New Coaster 2024?

Allen Greene

12 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Really? Interesting. From what I heard it was the guests that asked the park to remove the magnet.

I agree though. Taking it off might not be the best decision for guests. I know I would enjoy it though. Lol.

I don’t know if this is possible but maybe KI could go with a control spin then at Coaster Stock take the magnet off. That would be fun!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Really? Interesting. From what I heard it was the guests that asked the park to remove the magnet.

I agree though. Taking it off might not be the best decision for guests. I know I would enjoy it though. Lol.

Knowing they can disable the magnet… all the more reason for such possibilities at CoasterStock… 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

Any thoughts about the notice of commencement with Sky-high and B&M listed on it for 23? 

I am still a little confused by the Notice of Commencement. A lot of manufacturers were listed that almost seem copied over from the last Notice of Commencement. If Kings Island is working with B&M, it could be for new parts for an existing B&M, and I believe SkyHigh Coasters also offers the service to remove rides like SlingShot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I am still a little confused by the Notice of Commencement. A lot of manufacturers were listed that almost seem copied over from the last Notice of Commencement. If Kings Island is working with B&M, it could be for new parts for an existing B&M, and I believe SkyHigh Coasters also offers the service to remove rides like SlingShot.

They could very easily have also used the fact Adventure Port was announced late (along with the notice) as a way to hide a later, major, addition. 

Of course we won't know until later if anything does happen. It's fun to speculate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

Any thoughts about the notice of commencement with Sky-high and B&M listed on it for 23? 

My biggest question with it is if it is for a 2024 project, why doesn't the notice of commencement say 2024? The Orion one said "2018, 2019, and 2020 additions and modifications to Kings Island Park" this one just says "2022 and 2023" meaning the work is to be completed in 2023. 

• Like 3

The Mystic Timbers notice doesn't look like it was filed until August 18, 2016 which would have been well after clearing had started so I think there is a still a chance we could see another notice later this year for 2023 and 2024 modifications.  I could easily see the coaster not coming until '25 because Carowinds, Wonderland (I'm not counting the family coaster they are getting this year), and Knott's all received their last coaster installation before we got Orion.  With CF's focus on WOF this year, potentially Dorney next year, one would think Valleyfair is due something as well in the next couple of years (although I could see them getting Railblazer eventually when CGA closes).

I will be very curious to see what is going on with the Timberwolf site and if anything happens with the old Son of Beast station.  I know a lot of people think The Vortex site is the most likely area but I think that Action Zone needs it more than The Vortex spot does.  AZ still has a lot of the Paramount feel to it (aside from Banshee and it's plaza area).  Getting rid of Timberwolf and the SOB station would allow them to potentially build a shorter path to The Bat and an additional coaster would cause people to stay in that area of the park longer (which takes some strain off Rivertown and Area 72).  With them taking out the other three upcharge attractions (the old Go Karts, Dinos, and Slingshot) it isn't that crazy to think of Skyflyer going as well since it is nearing 30 years of age.  With Adventure Port being added there are finally some family rides in that area of the park besides VF, Congo, and The Bat but Action Zone needs some love and re-theme in the worst way.

As far as the coaster type I do love the idea of a Mack ride likes Time Traveler or Copperhead.  They both have the same capacity but a Time Traveler like ride would give the park a unique type ride and the spinning isn't super intense.  A different manufacturer gives a different feel since they have lost some manufacturer uniqueness with Firehawk and Vortex leaving.  I know other places have mentioned a Velocicoaster type ride but I don't know that CF wants to work with Intamin anymore.  But any of those ride types (TT, CS, or Veloci) would be fantastic additions to the park.  As far as B&M you can't discount that CSF is closer to KI than anywhere else and B&Ms are super popular (both here and elsewhere).  

• Like 3

Like I've said many times I don't see Timberwolf going anywhere for a long time. The only rumors of it coming down are the same rumors that have been going around since Paramore owned the park. Even though it's not used daily, it still serves a purpose with Music in the Parks, cheer competitions, Haunt and WF set up, and the occasional concerts like the concert series this past year and Spirit Song. Ik SS hasn't been held since before covid hit, but like I said in the SS thread, the website has been updated fairly recently to say "see you in 2023" so it looks like it may come back, but not confirmed as they have not come out with dates or a lineup yet. There is plenty of space to build new attractions without removing Timberwolf. Now parks like Carowinds or Canada's Wonderland I could see removing their amphitheaters sooner as they don't have near the amount of open space as KI does. I think The Vortex plot is the best option as I'm sure the park knows and sees the empty plot as a major eyesore and putting a coaster there sooner would complete that end of the park and make it less of an eyesore. Ik at night when viewing Coney from the tower, that area where Vortex stood sticks out as a very dark area that needs something there. 

