WinterFest 2022 Reviews and Updates

IndyGuy4KI

Agree. Only could find the price by looking at the (sold out) page on line. Miss all around on that. Seems like it was an afterthought. Parade stoped on coney last night. Must’ve been a one time thing. Maybe they saw rain coming and decided to just run it straight through. Wonder if it stopped at other 3 spots. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robintodd said:

Went last Saturday with the granddaughter, had a great time.  Couple things I noticed.  The prarade didn't stop at it's first stop.  Is this normal?  Some of the people on the floats looked surprised that the audience participation part of the music didn't come on.  The parade just stopped, then started up again.  Not sure if it was temp or what.

Also I coun't fin the price of the new picture book, they should have as sign with it on the table where they are displaying them.  I'm pretty sure it's $75, but many were wondering the same thing around me.  Also at the left of the front gate (facing the tower) there was a book I had never seen "goodbye coney island goodbye".  All the covers seemd to have water damage on them.  After thinking about it it made sense that this was on purpose because I believe the book is pictures of coney island after the flood that lead to it's closing.  Anyway thought I'd mention it since I never noticed it before and never saw anything on it here.  Couldn't figure the price on that on either.  I looked on the back but didn't have my glasses so it may have been in the small print.

Either way, another fantastic night, can't believe there are only 2 weeks left in the season and we are already on to weekday operations.  Keep up the good work KI looking forward to ending the greatest season ever with a bang on NYE :)

Just FYI, the price tag on "Goodbye Coney Island, Goodbye" is on the inside front cover, and it is $6.95.  They are all original 1972 print NOS (New Old Stock) and once they are gone, they are gone.  I got one in mid October, and it is a fantastic read.

38 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Just FYI, the price tag on "Goodbye Coney Island, Goodbye" is on the inside front cover, and it is $6.95.  They are all original 1972 print NOS (New Old Stock) and once they are gone, they are gone.  I got one in mid October, and it is a fantastic read.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get one my next trip if they are there!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robintodd said:

Went last Saturday with the granddaughter, had a great time.  Couple things I noticed.  The prarade didn't stop at it's first stop.  Is this normal?  Some of the people on the floats looked surprised that the audience participation part of the music didn't come on.  The parade just stopped, then started up again.  Not sure if it was temp or what.

Also I coun't fin the price of the new picture book, they should have as sign with it on the table where they are displaying them.  I'm pretty sure it's $75, but many were wondering the same thing around me.  Also at the left of the front gate (facing the tower) there was a book I had never seen "goodbye coney island goodbye".  All the covers seemd to have water damage on them.  After thinking about it it made sense that this was on purpose because I believe the book is pictures of coney island after the flood that lead to it's closing.  Anyway thought I'd mention it since I never noticed it before and never saw anything on it here.  Couldn't figure the price on that on either.  I looked on the back but didn't have my glasses so it may have been in the small print.

Either way, another fantastic night, can't believe there are only 2 weeks left in the season and we are already on to weekday operations.  Keep up the good work KI looking forward to ending the greatest season ever with a bang on NYE :)

The “Goodbye Coney Island” books were found in an attic in October. They are believed to be from the 1972 season. They have damage because, well, they’ve been in an attic for 50 years! But the book is good, the story behind these physical copies is astounding, and I think the book is being sold for its original retail price, I think it was ~$7, minus applicable discounts. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Agree. Only could find the price by looking at the (sold out) page on line. Miss all around on that. Seems like it was an afterthought. Parade stoped on coney last night. Must’ve been a one time thing. Maybe they saw rain coming and decided to just run it straight through. Wonder if it stopped at other 3 spots. 

When I went Saturday, the parade didn't have any stops (other than for what I assume to be spacing of the floats so they don't crash into each other) as far as I could tell. I assumed this was for weather purposes as it was pretty cold on Saturday night and it snowed periodically throughout the evening.

• Like 1

I feel like there have been quite a few subtle “omissions” the last year or so. The entertainment at the BrewHouse, the snow globe, the carriage rides, was 4 drummers reduced? Last Sunday night I got over there at 7:35 for a 7:30 show and they finished the song they were doing and were gone. It was maybe 7:40. I remember light up drum sticks and way more interactive things. I LOVE Winterfest, but certainly there were aspects that seemed a bit light this year. And I still wish they would move Scrooge back to a covered outdoor area instead of sharing space where it make no sense thematically. It belongs on I street or Rivertown with the midway characters close by. 

