Kings Island’s Newest Merchandise

standbyme

6 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I hope it never goes on sale - meaning of course they never take it out! The Vortex Track was pretty cool but I was poor and couldn't justify buying it...I probably would for The Bat just because I have a real love for that coaster model. If I was a coaster activist for the preservation of one particular model it would be the Arrow Suspended Coaster. They are so unique and deliver an experience not found elsewhere. Idk if there's a way to save them in the long run but it will be very sad if one day they just aren't around anymore. I don't know why S&S hasn't brought the model back. Seeing as there's only 5 (if counting Vampire in UK which doesn't have Arrow Trains) still in operation, you would think some other parks would be interested in them and it would possibly make replacement parts more affordable and available for the existing ones.... I can see the headlines - Revenge of the Big Bad Wolf new for 2024 at Busch Gardens! 

Exactly!

With the recent wave of nostalgia-themed additions for the Cedar Fair parks (Zambezi Zinger, the ballroom at Cedar Point, Adventure Port), I wonder if other chains will follow suit. If that were to happen, perhaps a Big Bad Wolf revival could happen as a new type of suspended coaster or perhaps an S&S Axis.

EDIT: Heck, Tilt Coasters are starting to make a comeback- why not suspended coasters?

• Like 1

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed reading "Kings Island: A Ride Through Time," I immediately purchased "Kings Island: A Photographic Journey" upon hearing about it this past Sunday. 

It arrived this afternoon and was, in my opinion, well worth the money I paid for it. Even though I wasn't around for the Old Coney/Taft/KECO/Lindner years, it really transported me back to that timeframe and makes me wish I was around to see the park in its early days. As I started going to Kings Island beginning early in Paramount's ownership, around 1993 or 1994, there was a lot of nostalgia around that section of the book and a lot of good memories come to mind as I approached the Cedar Fair section. 

Anyone who has visited Kings Island or is a fan of the park needs to get this book before it's gone. 

• Like 7

There are still copies available online with the book bundle: https://www.kingsislandgear.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/limited-edition-signed-kings-island-book-bundle
Comes with the photo book and Kings Island: A Ride Through Time, and both copies are autographed by Gary Wachs and Mike Koontz!

Great if you want both, but if you just want the photo book they’re gonna have to get more printed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Got the book last night while at the park and I love it! I knew it was going to be good when my reaction to the very first picture I saw (the one of I-Street and the old Rotor) was "ohhh, so that's where it was...". I'm not even to the Paramount part yet (the part I was most anticipating because the 90's) and I am already loving all of the historical pictures! :D

• Like 4

Just finished looking at the book for the first time and the rest (Paramount/Cedar Fair era) was awesome! It was fascinating to see Flight of Fear construction photos and the amount of Italian Job early material was really cool to see. Also, Mike Koontz's Afterward was fun to read. This seems like a great setup for Kings Island: a Ride Through Time*, because now I want to know more about the theme park we all love! :D

*Still haven't read it yet, but I will be sure to start it soon...

Also, @Shaggy, do you or anyone else have other Top Gun construction pictures? Other than the one in the book (which was cool!), I have not seen many; TIA!

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Also, @Shaggy, do you or anyone else have other Top Gun construction pictures? Other than the one in the book (which was cool!), I have not seen many; TIA!

For every one image used in the book, there’s probably a dozen that didn’t get used (for a variety of reasons.). Stay tuned, you never know where they may show up someday.  Lol!

Glad you enjoyed the book, it was a labor of love.

• Like 4

I received the book for Christmas. All I can say is wow! Such a fantastic job by everyone involved in the making of it. I could not put it down! As a person who has gown up with the park, it sure brought back a ton of memories. The addition of concepts and blueprints are some of my favorite parts too! I'm so happy a book like this was finally published about my favorite park I love dearly and home away from home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am totally going to have to beg my mom to buy me a copy!!! I’m almost done with Kings Island a Ride Through Time, and the photos in there are amazing! I’m reading it on my Kindle, so the pictures are in black and white, but they still give me a great visual of a Kings Island era I didn’t get the chance to experience! The preview online looks great!

• Like 2

I haven’t been to the park since Haunt…did the park ever start selling the 50th Anniversary coin  there? (On the website it is still only sold as a bundle with other stuff I already own.)
No it isn't available in park.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I haven’t talked merch in awhile…just a couple of observations…I am surprised that the site has not had any type of clearance sale yet on some of the 50th anniversary merchandise…. I would have thought that they would have tried to clear out some of the shirts, cups & banners . I wonder if these items will still be in the gift shops when the park opens…and if so, will they still be regular price?

I am also surprised that they have still not sold out of the autographed book bundle. I know it is pricey…but I would have thought that there were easily 50 people who would have wanted it by now.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:21 PM, standbyme said:

I haven’t talked merch in awhile…just a couple of observations…I am surprised that the site has not had any type of clearance sale yet on some of the 50th anniversary merchandise…. I would have thought that they would have tried to clear out some of the shirts, cups & banners . I wonder if these items will still be in the gift shops when the park opens…and if so, will they still be regular price?

I am also surprised that they have still not sold out of the autographed book bundle. I know it is pricey…but I would have thought that there were easily 50 people who would have wanted it by now.

My guess is that aspect of the 50th will continue through 2023.

I think the reason why the book bundle didn’t sell out is because it’s not eye catching since most people who would buy the bundle already have at least Evan’s book and scroll past not knowing that it’s signed.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

So I hope everyone bought their Vortex models this year, because I bought the last one last night. Thankfully I have a project for the end of the year, it’s a small box for such a large model. (Which will pair very well with my Velocicoaster model I have in the office too)

Did anyone here actually paint their models or did you just leave them as wood? I’m planning on just keeping mine as is but would be open to it if I found some nice paint jobs. 

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

So I hope everyone bought their Vortex models this year, because I bought the last one last night. Thankfully I have a project for the end of the year, it’s a small box for such a large model. (Which will pair very well with my Velocicoaster model I have in the office too)

Did anyone here actually paint their models or did you just leave them as wood? I’m planning on just keeping mine as is but would be open to it if I found some nice paint jobs. 

I bought my Vortex model with the full intention of painting it. That was 3 years ago. It’s still wood colored. :D

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, BB1 said:

So I hope everyone bought their Vortex models this year, because I bought the last one last night. 

I had been putting off buying The Vortex set, but once you posted that you purchased the last one I checked the KIGear site and found that they still offered them and quickly got one ordered…which arrived today…I am puzzled though…this set is advertised to be limited to only 250.

Here is a photo of the box from the KIGear site:

IMG_1071.jpeg

(Notice the Limited Edition numbering.)

Here is the box that I received:

IMG_1070.jpeg

(Notice no number.) So, I am puzzled, did they sell all of the original “limited” 250 sets and now are just making more?