New Coaster 2024?

Allen Greene

On 1/19/2023 at 9:29 PM, Allen Greene said:

I’d love to know your thoughts on the next coaster coming to Kings Island!  2024???

KI really needs a multi launch in their line up. I was thinking something from Mack or if TTD goes well then I could see Zamperla multi launch. I am hoping 24 but I could very well see a 2025 or 2026 coaster. 

We will find out in the coming few months!!

• Like 3

I love B&M coasters, they are always crowd pleasers, and the last three installed at KI have been amazing, but they just aren't that intense. Sure Banshee maybe a little, but we need something with snappy transitions and a bit more intensity from the modern era. I love Flight of Fear, but design has improved so much in terms of launches, transitions, elements, *cough *cough comfort :P. If Cedar Point isn't working with intamin on TTD, then I'd rule out a modern blitz, as much as I'd love to see one. Also a new generation Vekoma would also be a great fit for The Vortex plot, but I just see a low probability of that happening. If KI could get B&M to bring the sit-down model from the grave, maybe a hulk style launch coaster that packs some intensity like their old school elements, along with some modern ones, but that would be an insane amount of $$$ for Cedar Fair.

• Like 2

I definitely agree that I think Phantom Theater return is on the table somewhere in there, 2024,2025,2026, somewhere in there.

Personally if we got a multi-launch I would want to see it utilize the crypt building, wheter that be just as a station/portion of "dark theming" before going outside, or with adding to the structure to do something fully enclosed, but the biggest thing id like to see that would be awesome is to make a multilaunch capacity monster with a dual load & unload, IE the setup guardians at Epcot has.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bwb.32 said:

Personally if we got a multi-launch I would want to see it utilize the crypt building, wheter that be just as a station/portion of "dark theming" before going outside, or with adding to the structure to do something fully enclosed, but the biggest thing id like to see that would be awesome is to make a multilaunch capacity monster with a dual load & unload, IE the setup guardians at Epcot has.

I'd rather have the Crypt building be used for some sort of indoor ride that families can ride like a flying theater or what @Cedar Fair Fanboy always says, a vekoma madhouse. It would provide another Winterfest proof ride and another air conditioned ride to escape the heat or bad weather. 

• Like 5

I would want to see Phantom Theater return if it were a new ride in a new building (like The Crypt building) and not just a retheme of Boo Blasters. I think we need MORE indoor rides, so gaining one while losing another, even if the new ride is slightly better, would not be ideal. I do think, though, that Planet Snoopy and Soak City need love, and those two areas may get attention before we see a new Phantom Theater. Action Zone also needs some love. If Kings Island were willing to build a whole new show building, a new Phantom Theater could actually work really well with an Action Zone retheme to something more haunted.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'd rather have the Crypt building be used for some sort of indoor ride that families can ride like a flying theater or what @Cedar Fair Fanboy always says, a vekoma madhouse. It would provide another Winterfest proof ride and another air conditioned ride to escape the heat or bad weather. 

Thanks for the mention

• Like 2

It's not too often I see a ride return, but Phantom Theater is one that I wouldn't mind. However, I am not too confident that KI will do this. I do see Boo Blasters going and re-purposed for a new ride. Will be interesting to see what the future holds for it.

As far as a new coaster, I'm sure whatever they are planning to go into the old Vortex plot is going to be a real crowd pleaser and fantastic choice. There's no coaster in recent memory that I do not believe delivered a great ride experience. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 7:52 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Paint the building in forest camo, or even just green if it's getting reused though, the warehouse look doesn't really work.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

Why not a spinning coaster, like a MACK Extreme Spinner themed to a Virginia Reel in Coney Mall. Could even tie it in with the old Coney Island/ old school amusement midway theme.

I 100% agree. It would be a perfect fit for the park. Have it have launches like Ride to Happiness. Take off the steel plate that controls the spin and add crazy elements and boom perfect fit for KI. Plus that type of ride is very rare and would bring in tons of guests.

( Of course not everyone might agree on taking off the plate that controls the spin that is just my opinion )

• Like 3

I know others have said this, but I think the best fit for Kings Island would be a MACK Rides Extreme Spinner would be the absolute best fit for Kings Island as it would be a modern launch coaster with inversions while also being different from Flight of Fear. Also, it would look stunning in The Vortex plot of land along the midway.

I think Kings Island's next coaster will open in 2025 as Cedar Point’s reimagining of Top Thrill Dragster will probably prevent a new coaster for Kings Island in 2024. However, I suppose there is a chance for 2024. Since Dorney Park is currently filing foundation plans for the park‘s new rollercoaster, I’ll point out that Orion’s foundation plans were filed on April 18, 2019. I assume that not a ton of prep work will be done to The Vortex plot of land before foundations are dug, but if we see plans pop up around April or May, we will have a good idea of what is coming.

