Jump to content

Camp Cedar No Longer Listed On KI’s Website


SonofBaconator
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Speaking of that, does anyone (on here :P) know why that sign is still up when the hotel has been gone for years? ? I like seeing the sign, but was wondering why it’s still there after all these years. Perhaps there were plans to build a new hotel using that name, but plans fell through?

I'm not sure of Mason/Deerefield rules, but many municipalities have strict rules about new signage.  But old signs are grandfathered in.  So even if a new "thing" goes in, they can reuse the structure and erect a new sign as long as the area does not exceed the old sign.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

There is some room to build a KI resort with all the empty land by Soak City, but I wonder how much of it is owned by Cedar Fair? 

The grassy field near Western Row Rd and KI drive?  I think that would be an excellent spot for a hotel, like the Hilton that Carowinds built.  The waterpark could be a good draw, but otherwise I think it would be less of a resort and more of a typical hotel with light park theming (like Express hotel at CP).

 

I think KI as a resort sailed away years and years ago.  The area does not have a resort draw and has become urbanized and saccharine since the early 1990s.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm not sure of Mason/Deerefield rules, but many municipalities have strict rules about new signage.  But old signs are grandfathered in.  So even if a new "thing" goes in, they can reuse the structure and erect a new sign as long as the area does not exceed the old sign.

That was a factor when building the new park marquee. The original one that was destroyed by a storm in 2003 was used as grounds to build the new marquee at the same height, instead of the newer, much lower restriction.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cedar Fair owns a little over 640 acres (could be 670, it's somewhere in that regard) of land in regards to Kings Island @Imperial79

They have a LOT of space out back that is unused, don't know if it'll ever be used there's not much resale value with access to the area but we could certainly see expansions going back behind Orion in the far future? There's still stuff in-ward that needs redo so doubt we'll ever see that back area used for areas other than rides.

https://www.acrevalue.com/plat-map/OH/?lat=39.344644&lng=-84.263436&zoom=14#!

image.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because I like water features, I always wished the park went up to the Little Miami River.  Not sure how much of the houses you would see on the other side, guess it depends on how high is the ride.  But I envisioned something like ziplines, walking trails, maybe even horse rides.  I know it's silliness for CF parks but I would like it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, rlentless said:

Because I like water features, I always wished the park went up to the Little Miami River.  Not sure how much of the houses you would see on the other side, guess it depends on how high is the ride.  But I envisioned something like ziplines, walking trails, maybe even horse rides.  I know it's silliness for CF parks but I would like it.

They used to have a walking trail by The Beast many years ago. Also, the pathway from the leftover part of Dinos Alive that wasn't used by Orion is still there. Maybe if they want to, they can do something like Forbidden Frontier back there. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, teenageninja said:

Even the helix for The Beast is in a pretty big ravine. 

This past Coasterstock made me aware of how much of an incline it is back there. 

Never realized how much of a pain it is to walk down there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2023 at 12:26 AM, gforce1994 said:

If you look at Google’s listing of reviews, many claimed the resort was dirty and not at the quality they expected. 

The vast majority of them give it a positive review. I have stayed there around 6 times…I can agree that they are still trying to get some issues worked out…but I have never had anything even remotely dirty. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, standbyme said:

The vast majority of them give it a positive review. I have stayed there around 6 times…I can agree that they are still trying to get some issues worked out…but I have never had anything even remotely dirty. 

ACF51FA9-B736-4342-8372-2A5F5AB8CD1D.jpegWhile a majority of the ratings is above 3 stars, it’s bad when the number of 1 star reviews approach the number of 5 star reviews.

When you look at the reviews for the other CF hotels/campsites, it is clear that Camp Cedar fell way below expectations.79FFAC7F-E9D7-4C61-A6C8-5E528785C9B3.jpegDC2E9E22-3091-4749-B9EA-54C78AD0925A.jpeg194A8B4A-EACA-437A-879B-72AF5B703FCD.jpeg789B893F-0EBB-46C1-B12E-A0149630D329.jpeg8518A078-A09C-4F9C-B3A6-188C4940A92D.jpegE5D00D0A-E39F-4573-87AC-BAEAB8A4D6D5.jpeg94FF47E2-1024-416C-B5C5-F539898BBD36.jpeg9AAC4B46-D1EC-4252-906B-CFF653B02055.jpeg

1F2B4A5C-C6E7-4BBC-8C80-A013DADAB18E.jpeg

61D99304-7CBC-4D21-B470-07E9DE8B8695.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

The grassy field near Western Row Rd and KI drive?  I think that would be an excellent spot for a hotel, like the Hilton that Carowinds built.  The waterpark could be a good draw, but otherwise I think it would be less of a resort and more of a typical hotel with light park theming (like Express hotel at CP).

 

I think KI as a resort sailed away years and years ago.  The area does not have a resort draw and has become urbanized and saccharine since the early 1990s.

Yes, I could see them building a hotel here too, this is a great location, and like you said what they did at Carowinds. Maybe in a few years we can see Cedar Fair look into it, since the one at Canadas Wonderland fell through. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, standbyme said:

I was on Craigslist…Camp Cedar has begun renting the cottages on a monthly basis during this slow period! They have also changed their policy that pets are now allowed in them…which doesn’t honestly thrill me.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sub/d/kings-mills-short-term-tiny-home-rentals/7574764449.html

This kind of seems desperate.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@gforce1994 Yes I agree, that many 1 Star ratings does not look good…but I would venture to say that a lot of them are from when they first opened. The whole COVID situation put them behind schedule….things weren’t ready…they cancelled reservations, and even when they opened everything still wasn’t ready…I remember they were getting severe hate! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, standbyme said:

@gforce1994 Yes I agree, that many 1 Star ratings does not look good…but I would venture to say that a lot of them are from when they first opened. The whole COVID situation put them behind schedule….things weren’t ready…they cancelled reservations, and even when they opened everything still wasn’t ready…I remember they were getting severe hate! 

They’ve constantly gotten one star reviews. It’s the same story of management not being responsive to guest needs.4D48F9CA-5C2E-4A7A-99C0-9E2B05AA4A33.jpeg645DC56C-8FC9-43B3-8718-C1A30E0F0D1E.jpegD2C20AA0-6757-4203-AB6B-C6BC00A8B858.jpeg7FE3441D-B41C-40B0-9996-344354109103.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the great thing about reviews....everyone has an opinion...just not all carry equal weight LOL.  Some people are negative all the time.  Some of the reviews might be fake.  Some people are happy regardless of the hand dealt to them.  Then you have to read all these and decide for yourself.

If I went by the reviews of KI, I would never go LOL...

image.png

 

image.png

 

image.png

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notice how there are two types of people who typically write reviews: people who have had a very good experience, and those who have had a very bad experience.

I guess there are also a few “I rate everything” people. 
 

That’s why 45% of reviews are glowing, 45% are horrid, and 10% are more self-indulgent reviews that don’t tell you much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lots of bad reviews IMO from when the opening was delayed and people had reservations that could not be had. So I wouldn't give much thought to the reviews. My favorite one was the complaint of a stink bug in the cabin. you are in the midwest, in the late summer/early fall i have stink bugs all over the screens on my house . So yes you do have to get them out, but I can't see I would complain about a single stink bug. I never had a problem at camp cedar. just a little disappointed the bar/food stands by the pool were not open on the week we stayed. But it would not prevent me from visiting this suimmer. most of our time is spent in the park anyway and with the meal plan / refig in the cabin it was just a minor inconvenience.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...