2023 General Kings Island Discussion

BeeastFarmer

11 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

Curious, what is the typical training session? I like to watch the trainings with the webcams but I never really know what's going on.

Been a while, but most of the Area Managers are trained ahead of time.  They train the Supervisors as well as the Certified Trainers.  The Certified Trainers and Supervisors re-train the returning crew and then they start training new employees.  They generally train as a group, then they test individually on each position.

Most new employees are limited at first, so you won't see a brand new employee sitting in the drivers booth for a coaster or even on their own flat ride.  You have to earn the trust of the Supervisors first.

It's pretty hectic especially with a lot of new employees.

• Like 1

So I went to Friends and Family preview night and here's some things I'll mention:

1) Adventure Port is looking great so far. It is colored concrete while not pavers it looks better than the regular white concrete the area had before. There are pavers in a circle though where a giant fountain looking planter is in the center of it.

2) The VIP area was moved to the area next to the entrance to Viking Fury where the bar was. My friend and I think that is a temporary spot for now as over by the restrooms across from Enriques where the grass area was, there is currently a building going up where a wooden roof was being installed. My friend and I think that is where the VIP lounge could move to as it would have a nice viewing area of the parade and could be controlled climate which would help for like Winterfest and very hot days. It could just be a new stand though we'll just have to wait and see.

3) Grain and Grill is looking pretty good. Not sure if it is ready to open this weekend though.

4) They got the soundtrack playing in the Orion station again! 

5) The most disappointing thing was that they are still playing the jazz from last year on I-street. Not gonna lie, I liked the jazz for the 50th last year, but I was really hoping they were going to go back to the old style classical music that they played pre 2020 as it really works well with the grand first impression of seeing the tower after entering the gate. 

Also it was great to run into @DonHelbig and chat for a bit. Really looking forward to Coasterstock this year!

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

5) The most disappointing thing was that they are still playing the jazz from last year on I-street. Not gonna lie, I liked the jazz for the 50th last year, but I was really hoping they were going to go back to the old style classical music that they played pre 2020 as it really works well with the grand first impression of seeing the tower after entering the gate. 

Everything you wrote is great but this....WHY!!! I hope this is temporary. We had fine, mostly theme-appropriate music on International Street 2017-19. And Kings Dominion currently plays a wonderful loop on theirs. I struggle to understand why we cannot go back to what we had '17 through '19, or what Kings Dominion currently has. The jazz music would be great if it was New Orleans Square, which it's not. It's International Street. 

• Like 7

I was at employee preview night also. The park looks great. The operations were a bit of a mess. Thousands of people in the park and the only two operating rides were Antique Autos (45+ minute wait) and Dodgems. Orion opened for about half an hour and then went down. Diamondback made it for about 20 minutes and then never reopened. Mystic Timbers didn’t even open. Those were the only three coasters scheduled. Boo Blasters was supposed to be open but it was down as well. Can’t really complain because the tickets were free but there were a lot of disappointed friends and family. 

Hopefully things will pull together in a couple days. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snowball said:

Controversial opinion (Apparently?), but I love the jazz on international street. I think it fits the vibe pretty well.

Everyone has different opinions and I respect them. I liked the jazz at first especially for the 50th last season where the whole season was about celebrating and Jazz has historically been used with celebrations. However, I just feel like the old style classical music fit better with International street. Part of me hopes it was just temporary and they aren't done with the 2023 playlist yet like last year with Planet Snoopy where they added a new playlist mid season. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Everyone has different opinions and I respect them. I liked the jazz at first especially for the 50th last season where the whole season was about celebrating and Jazz has historically been used with celebrations. However, I just feel like the old style classical music fit better with International street. Part of me hopes it was just temporary and they aren't done with the 2023 playlist yet like last year with Planet Snoopy where they added a new playlist mid season. 

Yes!

The jazz was odd , but it really grew on me as the season went on. But International Street really needs to reflect the theme of the land.

