Winter Chill Out 2023

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

From what I can tell there was no explanation as to what closing Forbidden Frontier even means.  Is it just the characters, or is the whole island that closed?  It feels like the entire thing is closing, not sure if that means it’s being removed which suggests something is happening out there, or to reduce labor to operate the park, and it might return in some form in the future.  They installed bathrooms on the island, some interactive elements, and a big play structure.

According to some FB sites, it was mentioned during the Q & A session on Saturday the decision to close FF was lack of guest participation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

@Hawaiian Coasters 325, I don't know if its a good idea to link this video.  They do POVs which the parks prohibit, and this video has them from WindSeeker and others.

The reason I linked the video was because that is the source of my information. Without the video, I would be violating the TOS for not providing a source. However, I'll remove the video if the mods want it removed. 

4 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

According to some FB sites, it was mentioned during the Q & A session on Saturday the decision to close FF was lack of guest participation.

That's an interesting reason... although I very much enjoyed Forbidden Frontier when I went to CP in 2019 (in fact, that was one of the only reasons I went!), I heard it had mixed reviews (per Guest Services when I went to tell them how awesome it was).  I very much enjoyed the interactive element - it was what I like about Haunt, but instead of being scared, you get to socialize with the island residents and have fun. Otis, Cheeks (I think that was his name? at one point a lot of us (guests) were in some house interacting with him and it felt like Haunt lol) and Luca were pretty cool; every one of the cast members there did a fantastic job. However, I can understand if people didn't "get it".

15 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

That's an interesting reason... although I very much enjoyed Forbidden Frontier when I went to CP in 2019 (in fact, that was one of the only reasons I went!), I heard it had mixed reviews (per Guest Services when I went to tell them how awesome it was).  I very much enjoyed the interactive element - it was what I like about Haunt, but instead of being scared, you get to socialize with the island residents and have fun. Otis, Cheeks (I think that was his name? at one point a lot of us (guests) were in some house interacting with him and it felt like Haunt lol) and Luca were pretty cool; every one of the cast members there did a fantastic job. However, I can understand if people didn't "get it".

And those who didn’t “get it” either weren’t used to it or just didn’t care for LARP. If you go to a Disney or Universal park, (heck throw in Knott’s), you have a lot of characters that walk around and talk to guests. If you’re used to this kinda stuff, it doesn’t phase you but if you aren’t, it can get uncomfortable. At least with costumed characters like Snoopy, Charlie Brown, etc they don’t speak so it takes some of the awkwardness out of it. I once knew someone who got uncomfortable at the local Renaissance fair because of the LARP aspect.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

And those who didn’t “get it” either weren’t used to it or just didn’t care for LARP. If you go to a Disney or Universal park, (heck throw in Knott’s), you have a lot of characters that walk around and talk to guests. If you’re used to this kinda stuff, it doesn’t phase you but if you aren’t, it can get uncomfortable. At least with costumed characters like Snoopy, Charlie Brown, etc they don’t speak so it takes some of the awkwardness out of it. I once knew someone who got uncomfortable at the local Renaissance fair because of the LARP aspect.

I can see that. IIRC, that kind of situations did weird me out at times when I was younger. 

^^ That is an interesting take on it & I believe you are spot on.

I also question if CP advertised it accurately enough for everyone to know what it really was.  Many of the comments suggested that CP is for rides & FF really didn't "fit in".

I personally enjoyed it.  It was a nice break from standing in line & being on rides all day.

12 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

^^ That is an interesting take on it & I believe you are spot on.

I also question if CP advertised it accurately enough for everyone to know what it really was.  Many of the comments suggested that CP is for rides & FF really didn't "fit in".

I personally enjoyed it.  It was a nice break from standing in line & being on rides all day.

It’s all about how they want to market themselves. If they keep calling themselves “America’s Roller Coast” or the “Coaster Capital of the World”, people aren’t going to really care about other things. Compare that to Knott’s where they market themselves as “America’s oldest theme park” and people aren’t going to focus on the coasters as much as they would the theming, characters, etc.

• Like 1