• Like 1

I got to Winterfest this past Monday.  It was a chilly evening.  Cold, especially for Winterfest, is fine, but it was definitely getting into that "not fun" temperature zone.  Props to all of the staff that continue to make this event possible.  A few random pics are below:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_2397.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2435.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

This is my favorite show!

Agreed! This, Tinkers and the parade are my favorite WF shows this year.

Also, re: Drummers, I’ve seen a full show this year, but it was way different from previous years. Perhaps that show got shortened due to the cold?

• Like 1

I am having fun at Winterfest but a few things I miss are some of the food options that were on the meal plan.  Festhaus had more unique holiday food options and the Brewhouse had the reasonable upcharge buffet with entertainment.  Just a few things I miss this year.

• Like 1

Went to this December 20 with my parents.

Due to my family's work schedule and traffic on the way (the backups were caused by traffic lights), we didn't get there until around 6-6:30. Aside from walking around and taking pictures, we ate at the Festhaus and watched Swingin' Into Christmas, watched the parade, and looked at ice sculptures, including one that was in progress.

Next time, whether by myself or with family, I will try to get there earlier.

Anyway, something has been bugging me.  I have been looking for unique and original Christmas songs, past and present.  For Swingin' Into Christmas, I figured out a couple I didn't know (Magical Time of Year and Cool Yule), but there is still one I can't figure out.  It had lines like "You better run run run away run away Rudolph" in it.  Googling the lyrics didn't help (I just get that Chuck Berry classic, which isn't this song).

You know what song that is?

• Like 1

Well I visited for the final time this year as I'll be heading south to FL at the end of the week. My dad got to play Scrooge in what the Dickens tonight which was fun. Got to sit with a guy who works in the entertainment at the park during the Tinkers Toy Factory Show and he was giving us the scoop on all the performers in the show this year. I think that show is the biggest success of the 2022 Winterfest. As always, Poindexter and Santa are awesome and of course my family has a favorite Tinker actor (I believe I was told his name was David, short guy in the blue hat). I finally saw the new Swinging Into Christmas and frankly I didn't stay past the 3rd song...Not sure what the show was trying to accomplish other than drown out the Festhaus noise. Didn't recognize any of the songs and while others may enjoy the show because it's different, I'm a traditionalist and want to hear the songs we all know and love. Give me some Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, Sinatra, Eartha Kitt, Frankie Valli, etc and I'll be happy. Also saw the Cool Yule Christmas which seemed to have a lot more "modern" songs as well. Anyway, one of the best things about winterfest is I guess there's something for everyone but if I had a wish for next year, it would be for a new indoor show with more traditional Christmas songs or even a show based off the movie White Christmas which includes many great dance numbers and songs. Just a thought. Regardless Tinker MUST stay in Festhaus (*edit: KI Theater) and hopefully most of the cast from this year returns for 2023 because I've enjoyed all of their performances. (I do want to see the original version return in 2023 instead of "Christmas Fever Edition") 

PXL_20221228_020443056.jpg

Edited by johnjniehaus
Mixed up Festhaus and KI Theater - see edit (*)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, johnjniehaus said:

Well I visited for the final time this year as I'll be heading south to FL at the end of the week. My dad got to play Scrooge in what the Dickens tonight which was fun. Got to sit with a guy who works in the entertainment at the park during the Tinkers Toy Factory Show and he was giving us the scoop on all the performers in the show this year. I think that show is the biggest success of the 2022 Winterfest. As always, Poindexter and Santa are awesome and of course my family has a favorite Tinker actor (I believe I was told his name was David, short guy in the blue hat). I finally saw the new Swinging Into Christmas and frankly I didn't stay past the 3rd song...Not sure what the show was trying to accomplish other than drown out the Festhaus noise. Didn't recognize any of the songs and while others may enjoy the show because it's different, I'm a traditionalist and want to hear the songs we all know and love. Give me some Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, Sinatra, Eartha Kitt, Frankie Valli, etc and I'll be happy. Also saw the Cool Yule Christmas which seemed to have a lot more "modern" songs as well. Anyway, one of the best things about winterfest is I guess there's something for everyone but if I had a wish for next year, it would be for a new indoor show with more traditional Christmas songs or even a show based off the movie White Christmas which includes many great dance numbers and songs. Just a thought. Regardless Tinker MUST stay in Festhaus and hopefully most of the cast from this year returns for 2023 because I've enjoyed all of their performances. (I do want to see the original version return in 2023 instead of "Christmas Fever Edition") 

PXL_20221228_020443056.jpg

Do you mean “must stay in KI theatre? It WAS in Festhaus.