However...I wouldn't mind a switch to peaceful music as the night settles in if it a deterrent to the fighting.  It would be antithetical to fight with Native American flute for example. 

52 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Controversial opinion (Apparently?), but I love the jazz on international street. I think it fits the vibe pretty well.

I agree, It's much more energetic and is more lively, it's fun to walk with the beat and just makes me feel comfortable in the park. I do understand the appeal of the old tracks though. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Wrong. I rode Mystic Timbers tonight. It was later in the event though. They actually kept the event going until 8:30. 

I concur. Mystic reopened around 7:30.

16 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Yes!

The jazz was odd , but it really grew on me as the season went on. But International Street really needs to reflect the theme of the land.

However...I wouldn't mind a switch to peaceful music as the night settles in if it a deterrent to the fighting.  It would be antithetical to fight with Native American flute for example. 

I don’t hate the jazz, but I would rather see the grand classical music of the past. I am glad they no longer do the symphony versions of pop songs because once you figure out what song it is you can’t un-hear it, and I am VERY glad that they got ride of the cringe pop music that we were stuck with for a decade.

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So I went to Friends and Family preview night and here's some things I'll mention:

1) Adventure Port is looking great so far. It is colored concrete while not pavers it looks better than the regular white concrete the area had before. There are pavers in a circle though where a giant fountain looking planter is in the center of it.

GOSH I hope it’s an actual fountain and not a “fountain looking planter” like you described! All of the other parks have tons of cool water features around the property, and while we do have the ultimate fountain, it’s pretty much the only one left on property. If it’s a planter it’ll be a huge disappointment, but if it’s a fountain it’ll be one of the neatest touches of Adventure Port. Area looks promising, for what it is, though. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Wrong. I rode Mystic Timbers tonight. It was later in the event though. They actually kept the event going until 8:30. 

Oh. Congratulations and good for you! Im so very happy one of three coasters that was scheduled to open at 6 finally opened at 7:30. Well done Kings Island and a huge win for you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I don’t hate the jazz, but I would rather see the grand classical music of the past. I am glad they no longer do the symphony versions of pop songs because once you figure out what song it is you can’t un-hear it, and I am VERY glad that they got ride of the cringe pop music that we were stuck with for a decade.

I am so glad pop music is gone from International Street

And so glad the instrumental pop is gone.  That was terrible, but I enjoy the Rivertown version :)

iD love to have each section of international street to have themed music from the country the building represents .

Mr. Koontz, thank you for the leadership of the park. But if you could consider this issue, I'd be obliged. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

2) The VIP area was moved to the area next to the entrance to Viking Fury where the bar was. My friend and I think that is a temporary spot for now as over by the restrooms across from Enriques where the grass area was, there is currently a building going up where a wooden roof was being installed. My friend and I think that is where the VIP lounge could move to as it would have a nice viewing area of the parade and could be controlled climate which would help for like Winterfest and very hot days. It could just be a new stand though we'll just have to wait and see.

3) Grain and Grill is looking pretty good. Not sure if it is ready to open this weekend though.

4) They got the soundtrack playing in the Orion station again! 

Also it was great to run into @DonHelbig and chat for a bit. Really looking forward to Coasterstock this year!

I hope it’s a regular fountain too, Worlds of Fun added a new fountain, looks like this but ours is bigger, and it’s a regular water fountain, so this gives me hope ours is as well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Just some FYI. I asked @DonHelbig on twitter if Grain and Grill will be open. He said Grain & Grill will not open this weekend, but soon.

So far all of the Grand Carnivale parks have posted their dates except Kings Island. Carowinds, Kings Dominion and Valleyfair are June 24-July 9. Worlds of Fun is July 22-August 6. California's Great America (as Carnivale at Orleans Place) is July 19-August 6.

Assuming there are two sets of floats the dates for Kings Island will likely be July 22-August 6.

• Like 2