Pick one more coaster to run during Winterfest

SonofBaconator

Winterfest’s 4th coaster   

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although it would be tempting to choose one of the more intense/bigger coasters like Invertigo or Banshee, I voted for The Bat. The past few Winterfests I've walked back there (well, as far as I can go without trespassing - which is to say, a little past the Action Zone bathrooms) and was sad to see The Bat closed during the event. Though I understand that The Bat (and my second choice, Adventure Express) are Arrows and therefore, they can't run below a certain temperature, it would be great to have it open during this time (and on that note, I wonder if Adventure Express will be "winterized" during the offseason so that it could perhaps run during next year's WF). They could even have lights on some of the trees and festive signs in the area. :D

Also, like I said, my second (and more realistic choice) would be Adventure Express... perhaps this will happen with the opening of Adventure Port...

EDIT: I saw someone voted for Beast... that could be interesting during WF... it could even be rethemed to an abominable snowman like monster

• Like 5

Adventure Express would be fun and it could fit in with Adventure Port like @MDMC01 mentioned.

I ultimately voted for Racer just because it’s along the Coney Mall midway and would be easy to run considering they could either shut down one side and run it as one coaster, or do what @IndyGuy4KI said and take trains out of the rotation.

Also, I think Woodstock Express could be added to the lineup.

• Like 3

I voted for racer. I think our weather might be hard on the steel coasters running during winterfest. Somebody told me (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that wooden coasters can operate at colder temps than steel coasters can. I would love to see Adventure Express run during winterfest but I don't know if it can run in the colder weather or not. Woodstock Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster would also be interesting....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

I have trouble seeing anything other than The Bat and AE running on colder days. I voted AE just because of its family appeal and location. I think maybe Backlot could run in the cold as long as the launch is working correctly? I dunno.

I think the Arrows have the highest starting temps. Someone who actually knows the numbers can chime in. I was told 45, but that could be wrong.

• Like 2

I voted Adventure Express as it would be a fun coaster that work well for families and is great for night rides. With the new additions this off-season they could add some lighting effects for at night that would be great. 
Racer would be a nice one too as it would look great along the Coney midway during the event.

• Like 3

If backlot were to be running there would need to be track heaters added, that ride does lots of rollbacks towards the haunt season where temps are a colder. Adventure Express seems like it would be able to run, even when riding in cooler temps the ride seems to not lose much speed at all (To me). As for the wooden coasters, they all can run easily, however the ptc maintenance programs for the rides seems to be the only reason they don't run. Since mystic has millennium flyers it seems like the maintenance period for those trains are significantly shorter. DB would valley. Orion has so much speed that it would easily make it through, however even though some nights aren't that cold, some are very cold which could be a free ticket to hypothermia, so for consistency reasons it is not open. Banshee likely could make it through, (as seen via chad showalter's) it has cycled in below freezing temps with snow falling. Again, I don't know how it would be if it would be too cold for humans with the train design. The Bat seems like it could work fine, however with such a rare ride type I wouldn't risk adding more wear to it so it can last longer. Flying ace, I don't think it would be able to make it through, it goes pretty slow. Woodstock express is in the same boat as beast and racer, the ptc maintenance program is lengthy. Invertigo I have no idea, (I personally don't like that ride anyway so I wouldn't ever care if it was open). Surf Dog is always plagued with issues when operating during the normal season, I think the cold air would only make those technical issues worse.

• Like 4

For the PTCs, I wonder how easily they could work it where they run fewer trains. Would be slower but one train operations (or run just one side of racer with two trains) and then do maintenance on the other trains during this time. If they get those done, then swap them for the ones that were running and do the off season maintenance on them at that point. Capacity would be hurt, but with the lower crowds in the park during this time it might not be too bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

Adventure Express seems like it would be able to run, even when riding in cooler temps the ride seems to not lose much speed at all (To me)

I’m pretty confident that they will keep the spinning barrels open for Winterfest next season and possibly even the enterprise. With exception to Orion, all of the new attractions that the park has debuted, since Winterfest has returned, have been incorporated into the event: Mystic Timbers and the Antique Autos. 

I’m not sure what the maintenance is like on Arrow mine trains, considering you have tubular track on top of wooden supports. I like to think they could run it with Winterfest, but I’m not an expert on roller coaster maintenance.

• Like 3

I think the last coasters to run during Winterfest would be The Bat and Adventure Express because, like @IndyGuy4KI mentioned, they do have high minimum starting temperatures. I believe all of Kings Island’s Arrow coasters were closed Opening Day 2019 because it was too cold. I also believe the maintenance programs for The Beast and The Racer are what is holding those rides back. However, I could potentially see Banshee opening for the event if it can make it through its layout. It does get slower towards the end, but maybe weight can be added to the train.

• Like 1

In regards to DB and Orion running, I believe @IndyGuy4KI and I can both attest to the fact that both of those should fit squarely in the "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD" category.  We rode Millie on a mid October Sunday in 2013 after Fall Freakout, and after one ride at a reported 39 degrees.... no BS, we both checked different weather sites and both backed up 39 degrees... we headed quickly back to the car to warm up and head for home.

• Like 5

On 12/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, IBEW_Sparky said:

In regards to DB and Orion running, I believe @IndyGuy4KI and I can both attest to the fact that both of those should fit squarely in the "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD" category.  We rode Millie on a mid October Sunday in 2013 after Fall Freakout, and after one ride at a reported 39 degrees.... no BS, we both checked different weather sites and both backed up 39 degrees... we headed quickly back to the car to warm up and head for home.

That was more wind chill that I wanted to experience. Took us what 20 min to warm up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

That was more wind chill that I wanted to experience. Took us what 20 min to warm up?

Yes, at least!  I remember both of us saying "Well, we did it.  Want to go again?  NOPE!  Ready to go?  YEP!!"  :lol:  FYI, I just did the calculation and 39 degrees with a 93mph wind is a wind chill of 20.  BRRR!!!!

• Like 1

Whatever the next coaster is for us, I hope that Winterfest was considered when the park/chain was making their selection.

Moving forward, if they’re not already, I think all new rides should be installed with Winterfest and even haunt in mind-whether it’s an indoor attraction, a flat ride, or a coaster with more ride trains that can operate in cooler temperatures ,etc.

• Like 1