2023 General Kings Island Discussion

BeeastFarmer

5 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I’ve always wondered what was in the room above the two platforms. There’s a couple AC units up there, which as a child I always liked to imagine that was the park’s “weather office” where the calls to close rides for lightning came from. I’m sure it’s just cell and communications equipment.

Im pretty sure the stairs go up to the motors that are above the elevators for ease of access for maintanace. But if for some reason they needed to get to the antenna on the very top, to my knowledge, they have to climb out from the cage around the 275 level and climb up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rlentless said:

This is a "Happy Day" when you see the Calendar showing daily operations.

image.png

I’m curious how the park plans on completing painting Diamondback now that officially the regular season has begun. Unless they close it during the regular operating hours I have little faith it will be completed till the regular season is over.

Edited by Tr0y
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, cedarpoint2000 said:

Hi all.

Long time reader here, but I finally got around to making an account…

I noticed these Outpost Five signs in the station for Mystic Timbers yesterday. Are these new for this year or have they always been there?

F1E278E2-6D10-4C40-992B-06E67828570D.jpeg

They have been there for the last few years at least. They're just easter eggs and don't mean much

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cedarpoint2000 said:

Hi all.

Long time reader here, but I finally got around to making an account…

I noticed these Outpost Five signs in the station for Mystic Timbers yesterday. Are these new for this year or have they always been there?

F1E278E2-6D10-4C40-992B-06E67828570D.jpeg

Looking through my old photos, those signs were there since at least 2019.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I’m curious how the park plans on completing painting Diamondback now that officially the regular season has begun. Unless they close it during the regular operating hours I have little faith it will be completed till the regular season is over.

@BoddaH1994 said the repainting of Diamondback would resume in August when Kings Island is closed during the week.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

Looking through my old photos, those signs were there since at least 2019.

I finally found the picture of the layout of those in the Flight of Fear Exit.

I have found and taken pictures of the one at Adventure Express, Beast, Mystic Timbers, Flight of Fear and need to only find the last 2.

It appears they are on Banshee and Bat and still looking for them.

If anyone has found those let me know as my adventure continues......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

That wouldn’t have gone over well. 

True, but there was plenty of weekends they could’ve left it closed to get it finished for opening day. Remember they started painting Diamondback in FEBRUARY! February 23rd to be exact. Mako which is a near peer coaster at Seaworld closed in April for general maintenance and it got an entire fresh coat of paint. It reopened as of yesterday, May 18th. With all the other projects not being completed for opening day. Dare I say this may be the worst opening in KI history during the CF era?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tr0y said:

True, but there was plenty of weekends they could’ve left it closed to get it finished for opening day. Remember they started painting Diamondback in FEBRUARY! February 23rd to be exact. Mako which is a near peer coaster at Seaworld closed in April for general maintenance and it got an entire fresh coat of paint. It reopened as of yesterday, May 18th. With all the other projects not being completed for opening day. Dare I say this may be the worst opening in KI history during the CF era?

All that over a little paint, huh? :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

All that over a little paint, huh? :lol:

I guess I could have been more specific when it came to this being the worst opening at KI in the CF era. What I meant was the combination of things not being opened for opening day, or for the opening of the regular season. Adventure Port is still not ready, technically the VIP lounge, The Bat and Delirium were not ready on opening day. Drop Tower is still closed. Let’s not forget the bait and switch tactic the park used on people with the VIP lounge. I might sound pessimistic but I’m truly passionate for Kings Island, it’s a great park but with that being said, it’s too good of a park to be so behind and late on things. Especially being a SEASONAL park.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:02 AM, Tr0y said:

Fla weather is a little different than Ohio in February (...and March...and April).  You will need it to be above 50 degrees IIRC to paint steel if you want it to last 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Old_Bearcat said:

Fla weather is a little different than Ohio in February (...and March...and April).  You will need it to be above 50 degrees IIRC to paint steel if you want it to last 

Will be is not the same as maybe. 

39D5AE4F-54CE-42AB-9C9E-81BB9665F91C.jpeg

On 5/19/2023 at 8:01 AM, mikejenkins1 said:

I finally found the picture of the layout of those in the Flight of Fear Exit.

I have found and taken pictures of the one at Adventure Express, Beast, Mystic Timbers, Flight of Fear and need to only find the last 2.

It appears they are on Banshee and Bat and still looking for them.

If anyone has found those let me know as my adventure continues......

I am still looking for the final 2.

I think in Action Zone and appears from map Banshee and maybe Bat.