• Like 1

If I had my way I would pick building a new attraction in The Vortex spot.  It would just make a nice backdrop for the park.  I would like a multi-launch coaster but a huge RMC would look good back there.  I just like seeing large Woodies and still miss the huge drop hill of SOB . . but not the painful ride experience.  It just sat there looking ominous over the park when you came in.

That being said I would like a new coaster and revamp of AZ too.  I cannot put my finger on it but the whole area just feels disjointed to me – idk doesn’t make sense.  Then The Vortex site could be the return of Swan Lake, trees, walking path, sit-down restaurant similar to the Outpost at KD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rlentless said:

If I had my way I would pick building a new attraction in The Vortex spot.  It would just make a nice backdrop for the park.  I would like a multi-launch coaster but a huge RMC would look good back there.  I just like seeing large Woodies and still miss the huge drop hill of SOB . . but not the painful ride experience.  It just sat there looking ominous over the park when you came in.

That being said I would like a new coaster and revamp of AZ too.  I cannot put my finger on it but the whole area just feels disjointed to me – idk doesn’t make sense.  Then The Vortex site could be the return of Swan Lake, trees, walking path, sit-down restaurant similar to the Outpost at KD.

Personally, while I'd love a huge RMC, I think it would require too much tree removal around The Beast, vs something smaller like a multilaunch would still allow most of The Beast to remain hidden. I think a ground up RMC would be better to run behind Banshee in some of the old Safari land.

• Like 2

I would think that a 2024 coaster would be very probable for Kings Island considering that Cedar Point and Canada’s Wonderland are technically getting new coasters this year and Carowinds is receiving a very large addition in Aeronautica Landing. Besides some “wild card” parks like Dorney Park, those are the only two parks that I could see getting a new rollercoaster before Kings Island. However, the refreshed Top Thrill Dragster may push a potential 2024 rollercoaster back some. I really hope not, though, because when Canada’s Wonderland had Yukon Steiker pushed back for Valravn in 2016, it took THREE years for it to finally open. I guess we’ll know if a coaster is in store for 2024 in a few months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I would think that a 2024 coaster would be very probable for Kings Island considering that Cedar Point and Canada’s Wonderland are technically getting new coasters this year and Carowinds is receiving a very large addition in Aeronautica Landing. Besides some “wild card” parks like Dorney Park, those are the only two parks that I could see getting a new rollercoaster before Kings Island. However, the refreshed Top Thrill Dragster may push a potential 2024 rollercoaster back some. I really hope not, though, because when Canada’s Wonderland had Yukon Steiker pushed back for Valravn in 2016, it took THREE years for it to finally open. I guess we’ll know if a coaster is in store for 2024 in a few months.

I think it depends on what the refreshed TTD ends up being. If it's just an LSM launch change and new trains and new theme and not a layout change, I could see a new coaster at KI. Ik CP and KI haven't gotten new large marketable investments in the same year under the same ownership, however the past doesn't always reflect the future. I don't think anyone saw CF adding 4 new coasters in one year (2018). We'll see though. Hoping along with the opening of Adventure Port, it is another year of the KIC decoding thread (minus me messaging John Matarese of course lol). 

• Like 3

There is always the possibility of a smaller investment in the vein of Mystics Timbers.  A Freespin, Gravity Group Woodie or RMC could fit within the budget of Mystic Timbers.  And there are plenty of kiddie/family coasters that would as well.  Our next 30+ million coaster could still be 5+ years away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bansheelover said:

I think in 2024 you will see the beginning of the dismantling of California's Great America with Pyscho Mouse being sent to Kings Island. Then in 2026 or 2027 a massive multi launch looper from Zamperla or Intamin. 

I don't see us getting Psycho Mouse. In fact I don't see Psycho Mouse getting relocated. Arrow is out of business and I don't see CF relocating a coaster from a manufacterer that is no longer in business. If we get anything from CGA, I'm betting on some of the kid rides and/or flat rides like Berserker or Centrifuge. Or I can always dream of us getting Carousel Columbia, but I think that goes to CP. 

• Like 2

So here's my two cents on the matter - 

I personally feel like they will wait till 2025 to open the next coaster at KI for the following reasons. First, CP is getting the huge investment of the Dragster reopening and historically KI and CP do not open new coasters the same year. Also, Dorney Park seemingly is going to receive a new coaster for 2024 so not sure if they are looking to make a big KI investment next year. I personally think we will get a water park improvement, new restaurant, or nothing in 2024 and then get the new coaster in 2025. I would like to see a Vekoma Mad House in Tomb Raider building open in 2024 or see Boo Blaster restored to phantom Theater in 2024 but I think it's doubtful because historically the year before a major coaster addition we get squat. For example, 2008 brought nothing but the renaming of the paramount attractions for a big investment of Dback opening in 2009. 2013 brought us a new dinosaur for Dinosaurs Alive and the Miami river brewhouse gearing up for 2014 Banshee. 2016 they added tropical plunge to Soak City then gave us Mystic Timbers in 2017. In 2019 they shockingly gave us the antique cars and followed it up with Orion in 2020. However you can see the pattern here small investment leading up to the big one. I think adventure port is too big to be the "small investment leading up to the big one". It is a new restaurant, two new flats, and some amount of work/enhancement to the existing Adventure Express. 

