Winterfest Closings 2022

RedSummit20

Curious to see if they will be open on monday, they would need to plow all walkways all day monday in order to have the park become walkable since the temps will stay below freezing. If they are open that day, it will be a chance to visit the park while it is snow covered! A rare sight for GP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Park closed today...

Due to water line damage in multiple locations through the park because of the extreme temperatures. I'm sure its only a matter of time before some entitled folks jump on here and somehow blame it on attendance and fault the park for being horribly managed LOL. This is probably the restrooms as most of those facilities were never designed for year-round use. Remember the first go-round of WinterFest didn't use that much of the park. Now with pretty much the entire park open, lots of facilities that may have even had the water mains turned off on are now open and in use on some very cold nights. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 6:06 AM, brenthodge said:

The thing to keep in mind is there are some selfish, juvenile folks like “super7” that dont get that there is ANYONE ELSE other themselves that factors into deciding anything. I’d hate to see how self centered they were about anything REALLY important instead of something as fairly trivial as when a theme park closes. I’m thankful the team was able to provide what they could Thursday. I’m impressed the park clearly communicated expectations well in advance of closing, and I’m impressed they seemed genuinely concerned about their staff. The park management seems to get the big picture WAY more than sone folks around here. 

Apparently you are ann immature name caller  and cannot read  on top of that.  I have said repeatedly that they can close, but the fact that they decide to close after they open the gates is nothing but a cost cutting measure and has nothing to do with employee safety.  They had the weather information well in time to close before the gates open and keep employees safe at home

7 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Oh the Children's Museum! I remember going there when I was little! Fun Fact: both KI and the Indy Children's Museum have historic carousels that were relocated from another local park. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, super7 said:

Apparently you are ann immature name caller  and cannot read  on top of that.  I have said repeatedly that they can close, but the fact that they decide to close after they open the gates is nothing but a cost cutting measure and has nothing to do with employee safety.  They had the weather information well in time to close before the gates open and keep employees safe at home

They announced the closure BEFORE they opened the gates, so it seems YOU are the one that cannot read, as their post went public at 3:30. Well in advance of a 5 pm open. Were you privy to any conversation that might have occurred between shift supervisors and staff in advance of that public announcement to assess who could safely or not safely come in and stay until the posted closing time? You clearly want to be so right on this, but you aren’t. Yes-costs to remain open past 8 were I’m sure weighed against anticipated revenue. But there were I’m sure many factors that were considered as well such as safety concerns AND public perception of staying open as many other businesses closed early. As for the name calling, I’m simply basing my opinion on your on going rant that is incorrect, and seems fully motivated by your own need to be right and get what you want-a park that never closes once it is open- circumstances be darned. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What decision the park made is not going to please everyone. Just like your local schools closing for weather. Some are going to be glad some sad/angry.

If you are upset about the park closing early you are free to voice your opinion on KIC and most definitely voice your opinion to the park. (KIC does not set any KI policies.) We do ask that you do it respectfully. Also keep in mind that other KIC members may not agree with you and will share their opinions as well.

It is fine to have feelings, but please don't name call or put others down. We are here for the camaraderie of enjoying our hobby and park, Kings Island. 

• Like 1

Weather is a touchy subject. There are people who are disappointed when the park closes at unscheduled times- which could affect their plans. On the other hand, there’s people who are upset if the park stays open because they feel for the employees who have to work the event. 

Kings Island has to do what they think is best for their guests and employees. Cold weather is different from rain. Storms can be here and gone in a few hours…the same can’t be said for freezing weather. If the park had the mindset of “these people paid, so we should stay open.” they could face potential lawsuits if they can’t ensure safe conditions for their guests and associates. I’m sure they’d rather refund for freezing weather and have their associates stay home over risking their guest’s/employees’ safety. 

Even though people are spending the money, the park has the final say in how they chose to operate. Foresight needs to be put into play at times as well: if the temperature is in, or around, the single digits, it’s probably not a wise decision to make plans to go to an outdoor event in the first place.

• Like 3

Looking at the webcams this morning, the park looks like one of my beehives in May!

As much as I would like to climb Mystic Timbers, I would not want to be one of those employees shoveling snow from the track.  The next time I am complaining about my job, I will think about them.  Snow shoveling a roller coaster has to suck.

So for the detractor(s) who complain about KI/CF cheaping out on labour by closing early...think about all the extra labor they are having to pay out to get the park ready for tonight.  They easily could have waited until tomorrow, when snow all over the park would likely have melted.  They could have waited and not paid overtime rates for park plumbers and (likely) contractors, who charge a premium.

To everyone else who is going tonight...enjoy the magic of Winterfest with what snow is left blanketing the park.  That is a rare sight and not to be missed!

• Like 5

It is absolutely beyond me how anyone can claim the the park is doing something as a cost-cutting measure especially after this past year.  So many things done that didn't have to be done.  Grand Carousel refurbishment, Re-track of The Beast, re-track and re-paint of Racer (which they seem to be finishing the re-tracking on this off season), the quality and diversity of food offerings not to forget an absolutely fantastic set of shows including one which (in my opinion) is the greatest show ever in the history of the park (especially considering it was original and specific to an IP of the park) and the fabulous Fun, Fireworks and 50.  Seems like if they wanted to cut costs they wouldn't have done that show every night (weather permitting).  Not to mention the imporvements they continued to make to it even after the first night.  Oh, and there is also the nightly closure to Haunt which in my opinion is over and above.