Anyone else seen the circular markers?

https://jobs.cedarfair.com/kings-island/jobs/18191?lang=en-us

This is really good for Kings Island. There is currently a waitlist to apply for a seasonal job as all seasonal positions have been filled as of now. This also means that there is no reason for staffing to be bad this year around the park or Soak City once all the local schools are out for the summer.

• Like 5

Just gotta say I was able to visit the park on Friday for my first time this year.  Obviously I missed the opening of a couple rides this weekend.  Got to see Drop Tower start new cycles late in day.

But I really love all the updates done so far.  The park looks great and I lover the atmosphere.  Cannot wait until everything opens up and the remaining theming is complete . . referring to Adventure Port.  But just all areas of the park look great.  Had the Pub Burger at the Brewhouse and it was very good.  Stayed away from Grain and Grill until those issues iron out from comments here on KIC.  But love the new updated street front of that building.

I know some may disagree but I think the next theming upgrade should be the kids area.  Starting to look a little dated . . just my opinion.  I do not have small kids anymore so great stake on my part.  We mostly go there because my wife likes buying all things Snoopy in the Boutique over there.  I want to support the park in buying food and merchandise.

Love my home park.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, rlentless said:

Just gotta say I was able to visit the park on Friday for my first time this year.  Obviously I missed the opening of a couple rides this weekend.  Got to see Drop Tower start new cycles late in day.

But I really love all the updates done so far.  The park looks great and I lover the atmosphere.  Cannot wait until everything opens up and the remaining theming is complete . . referring to Adventure Port.  But just all areas of the park look great.  Had the Pub Burger at the Brewhouse and it was very good.  Stayed away from Grain and Grill until those issues iron out from comments here on KIC.  But love the new updated street front of that building.

I know some may disagree but I think the next theming upgrade should be the kids area.  Starting to look a little dated . . just my opinion.  I do not have small kids anymore so great stake on my part.  We mostly go there because my wife likes buying all things Snoopy in the Boutique over there.  I want to support the park in buying food and merchandise.

Love my home park.

Where I do think/hope the next theming upgrade is the area I'm sure it will be the same theme.  Of course this would fall in line with an old Phantom coming back as well. ;)

• Like 1

I saw this on Twitter. Not a fan at all of ads like this, especially on a ride in a place where I believe a themed poster used to be. I always preferred Cedar Fair’s method of advertising on the FunTV’s instead of physical props and posters around the park. I guess this is what needs to happen to bring in advertising dollars when half the FunTV’s are not maintained and do not work.

Speaking of things not working, Mystic Timbers’ theming is in a sorry state. One of the TV’s in the queue showing the video cameras is out. Additionally, a lot of the shed effects are broken, and most of the flickering shed lights are not on. Also, I have not heard the audio spiel on the stairs leading into the station in over a year.

Moving over to Area 72, the audio on the Werd Radio car is broken. Also, I feel as if the soundtrack in the area as a whole needs to be turned up as it is kind of hard to hear. Also, I do not get why the gate leading into the pre-show building on Orion is closed half the time. I get that it may be guests that are flipping the gate, but it should not be that easy for guests to do. I unfortunately did not check to see if the lights that had been broken in the meteor had been fixed or if the soundtrack was playing in Orion’s station. On a positive note. I do like that the Bud Light Seltzer stand has been reskinned to fit the theme of the area better.

Please know that these complaints are not meant to bash Kings Island but to bring awareness to areas that I know Kings Island can do better in. I love the attention to theming around the park, but theming is really only effective and valuable when it is working properly. Kings Island has restored broken theming and effects like with the Adventure Express overhaul and brining back the Festhaus glockenspiel, so there is no reason why these effects that worked just a couple of years ago cannot be restored. I just want Kings Island to be the best park that it can be.

• Like 4

Oh, wow. I really hate that ad. It feels very “six flags”. I’ve never been a fan of advertising in theme parks at all, but I get why it’s important. When I visit a park, it’s like an escape from reality, and I feel like being shown ads really takes away from that.

• Like 2

Also something I noticed is the park is really advertising Spirit Song this year. Today I went into the restrooms near Sally's Seaplane in Planet Snoopy and they had a giant Spirit Song poster where they usually advertise season passes. They also have been playing a Spirit Song slide on the FunTV's. I find this interesting as I don't think I remember them advertising it this much in past years when they had it. All I remember is a post here and there on KI's social medias talking about it and most of the advertising had been on Spirit Song's social media pages as SS is put on by an outside promoter who also puts on the Winterjam tour over the winter. 

• Like 2