New Coaster 2024?

Allen Greene

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Also, with Vortex's plot, they likely wouldn't need to clear much more space unless they were going to do a very large coaster that would need the extra woods space behind The Vortex site. Vortex and the original bat fit in this cleared plot well. They basically cleared the site when they demolished Vortex so all they'd basically need to do is grade the site. 

Correct,  you can easily fit a coaster the size Copperhead Strike in that area without cutting down any more trees.

• Like 3

I say the biggest sign that we could see for a major new project there on opening day would be if they move the fence up to right up against the midway in the area where the batwing was. Right now, the fence near where the batwing was is away from the midway. I say when they start construction there, they'll move the fence up right up against the midway to block the view of the site. That's probably where they'll do the teasing campaign. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 10:20 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That was over 10 years ago and a different CEO. Wouldn't surprise me if I-305 is rethemed to Jungle X once the license expires. 

I hope they do soon. Having a racing themed ride in a jungle themed area is a bit strange.

I know a lot of good snake names have been taken already but why not theme it to a snake of some sort? The ride already looks like a snake with those snappy turns. Give the trains snake tails as well.

• Like 1

If we get anything, won’t come until at least 2025. Cedar Point is working on the TTD project which one can assume means they’re getting it ready for the 2024 season. It wouldn’t make any sense to debut 2 coasters in the same state in the same season. I consider Orion a 2021 attraction simply because not everyone got to experience it in 2020. Is waiting 5 years for a coaster isn’t something we haven’t encountered before

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

If we get anything, won’t come until at least 2025. Cedar Point is working on the TTD project which one can assume means they’re getting it ready for the 2024 season. It wouldn’t make any sense to debut 2 coasters in the same state in the same season. I consider Orion a 2021 attraction simply because not everyone got to experience it in 2020. Is waiting 5 years for a coaster isn’t something we haven’t encountered before

I'm actually starting to think 2026 for our coaster. Based on other parks, I don't think we should be up yet. We all know 2024 is Dragster and Dorney. 2025 is rumored to be Canada's Wonderland's year for a big coaster. I think an Xtreme Spinner would be perfect at Wonderland. Also, Carowinds hasn't recieved a coaster since before Covid so I think 2025 will be their year. I'm thinking a GCI where the Rapids ride was plus maybe they removed the not used Palladium and combine the plots. Also, KD I think replaces Volcano first as they removed Volcano before Vortex. I think we see the wing coaster that was shelved before covid be ressurected, but maybe a little bigger. I think 2026 will be KI and Valleyfair's year. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Also, KD I think replaces Volcano first as they removed Volcano before Vortex. I think we see the wing coaster that was shelved before covid be ressurected,

Doesn't BGW have a clause with B&M that they can't build a new coaster at KD? (Dominator got around it as it was a relocation if I have things straight)

34 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Doesn't BGW have a clause with B&M that they can't build a new coaster at KD? (Dominator got around it as it was a relocation if I have things straight)

People say that, but I haven't seen any legit source that backs that up. It's been 15+ years now since the last B&M at BGW was added. Plus, BGW doesn't have a wing coaster so it would be different. 

58 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm actually starting to think 2026 for our coaster. Based on other parks, I don't think we should be up yet. We all know 2024 is Dragster and Dorney. 2025 is rumored to be Canada's Wonderland's year for a big coaster. I think an Xtreme Spinner would be perfect at Wonderland. Also, Carowinds hasn't recieved a coaster since before Covid so I think 2025 will be their year. I'm thinking a GCI where the Rapids ride was plus maybe they removed the not used Palladium and combine the plots. Also, KD I think replaces Volcano first as they removed Volcano before Vortex. I think we see the wing coaster that was shelved before covid be ressurected, but maybe a little bigger. I think 2026 will be KI and Valleyfair's year. 

To be fair, Kings Dominion did get a new coaster in 2022. It may have been a S&S Free Spin, but it was still marketed as a new coaster. Also, Cedar Fair has never been fair about installing coasters around its parks. Kings Dominion has not received new coasters as frequently as other parks. Also, while Carowinds has not received a new coaster in a while, they are getting five new flat rides and a major new area for next year. I know Kings Island is too, but it is a much smaller investment by comparison. I do think Canada’s Wonderland is due for a new coaster soon, though.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

People say that, but I haven't seen any legit source that backs that up. It's been 15+ years now since the last B&M at BGW was added. Plus, BGW doesn't have a wing coaster so it would be different. 