• Like 3

With the news coming out of Dorney Park, it seems we are already looking at two new potential coasters coming from Cedar Fair in 2024 (if you count Dragster 2.0 as a new coaster). Not to mention that other notable parks like Carowinds and Knotts are also on the waiting list for a new coaster as well. It's still somewhat possible we could get a new coaster next year, but it's starting to look more likely that we'll have to wait an extra year or two. Not that I'm complaining, Dorney deserves a new coaster far more than Kings Island in my opinion and it is nice seeing Cedar Fair starting to invest in their smaller parks again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

What is the capacity on these spinning coasters.  Seems like anything low capacity is a bad idea for Kings Island.

Ride to Happiness apparently has a capacity of 700-800 riders per hour, though that could be the result of it only running two trains. Though it isn't a spinner, Copperhead Strike at Carowinds runs at a theoretical capacity of about 1200 riders per hour, which is the same as Mystic Timbers and Beast, although I can't confirm how often Copperhead reaches that hourly capacity of 1200 rph. If they gave KI a spinner with three trains and an hourly capacity that compares with something like Copperhead Strike, it could be a good fit.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, WoodVengeance said:

Ride to Happiness apparently has a capacity of 700-800 riders per hour, though that could be the result of it only running two trains. Though it isn't a spinner, Copperhead Strike at Carowinds runs at a theoretical capacity of about 1200 riders per hour, which is the same as Mystic Timbers and Beast, although I can't confirm how often Copperhead reaches that hourly capacity of 1200 rph. If they gave KI a spinner with three trains and an hourly capacity that compares with something like Copperhead Strike, it could be a good fit.

I would love a little bit bigger Copperhead Strike in the Vortex spot please. IndyGuy4KI approved.

• Like 8

I think an extreme spinner would be a great addition. I wouldn't mind a Copperhead Strike though. I really enjoyed it when I went to Carowinds. One thing I will say about an Xtreme spinner is if KI adds one, don't get your hopes up that it would run like ride to happiness. I think knowing our CEO and GM, it would run with the magnet that Time Traveler does so it can appeal to more guests. Apparently, Ride To Happiness doesn't get that long of a line because of how crazy it is. I think it would make more business sense to run with the magnet on. Sucks for us enthusiasts though. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think an extreme spinner would be a great addition. I wouldn't mind a Copperhead Strike though. I really enjoyed it when I went to Carowinds. One thing I will say about an Xtreme spinner is if KI adds one, don't get your hopes up that it would run like ride to happiness. I think knowing our CEO and GM, it would run with the magnet that Time Traveler does so it can appeal to more guests. Apparently, Ride To Happiness doesn't get that long of a line because of how crazy it is. I think it would make more business sense to run with the magnet on. Sucks for us enthusiasts though. 

I do think an extreme spinner would probably be a more marketable attraction compared to a standard multi-launch. As of 2023, There is only one Mack extreme spinner in the country and it's a considerable distance from Kings Island. The only nearby spinning coaster is going to be Wild Mouse at Cedar Point, and that's a family attraction that doesn't compare to the size and cost of an extreme spinner.

Although I do believe that an extreme spinner would be the best realistic candidate for a new coaster, it is important to note that a large portion of the general public aren't as comfortable with spinning rides. It's not as much of a problem for flat rides and Wild Mouse since those rides are much smaller in both scale and cost, but when you put spinning into a potential $25-30 million attraction with inversions and launches, it could be seen as too much for the general public. I do think having a magnet like Time Traveler may tone down the spinning a bit to make the ride a bit more comfortable.

From a business perspective, however, it may be a safer option to just go with a standard mack multi launch to appeal to as big of a crowd as possible. Although it wouldn't be as unique of an experience as an extreme spinner, a standard multi-launch that focuses on hangtime, inversions and ejector airtime would still complement the park well and would be different enough from a ride like Maverick to justify its placement in the same state.

• Like 1

In his lastest video, ElToroRyan reported that he heard rumors of Cedar Fair executives riding Velocicoaster and being extremely impressed with it. He even mentioned Cedar Fair might be planning Intamin LSM coasters. I don’t know how likely this is (because it’s Intamin), but something like Velicicoaster (unfortunately without the insane theming) would be perfect. It is not incredibly intense, so the general public loves it, and enthusiasts love it too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Really? Interesting. From what I heard it was the guests that asked the park to remove the magnet.

I agree though. Taking it off might not be the best decision for guests. I know I would enjoy it though. Lol.

15 hours ago, DiamondbackFan said:

If they go with Mack Rides, I wouldn't mind seeing a different experience in the back car.  DC Rivals has backwards facings seats on the last car.  Steel Taipan and ICON having spinning seats on the last car.

Yes plesse! I watched a video of Steel Taipan a few years ago and that back seat looks insane! However, like my idea/wish to add spinning cars to Backlot, that back car might be too intense for a lot of people.

• Like 1