So when the time comes for the new coaster, my wish and money is on The Vortex plot. I do agree that Action Zone needs a facelift and a new ride would help that immensely but it's not quite time for that yet. I'm not sure what the lifespan is on The Bat (praying it's a long time or they do something to save it but because it's an arrow and not a coaster landmark, it's doubtful that they would make a huge investment on it) but I can't see it lasting another 10 years. Same for Invertigo and while it's the last Vekoma Invertigo model in the USA and it'll be sad to lose another rare coaster, I can't see park management keeping it around forever. As someone else pointed out the EXtreme Skyflyer days are possibly numbered based on the recent trend of demolishing additional cost attractions and that it's roughly 30 years old. Congo Falls is another one that seems disposable and of course nobody knows what the heck they plan to do with Timberwolf. My point is that given some time we will see a drastic change in Action Zone as the rides get older and are most likely removed. As for 2024/2025 I think it's The Vortex plot that gets the new coaster. 

As for what type of coaster, my #1 pick is a Vekoma Shockwave like Abyssus at Energylandia and the new Dragon in the Jungle coaster at Dragon Valley in China. First of all these look like a ton of fun and the way they utilize terrain would fit The Vortex plot very nicely. Also, Abyssus has a 48" height requirement which is very important to me. Seeing as we lost a coaster with that height requirement we should build one that targets that audience. Also, currently our looper with the lowest height requirement is Banshee and I've always thought that was a bit intense to be you first looper. In KI history, King Cobra was the best one seeing as it only had the one inversion but Vortex also worked because while it had 6 inversions, the ride itself was not as forceful or as intense as Banshee. These Vekoma Shockwave coasters usually have 4-6 inversions I believe and would fill the void left by Vortex in our coaster lineup. 

Other people have suggested the Mack Rides Extreme Spinner and if I can't have a Modern Vekoma, that would probably be a good second. I personally am against an RMC at this time just because CP has one of the best ones and I want something that CP doesn't have. CP has countless things we don't so when are we ever going to be able to say we have _____ and you don't? Also, while I love B&M I am against adding another at this time just because there's so many other great manufacturers right now and I want something that's different! 

aahipqg.jpeg

aahhane.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I have a perfect name for an Xtreme spinner: Polar Vortex. Great nod to the former Vortex coaster, but with a new theme (think Ice Breaker at SWO). Imagine the teaser campaign: "A storm is brewin"

If they decided to add a Xtreme Spinner, but Cedar Fair won't spent that amount of money to make it like Ride to Happiness. Beside if they added a traditional type, it's better to call it The Knievel, beside it's for KI history.

1 hour ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

If they decided to add a Xtreme Spinner, but Cedar Fair won't spent that amount of money to make it like Ride to Happiness. Beside if they added a traditional type, it's better to call it The Knievel, beside it's for KI history.

I can guarantee you Evel/Robbie's family has that trademarked. I doubt CF would want to buy a license to use a name like that when they can trademark their own name. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:25 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't see us getting Psycho Mouse. In fact I don't see Psycho Mouse getting relocated. Arrow is out of business and I don't see CF relocating a coaster from a manufacterer that is no longer in business. If we get anything from CGA, I'm betting on some of the kid rides and/or flat rides like Berserker or Centrifuge. Or I can always dream of us getting Carousel Columbia, but I think that goes to CP. 

Psycho Mouse being relocated or sold isn't out of the realm of possibilities because S&S makes parts for Arrow Coasters.

https://www.s-s.com/ride-services-and-parts/arrow-rides#:~:text=S%26S continues to support and,Need Help%3F

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Per the Season Pass Holders page:

C3052721-7E9D-47C2-BB32-EB8D9E33CF94.jpeg

84BAF382-4B7E-4F83-86F8-53FBDF344DAD.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KISeasonPassholders/permalink/1932221810444260/?mibextid=S66gvF

Not seeing anything as far as land being cleared. Maybe it would be too early to start? I’m not sure. But I don’t think 2024 is going to be a coaster year, friends. 

From what I remember, the clearing for Orion didn't start until like April. I remember a member flying in a plane over the park that off season as late as March and the only thing cleared was Firehawk's plot. 

Also, with Vortex's plot, they likely wouldn't need to clear much more space unless they were going to do a very large coaster that would need the extra woods space behind The Vortex site. Vortex and the original bat fit in this cleared plot well. They basically cleared the site when they demolished Vortex so all they'd basically need to do is grade the site. 

• Like 3