The job the management and employees have done top-to-bottom this year has been oustanding and I do everything I can to thank employees for working when I enteract with them or see the maintenance crews walking around or the "top brass" when I'm in the park.  

As for closing early, they did announce it ahead of time and I would rather have 3 hours in the park than none at all.  The bad weather didn't come till an hour and a half after the park closed.  I think management did the right thing.

These things are the reason KI is my favorite park.  It has that small-hometown feel that you just don't get at the larger theme parks.  Most of that is because of people (some of them on this board) who care and take a great interest in the growth and development of the park.  If you think for one minute that the upper managment at KI is only concerned with money then you haven't been paying attention very much.  Our park is run very well and has been for a while.  We are lucky and if you don't think so just look at the mess the House of Mouse is going through with constantly raising ticket prices, changing pass structures and upper management shake-ups.

That being said I will admit the "Prestige Pass" is a miss in my opinion and could be construed as a money grab.  I think they will see the error and learn from this in time.  In the past they have done the opposite such as being the first park to extend season passes to the next year during COVID.  Personally I don't need a "Prestige Pass" to feel entitled because I already have that feeling by having KI so close to my home.  It's the interactions with employees, people on this board and freinds I have made at the park that are priceless.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Looking at the webcams this morning, the park looks like one of my beehives in May!

As much as I would like to climb Mystic Timbers, I would not want to be one of those employees shoveling snow from the track.  The next time I am complaining about my job, I will think about them.  Snow shoveling a roller coaster has to suck.

So for the detractor(s) who complain about KI/CF cheaping out on labour by closing early...think about all the extra labor they are having to pay out to get the park ready for tonight.  They easily could have waited until tomorrow, when snow all over the park would likely have melted.  They could have waited and not paid overtime rates for park plumbers and (likely) contractors, who charge a premium.

To everyone else who is going tonight...enjoy the magic of Winterfest with what snow is left blanketing the park.  That is a rare sight and not to be missed!

Couldn't agree more.  I've been watching the cams often this morning as well.  Knowing they have to shovel Mystic it's no wonder why The Racer or Beast isn't open during Winterfest :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

I shudder at the thought of how many crew members it would take to clear Beast in a feasible amount of time. Might need the National Guard!

Obviously, we need snow plows on the front of coaster trains.   

Now I want to see a train just plow through snow covered track, I'll settle for a stall, but just to see the snow explode off the track. B) 

• Like 3

On 12/27/2022 at 11:43 AM, robintodd said:

It is absolutely beyond me how anyone can claim the the park is doing something as a cost-cutting measure especially after this past year.  So many things done that didn't have to be done.  Grand Carousel refurbishment, Re-track of The Beast, re-track and re-paint of Racer (which they seem to be finishing the re-tracking on this off season), the quality and diversity of food offerings not to forget an absolutely fantastic set of shows including one which (in my opinion) is the greatest show ever in the history of the park (especially considering it was original and specific to an IP of the park) and the fabulous Fun, Fireworks and 50.  Seems like if they wanted to cut costs they wouldn't have done that show every night (weather permitting).  Not to mention the imporvements they continued to make to it even after the first night.  Oh, and there is also the nightly closure to Haunt which in my opinion is over and above.

The job the management and employees have done top-to-bottom this year has been oustanding and I do everything I can to thank employees for working when I enteract with them or see the maintenance crews walking around or the "top brass" when I'm in the park.  

As for closing early, they did announce it ahead of time and I would rather have 3 hours in the park than none at all.  The bad weather didn't come till an hour and a half after the park closed.  I think management did the right thing.

These things are the reason KI is my favorite park.  It has that small-hometown feel that you just don't get at the larger theme parks.  Most of that is because of people (some of them on this board) who care and take a great interest in the growth and development of the park.  If you think for one minute that the upper managment at KI is only concerned with money then you haven't been paying attention very much.  Our park is run very well and has been for a while.  We are lucky and if you don't think so just look at the mess the House of Mouse is going through with constantly raising ticket prices, changing pass structures and upper management shake-ups.

That being said I will admit the "Prestige Pass" is a miss in my opinion and could be construed as a money grab.  I think they will see the error and learn from this in time.  In the past they have done the opposite such as being the first park to extend season passes to the next year during COVID.  Personally I don't need a "Prestige Pass" to feel entitled because I already have that feeling by having KI so close to my home.  It's the interactions with employees, people on this board and freinds I have made at the park that are priceless.

While the painting and improvements are nice and necessary, they are rather low budget items compared to actual attraction installation.  

Please advise why you think they close the park and send employees home on a slightly rainy day  with low attendance.  Cost cutting is the only logical answer.  

