I'm a picky eater.