If you had the capital to invest in Mason

SonofBaconator

I think a City Walk sort of area with a hotel and some restaurants would be nice. Only problem is Liberty Center being located not too far away, so you'd have to make sure that you'd be catering with different options than what's already offered. Like if you bought the old Kings Island Inn area and ran a shuttle, it might work. I mean if you wanted to go the full 10 yards you build a man made water canal for boats and shuttle people. Definitely could turn it into some sort of shopping district/attraction destination. I just don't know if the demand would be there besides like Western & Southern tournament days or peak days in the summer. I just don't know something of that size could sustain itself realistically.

If we're talking realistically, a reasonably nice hotel right off the exit where the Laser Craze is currently located. Good proximity to the highway, more affordable than the Great Wolf Lodge, but a bit nicer than some of the surrounding offerings, maybe even get a partnership with the park or something.

• Like 1

I would turn that whole area or at least a good chunk of it between Banshee, the dorms, and Kings High School into a complex that includes a Hotel like Universal Dockside Resort (I enjoyed my stay there) along with a city walk area and it connects with another entrance to the park that would access a new section of the park. I made a little concept awhile back where a new area behind Banshee connects AZ with A72/Adventure Port and it has a separate entrance gate/pathway that connects to a hotel. Even though it isn't drawn, they can definitely do a CityWalk area near the hotel maybe relocate the greenhouses and have the CityWalk adjacent to GWL as well. The coaster I have in the new themed area is a B&M surf (modern King Cobra). The whole area is a Safari themed area. Ik this won't happen, but if I could invest in Mason/KI, this is likely what I would do.

image.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I would turn that whole area or at least a good chunk of it between Banshee, the dorms, and Kings High School into a complex that includes a Hotel like Universal Dockside Resort (I enjoyed my stay there) along with a city walk area and it connects with another entrance to the park that would access a new section of the park. I made a little concept awhile back where a new area behind Banshee connects AZ with A72/Adventure Port and it has a separate entrance gate/pathway that connects to a hotel. Even though it isn't drawn, they can definitely do a CityWalk area near the hotel maybe relocate the greenhouses and have the CityWalk adjacent to GWL as well. The coaster I have in the new themed area is a B&M surf (modern King Cobra). The whole area is a Safari themed area. Ik this won't happen, but if I could invest in Mason/KI, this is likely what I would do.

image.png

I really like this concept of connecting Action Zone and area 72 with a new safari themed area. One can wish right? I personally don't think The Bat is going to last forever (some may disagree but if they decided to axe Firehawk and Vortex because of maintenance costs, I can't see them keeping The Bat which will be very sad when that day comes) anyway, the logistics of The Bat currently makes no sense why you have to walk 3 miles to get to it and if you somehow replaced it with a new coaster(s) and a safari themed area that connects to area 72 I think it would be a huge win for the park in the long run. 

However, to answer the question the thread is about - What would I invest in located in Mason, OH? I would invest in a themed hotel that pays homage to King Island coasters. Theme the rooms to  different coasters or rides. I think it would be really cool and kick the idea of the ride themed up a notch if you could stay in a themed room. For example, you could do a terrific themed room off Orion/Area 72 with the whole prototype space theme. Mystic Timbers, Banshee, Beast, Adventure Express are also all prime candidates for themed hotel rooms. As for the location, the site of the former Kings Island Hotel right across the street is prime real estate and I'm not sure what they are using that property for right now but it always looks sad and abandoned....and why the heck do they still have a sign by the road for a hotel that hasn't existed in years?! 

• 6 months later...

I had time to think about this. I’d try to invest into renovation the golf course across I-71 to with the intent to host a pga tournament of some kind. There’s a tournament currently in being played in Columbus so having one in the neighboring region shouldn’t be out of the question.

There is quite a difference between the golf course across the street and Muirfield where the tour is currently lol.  Even though both courses are designed by Jack, he would just as soon not have his name attached to that course and has made efforts to distance himself from it as it was the first or one of the first courses he "designed" and certainly not in the same league as his other designs.

The land is just too flat to create a championship quality course without great expense for a golf course Mason loses money on every year to begin with.  It is just too easy of a course for every tour level, which is why the PGA, LPGA, and senior tour all had stints there and left.

Losing the ATP could be the final straw to see that whole tract turned into condos and homes.  It has already happened to 27 holes there.

Truthfully, I would not invest in mason. The area is just not enough of a draw for me and many other tourists. 

Now if I could invest as KI...I'd aquire adjacent land and move as many of the none customer facing aspects of property (maybe make ki an easy coast hub for train rebuilds, signs, wardrobe making etc). This would add year round FTEs to the local economy. I'd aquire great wolf lodge, renovate it to breakers standards and ad a true campground. Id look into doing a nature area using the river and woods that is low impact. I'd try to add a small fec type of building that would have year round interest. I'd sustainably build out the parking and look at bringing in a downtown Disney atmosphere to drive revenue. I'd buy out the complaining neighbors and charge myself $1/year for rent so Diamondback can rattle my windows.  I'd rebuild KCKC.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...