KD has never got a ground up B&M ever in its existence so that would lead me to believe that there was some type of restriction. There are plenty of competing parks that have similar coasters: Fiesta Texas and Sea World San Antonio, have the same clone….heck KD and BGW both have arrow loopers. I don’t see any logic in Kings Dominion choosing not to go for a B&M, so there had to have been some type of exclusivity clause somewhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So this was a very interesting assessment that made me start thinking - 

2019: Carowinds (Copperhead Strike), Canada's Wonderland (Yukon Striker)

2020: Kings Island (Orion)

2021: n/a

2022: King's Dominion (Tumbili)

2023: Cedar Point (Wild Mouse), Canada's Wonderland (Snoopy's Racing Railway), World's of Fun (Zambezi Zinger)  

2024: Cedar Point (TTD Reimagined), Dorney Park (unnamed coaster project)

2025: My best guess is new coasters at Kings Island & Carowinds

2026: My best guess is new coasters at Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland 

Based on this, I think we can safely try to predict the future Cedar Fair investments. We all know CGA is not going to see any new coaster additions seeing as the park's days are now numbered. Michigan's Great Adventure and Valleyfair both could use an investment in the coming years however, I honestly see them as prime candidates for relocated attractions from CGA (if Rail Blazed could be relocated I think it would be a win for either of these two parks) In that scenario, I think CP should relocate Rougarou to whichever park doesn't get Rail Blazer. Rougarou doesn't seem that popular at CP (at least whenever I'm there) and would be a star attraction at either of the other two parks while of course freeing up a valuable plot of land at CP. World's of Fun and Dorney Park are getting their new coasters this year and next year so I think Cedar Fair will abandon them in terms of coaster investments for awhile. 

Now concerning the larger flagship parks - 

Cedar Point: After the wild mouse and TTD Reimagined, I think they will be good for a few years until a new plot opens up either because of an existing coater reaching the end of it service life or a relocation of Rougarou (see previous paragraph)

Carowinds: I absolutely agree with Hawaiian Coasters 325 that Carowinds is going to be on top priority for a new coaster (probably 2025) They have the space, they are a big park, and haven't received any new coasters since COVID. 

Kings Island: I'm still thinking 2025 is our year. It'll be 5 years since the opening of Orion and we have available space in The Vortex plot. 

Canada's Wonderland: while it's true that Yukon Striker was added pre-covid, they are getting Snoopy's Racing Railway this year (2023) which while it's a subpar coaster addition it does count. I think they will see a new big coaster addition in 2026. 

Knott's Berry Farm: So last I heard Knott's is landlocked much like CP which means unless they are moving stuff or demolishing existing attractions, I'm not sure when they will see a new coaster addition. I also think that Knott's is a unique CF park as it's one of the only ones I'd classify as a "theme park" and perhaps Knott's future is not in the newest coasters but in solid dark rides/story rides that complete the experience and fit better with what makes Knott's different from other parks in the chain. 

Kings Dominion: Kings Dominion....like Canada's Wonderland, got a poor excuse of a new coaster with Tumbili. KD was hurt by losing Shockwave and Volcano so close together and technically Hurler. So if we look at the lineup, Hurler was replaced by Twisted Timbers, Shockwave (though replaced by Delirium) you could argue was replaced by Tumbili leaving Volcano as the void that needs filled. I'm thinking 2025 or 2026 is the year for KD first because they really do still need a replacement for volcano but second because I'm not sure how much longer they are going to want to hang onto Andaconda (they really need to replace Volcano before removing any more coasters).

• Like 4

^^Very good points. However, I'm sticking with:

2024: Cedar Point (Dragster reimagined) Dorney (mini dive)

2025: Canada's Wonderland (Xtreme Spinner in world expo get to that in a minute) Carowinds (GCI with possible inversion using titan track and infinity flyers in Rapids/Palladium plots) Kings Dominion (small/medium size B&M wing coaster. Like X flight or maybe Thunderbird size in Volcano plot)

2026: Kings Island (Mack or Intamin multi launch) Valleyfair (small scale B&M invert) BOLD prediction Michigan's Adventure (skyline attractions family single rail coaster like some SF parks are getting)

2027: Knotts Berry Farm (maybe Ghosttown B&M giga happens or a hyper, but I think they'll get some sort of large addition in Ghosttown that year) Cedar Point (GCI woodie in Forbidden Frontier/Frontier fling plot.)