I agree about “swinging” it just didn’t gel for me. It wasn’t really “big band”. Mistletones sort of have that vibe. but then Bruno Mars thrown in it was was too much like Cool Yule. It was just… weird and not different enough. Almost would’ve been cool to somehow have over in TinselTown area and use the Mistletones as more roaming entertainment now.  I’ve often said that FestHaus is really hard to do anything BUT just song and dance though since it’s just a really odd performing space and most people are just eating and talking. I think they really need to redesign the international showplace to make it usable for Winterfest with less sloped seating, better coverage and even heating to do something there and in the KI theatre more “scripted” then do the review type thing like swingin into Christmas in festhaus. Since it is German, would be nice to actually do something more traditional, but with todays crowd it would probably be even MORE tuned out if it wasn’t loud and upbeat. It was fine and talented cast and b by and.  I just don’t like that it took the spot of a more produced show when we also lost Charlie Brown Christmas Spectacular with more production numbers. It doesn’t seem like the kind of show that needs full production capabilities. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Do you mean “must stay in KI theatre? It WAS in Festhaus. I agree about “swinging” it just didn’t gel for me. It wasnt really “big band”. It was just… weird. I’ve often said that space is really hard to do anything BUT just song though since it’s just a really odd performing space and most people are just eating and talking. I think they really need to redesign the international showplace to make it usable for Winterfest with less sloped seating, better coverage and even heating to do something there and in the KI theatre more “scripted” then do the review type thing like swingin into Christmas in festhaus. I just don’t like that it took the spot of a more produced show when we also lost Charlie Brown Christmas Spectacular with more production numbers. 

I'm sorry I meant that Tinker needs to stay in the KI Theater. I can see why that was confusing. I meant to say KI Theater and somehow Festhaus got mixed up in there.

I agree that it would be nice to see a show in International Showplace... I'm kinda surprised they don't find a way to use it. The Cincinnati Zoo has a sloped amphitheater they use for the puppet show thing.  

I also agree that the Festhaus is an odd showplace and that Tinker was always hard to hear in there because of all the talking and clamor of it also being a restaurant. However, Swinging Into Christmas was not very good. Sure it was loud enough but I didn't recognize any of the songs I heard (given I left after 3 songs) and frankly I just thought it was a boring/bizarre show with strange songs. I honestly was more interested in reading my Goodbye Coney Island book I bought tonight for $6.75 than whatever was going on with Swinging Into Christmas. 

On a different topic they need to keep those premium funnel cakes (creme brulee and peppermint) on the Winterfest menu....they were the best funnel cakes I've ever had. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnjniehaus said:

I'm sorry I meant that Tinker needs to stay in the KI Theater. I can see why that was confusing.

I agree that it would be nice to see a show in International Showplace... I'm kinda surprised they don't find a way to use it. The Cincinnati Zoo has a sloped amphitheater they use for the puppet show thing.  

I also agree that the Festhaus is an odd showplace and that Tinker was always hard to hear in there because of all the talking and clamor of it also being a restaurant. However, Swinging Into Christmas was not very good. Sure it was loud enough but I didn't recognize any of the songs I heard (given I left after 3 songs) and frankly I just thought it was a boring/bizarre show with strange songs. I honestly was more interested in reading my Goodbye Coney Island book I bought tonight for $6.75 than whatever was going on with Swinging Into Christmas. 

On a different topic they need to keep those premium funnel cakes (creme brulee and peppermint) on the Winterfest menu....they were the best funnel cakes I've ever had. 

It would be cool if you could work the show and food TOGETHER in FestHaus like a “feast of Christmas” with 3 seatings pr night (5:30, 7, 8:30) but I can’t see people wanting to commit to the 45min-hour it would take to make it make sense. You’d have to get rid of the buffet lines and do more of a “pre fixe” like Stampede or Pirates Voyage and it would definitely have to be an upcharge, but Winterfest might be an ideal time to try it as long as they added additional indoor seating for dining and shows someplace else. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, johnjniehaus said:

agree that it would be nice to see a show in International Showplace... I'm kinda surprised they don't find a way to use it. The Cincinnati Zoo has a sloped amphitheater they use for the puppet show thing.  