On 12/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, brenthodge said:

They announced the closure BEFORE they opened the gates, so it seems YOU are the one that cannot read, as their post went public at 3:30. Well in advance of a 5 pm open. Were you privy to any conversation that might have occurred between shift supervisors and staff in advance of that public announcement to assess who could safely or not safely come in and stay until the posted closing time? You clearly want to be so right on this, but you aren’t. Yes-costs to remain open past 8 were I’m sure weighed against anticipated revenue. But there were I’m sure many factors that were considered as well such as safety concerns AND public perception of staying open as many other businesses closed early. As for the name calling, I’m simply basing my opinion on your on going rant that is incorrect, and seems fully motivated by your own need to be right and get what you want-a park that never closes once it is open- circumstances be darned. 

An announcement 2 hours before gate opening is not sufficient for some people that are traveling and on the road.  I am assuming you are a local  that doesn’t travel far to get there since you don’t care about those that do. 

Also Opening the gates for just three hours is poor business. Nobody is going to show up for a three hour event from 5 to 8 on a weekday.      They would’ve been better off just to have closed it and announced early enough for people not to start out.    They had already canceled Friday so they are capable of doing that. 

I have been burnt by Cedar Fair ghost closings several times after traveling the distance to get to the park. The worst example was Carowinds in 2019. It was a November day. That was 50° and no rain but they closed the whole park at 3 o’clock because of attendance When 8 o’clock was the schedule closing time.  

It wasn’t that long ago that theme park advertise times were exactly the times they would be open.    But as theme parks depend more and more on their cheap season, pass sales, They can get away with this because people are still going to keep buying the cheap season passes

On 1/4/2023 at 8:21 PM, super7 said:

An announcement 2 hours before gate opening is not sufficient for some people that are traveling and on the road.  I am assuming you are a local  that doesn’t travel far to get there since you don’t care about those that do. 

Also Opening the gates for just three hours is poor business. Nobody is going to show up for a three hour event from 5 to 8 on a weekday.      They would’ve been better off just to have closed it and announced early enough for people not to start out.    They had already canceled Friday so they are capable of doing that. 

I have been burnt by Cedar Fair ghost closings several times after traveling the distance to get to the park. The worst example was Carowinds in 2019. It was a November day. That was 50° and no rain but they closed the whole park at 3 o’clock because of attendance When 8 o’clock was the schedule closing time.  

It wasn’t that long ago that theme park advertise times were exactly the times they would be open.    But as theme parks depend more and more on their cheap season, pass sales, They can get away with this because people are still going to keep buying the cheap season passes

If weather is questionable why would you even start to drive over 2 hours to a place that may close based on weather conditions? The park is a business that has to make money, so yes, if weather is bad, Or PREDICTED to be bad and it negatively impacts the cash flow attendance, the why wouldn’t they look for ways to reduce overhead including closing a park that is operating way below a profit margin? As for staying closed on Thursday, the forecast shifts you know?? Weather is this crazy thing that changes. I’m sure they originally planned on being open the full time Thursday as the forecast had rain/snow starting later. As that shifted through the day, they adapted. I respect that they tried to give the public and their staff a little bit of both payroll and pleasure. Not everything is as black and white as you want it to be. Sounds like you maybe just need to stop going to CedarFair parks because you’ve been burned so many times before and are do poorly treated by them. 

On 1/4/2023 at 8:17 PM, super7 said:

While the painting and improvements are nice and necessary, they are rather low budget items compared to actual attraction installation.  

Please advise why you think they close the park and send employees home on a slightly rainy day  with low attendance.  Cost cutting is the only logical answer.  

No one said cost cutting WASNT a factor. You are so determined to make your silly point that you fail to see that people are “slightly” agreeing with you. But unlike you, others can see the big picture including how making decisions driven by cost savings allow the park to continue to invest more into the experience.

• Like 4

Kings Island specifically said they were closing early on the 22nd because of the winter storm. I live really close to Kings Island and the storm started around 8:30~9:00pm. Granted it started out as rain but the temperature dropped pretty fast and rain became snow.

Kings Island closing early was done from a safety standpoint and not from a business standpoint. Assuming Kings Island stayed open 'till 10pm would mean that people would be having to exit the park and the parking lot in poor and potentially slick conditions. Winter weather impact is a whole different animal from summer weather impact. Heck, there's even been times during the regular season in the middle of the summer where KI closed early because of an approaching severe storm. The park staying open 'till 10pm would have just plainly been unsafe for both visitors AND KI personnel. Keep in mind, lots of KI personnel don't actually leave the park right when it closes. A good chunk of employees leave around 11pm after shutting things down and security sweeps are done. They would be driving home in very hazardous road conditions if KI closed at 10pm. Kings Island made the right call by closing early. Period.

Lastly, to argue that Kings Island closed early because of business reasons, such as cutting costs, is wrong. Sure, you could make the argument that they could save money by closing earlier or say that they weren't going to make much money staying open at the beginning of the winter storm or whatever. Kings Island pulls millions of guests every year and with that millions of dollars in revenue. And considering this on top of how much Cedar Fair has invested into the park, to argue that they wanted to "cut costs" is crazy. 

• Like 6