For Canada's Wonderland, I'm saying 2025 is likely their year because Amusement Insiders' little birdy or whatever seems to be pointing him in predicting 2025 and I honestly think we see the demolition of Flight Deck and/or Time Warp also don't forget Kingswood is just sitting there with some of the tents gone likely awaiting removal. You remove those 3 things, that opens up a huge plot of land in that area of the park that desperately needs a retheme. I think they combine their world expo and Action Zone and turn it into a giant world expo area and I think a Mack Xtreme spinner would fit perfectly with that type of theme. Ik Amusement Insiders should be taken with a grain of salt, but it is worth noting that he basically nailed it predicting Yukon Striker (minus the whole giga thing lol), Lazybear Lodge, and the 2023 additions (not exactly right, but he did predict a Snoopy kids coaster early on and a flat ride near Yukon and boom that's exactly what's happening). So I definitely have a good trust in Amusement Insiders over some other prediction channels.

Now for Carowinds, while I am still predicting 2025 and the rapids/palladium plot, it is worth mentioning that Carowinds Fans Only did in fact spot some work going on in Dinosaur's Alive so don't completely rule out 2024 for Carowinds quite yet, but could very well be for something else. 

image.png

source: https://www.facebook.com/carowindsfansonly

Anyways, excited about the future of the parks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Anyways, excited about the future of the parks

Yes regardless of who gets what and when they get it, hopefully we have a bright future of good investments now that the pandemic era seems to be over. Sometimes good investments aren't even new rollercoasters...for example the re-tracking of Racer, Beast, and Grizzly are all good investments in restoring older rides to their full potential. There have been some great dark ride ideas on the forums lately and I also think we'll see more lands getting a facelift/retheme (example: Adventure Port at KI, Boardwalk at CP, and Aeronautical Landing at Carowinds). The future looks bright! 

• Like 4

On 2/8/2023 at 8:42 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I can guarantee you Evel/Robbie's family has that trademarked. I doubt CF would want to buy a license to use a name like that when they can trademark their own name. 

Little bit of sad news is that Robbie Knievel passed away back in January.

14 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

Based on this, I think we can safely try to predict the future Cedar Fair investments. We all know CGA is not going to see any new coaster additions seeing as the park's days are now numbered. Michigan's Great Adventure and Valleyfair both could use an investment in the coming years however, I honestly see them as prime candidates for relocated attractions from CGA (if Rail Blazed could be relocated I think it would be a win for either of these two parks) In that scenario, I think CP should relocate Rougarou to whichever park doesn't get Rail Blazer. Rougarou doesn't seem that popular at CP (at least whenever I'm there) and would be a star attraction at either of the other two parks while of course freeing up a valuable plot of land at CP. World's of Fun and Dorney Park are getting their new coasters this year and next year so I think Cedar Fair will abandon them in terms of coaster investments for awhile. 

Depending on how they utilize the island, a Rougarou replacement could have even more space as it could crossover the water and utilize part of the former Frontier Trail Island too.

With the ride being nearly 30 years old, would relocating it really be the best option? Wicked Twister was younger and they ripped that ride out. Dismantling transporting, and reassembling could add extra wear and tear on a ride as a whole. Considering they chose to demolish their other coasters, I don’t see them relocating any of their coasters to another park in the chain (unless it’s like kiddie coaster or something of that nature.)

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

With the ride being nearly 30 years old, would relocating it really be the best option? Wicked Twister was younger and they ripped that ride out. Dismantling transporting, and reassembling could add extra wear and tear on a ride as a whole. Considering they chose to demolish their other coasters, I don’t see them relocating any of their coasters to another park in the chain (unless it’s like kiddie coaster or something of that nature.)

Valid point. Rougarou will probably just stay at CP for many years and will just hit the scrap pile. I'm not sure what coaster is on the chopping block next for CP but I can safely say that I won't be heartbroken if its Rougarou. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to put this here instead of making a new topic for it. Kings Island is seriously lacking in a good supporting or keynote launch coaster. From my weekend at Knotts's riding some Xcelerator, to my few days in Orlando this week riding Velocicoaster, it made me seriously consider the overall line up that we have at Kings Island. We have been lacking in a serious launched coaster for some time now, while FoF is a solid classic first, BLSC just doesn't do it for what I feel like the park is lacking. I'll say it once and I'll say it again, I think Orion is fun, but definitely not what the park needed. We have a good invert, with great inversions, but we're lacking a modern launch coaster that blends inversions with solid speed. I would love to see a reintroduction to Intamin if we could, but even if not that, a serious Mack that actually has the intensity a la Velocicoaster would be something I think the park is desperately lacking. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I'm going to put this here instead of making a new topic for it. Kings Island is seriously lacking in a good supporting or keynote launch coaster. From my weekend at Knotts's riding some Xcelerator, to my few days in Orlando this week riding Velocicoaster, it made me seriously consider the overall line up that we have at Kings Island. We have been lacking in a serious launched coaster for some time now, while FoF is a solid classic first, BLSC just doesn't do it for what I feel like the park is lacking. I'll say it once and I'll say it again, I think Orion is fun, but definitely not what the park needed. We have a good invert, with great inversions, but we're lacking a modern launch coaster that blends inversions with solid speed. I would love to see a reintroduction to Intamin if we could, but even if not that, a serious Mack that actually has the intensity a la Velocicoaster would be something I think the park is desperately lacking. 

I 100% agree. I’ve been saying Mack Multi launch for quite a while now. I just think something like Copperhead Strike with a couple of Inversions and some ejector airtime would do some amazing things for the park. I have said Mack should try a stall and Europa park’s 2024 coaster will include one. I just think a stall over the path leading to Coney mall from Rivertown would just be incredible. It would interact with the guests perfectly. We don’t have anything like it in the park it would be completely different.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

I 100% agree. I’ve been saying Mack Multi launch for quite a while now. I just think something like Copperhead Strike with a couple of Inversions and some ejector airtime would do some amazing things for the park. I have said Mack should try a stall and Europa park’s 2024 coaster will include one. I just think a stall over the path leading to Coney mall from Rivertown would just be incredible. It would interact with the guests perfectly. We don’t have anything like it in the park it would be completely different.

While it would likely be a Mack, I would prefer an Intamin with that. I really enjoyed Velocicoaster and a stall like on Velocicoaster or Pantheon would be unique for the park. Having it go over the pathway would be cool. Do it like Steel Curtain where there is an airtime hill and a stall underneath it. 

• Like 3

I cannot wait to see what occupies the old Vortex spot.

From the good press and reviews from my oldest son, who lives in Florida, I'd love to see something like Velocicoaster there! Or a monster ground up RMC in that spot. There is so much potential there. Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't spin...ha! Ever since my first ride on the Rotor, I realized me and spinning do not agree. Build a 500ft tall rollercoaster and I'll be first in line though!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Im still leaning towards a B&M dive coaster going in that spot.  

I have said for years that the plot seems suitable for a dive coaster, however it wouldn't be my preferred choice seeing as the new models have anti airtime vest restraints. The older dives like griffon and sheikra are loads of fun but Valravn is just average to me due to the lack of airtime. 

I'm a smaller guy and I fit in the sweet spot where it's difficult not to get stapled on the B&M vest restraints, so my Valravn rides have been air-less sans a little bit on the 2 drops in the back. I'm hoping Griffon remedies that when I go this summer.

18 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I have said for years that the plot seems suitable for a dive coaster, however it wouldn't be my preferred choice seeing as the new models have anti airtime vest restraints. The older dives like griffon and sheikra are loads of fun but Valravn is just average to me due to the lack of airtime. 

I have been on Griffon and its one of my favorites' coasters.   We have been to Cedar Point 6 or 7 times and Valravn has been down every single time so I have yet to ride.  Not sure if its just bad timing or what.  Our last visiting was I determined to get the credit and waited for almost two hours at a close ride before I gave up.  

• Like 1

I would rather we not get a dive coaster or another B&M for that matter next. 3 of the last 4 coasters were B&M so I think it is time to get another manufacturer a shot. A Mack multi launch would be a great fit. However, my main want is an Intamin multi launch like Velocicoaster or Maverick, but that is if CF decides to go with Intamin. I also wouldn't rule out a modern Vekoma launch like Abyssus at Energylandia. In fact that coaster has the same signature batwing element Vortex had and you could place that right in the same spot as the old batwing. Would be a good nod to Vortex. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I would rather we not get a dive coaster or another B&M for that matter next. 3 of the last 4 coasters were B&M so I think it is time to get another manufacturer a shot. A Mack multi launch would be a great fit. However, my main want is an Intamin multi launch like Velocicoaster or Maverick, but that is if CF decides to go with Intamin. I also wouldn't rule out a modern Vekoma launch like Abyssus at Energylandia. In fact that coaster has the same signature batwing element Vortex had and you could place that right in the same spot as the old batwing. Would be a good nod to Vortex. 

A batwing hugging the midway in Vortex’s successor would be awesome!

• Like 2