I think it’s the angle of slope that’s the concern. I think it they redid the “tent roof” into something more hard-even if they had to add support poles and enclosed the sides like they do with coney BBQ and added heaters, they could have a decent most year round theatre. Of course they also have a decent covered performance space with donkeys and goats in it back in Plant Snooped that has great vocals wasted in a petting zoo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GORGEOUS night with a sheen of rain on the pavement reflecting the lights. Koontz lit the tree tonight, and it was a pleasure to catch him right after to give him and the ENTIRE TEAM props for the best season I personally have ever seen at this park. I missed the “glory days” but based on what I’ve seen this year, we haven’t been too far off with some of the best entertainment, ops, food, and EXPERIENCE at any regional park. Do I wish we could hit Knotts level? Sure, but darn him proud to call this “my KI” these days! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If we are on the topic of a Winterfest entertainment wish list (and speaking of Swinging into Christmas), I would love to see a mostly instrumental show with dancing... the instrumental segment (where the singers/dancers took a break) and the song right before that one were the highlights of Swinging into Christmas. I would love to see a show with just (mostly) that, with maybe one or two songs with lyrics thrown in somewhere. I feel like Swinging into Christmas was trying to borrow too much from other shows like Cool Yule and Mistletones. However, that instrumental segment was awesome!

8 hours ago, brenthodge said:

GORGEOUS night with a sheen of rain on the pavement reflecting the lights. Kootntz lit the tree tonight, and it was a pleasure to catch him right after to give him and the ENTIRE TEAM props for the best season I personally have ever seen at this park. I missed the “glory days” but based on what I’ve seen this year, we haven’t been too far off with some of the best entertainment, ops, food, and EXPERIENCE at any regional park. Do I wish we could hit Knotts level? Sure, but darn him proud to call this “my KI” these days! 

Thank you, as someone who worked incredibly hard on all of the entertainment options this year, this really means a lot! It was a hectic, stressful year, but the effort and passion myself and the rest of the team put into the park this season really showed. There were quite literal blood, sweat, and tears involved. I’m so proud of everything I worked on this year, from the April 29th 50th show, to the cavalcade, to Fun Fireworks and Fifty, to haunt lasers, to jingle bass, to NYE at bandstand, it was a very good season. Already excited for 2023! Also, as for the Knotts part, just gotta give it time, I think the park is headed in that direction! Happy new year everyone!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Snowball said:

Thank you, as someone who worked incredibly hard on all of the entertainment options this year, this really means a lot! It was a hectic, stressful year, but the effort and passion myself and the rest of the team put into the park this season really showed. There were quite literal blood, sweat, and tears involved. I’m so proud of everything I worked on this year, from the April 29th 50th show, to the cavalcade, to Fun Fireworks and Fifty, to haunt lasers, to jingle bass, to NYE at bandstand, it was a very good season. Already excited for 2023! Also, as for the Knotts part, just gotta give it time, I think the park is headed in that direction! Happy new year everyone!

I agree on the Knotts thing. I’ve talked to Mike a couple of times this season and every time I mention how I love seeing a shift to embrace a bigger picture with more entertainment, experience, theming and less focus on JUST ride stats he always gives a very “knowing nod” and agrees that is the way they see more long-term success and “brand building” going forward. I feel like the CF parks have the operational resources to fill in some of the blanks where I hear the Herschend parks are struggling (sadly) right now. Great job to you and all you did this season.

I’ve offered “constructive observation” on things you may have been involved with, and you’ve provided “in the trenches” context around that, but know that those comments are only based on the incredible strides I see the park making, and the excitement I feel in seeing what you guys are truly capable of. Keep up the GREAT work. 

• Like 2

Made my first ever visit to Winterfest on Dec 30.  Wife and I had a great time.  Watched most of the shows, saw the animals, had dinner, and walked around.  Nice evening.  Parade had to stop midway due to rain but we got to see all the groups.  Got lucky with light crowds after the day before was slammed.

Park looked really nice with all the lights and decorations.

• Like 4

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic