New Coaster 2024?

Allen Greene

I think 2025 is more likely if the next coaster is something big, but I would not be surprised to see a small coaster in 2024.  Either something in the kids area, or maybe a wild mouse.  The Zamperla being built at Cedar Point would be a tight fit but I believe it would fit where the old arcade is located on Coney Mall, between the antique cars and Zephyr, I believe the fence would be about 10 feet in front of where the building is located, but not 100% certain, with the queue between the coaster and Zephyr.  Kings Island is the only park in the chain without a wild mouse or similar coaster.  It’s a cheap and easy way to add a coaster and put off the next big new ride at Kings Island for 2 or 3 years.

Dive coasters are very popular with the public, I expect Kings Island will get one, just likely not next year.  The Vortex spot feels like the perfect location.  Although I expect the next big attraction to be built towards the front of the park, likely in Action Zone.  I believe The Vortex land will stay empty for a few more years.

• Like 4

Probably still too early but maybe we will get something or things from California’s Great America Park, since it will be closing in 5 years. 

Coaster wise I want:

1) Railblazer

2) Patriot 

Ride wise I want:

1) Flying Eagles

2) Orbit

3) Delta Flyer / Eagles Flight

4) Carousel Columbia

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

What would really be interesting to discuss, is, if (and that is a big if) Intamin is doing the re-imagining of Top Thrill Dragster, would they be in consideration to build the next coaster at KI, providing it is a success?

Even though he didn't provide his source and is the same guy pushing the Zamperla Dragster rumor, Eltororyan did say that from the "industry rumblings" he heard, CF executives after checking out Velocicoaster were very impressed and they want to do multiple Intamin LSM launch coasters. 

Here's the video he says it in. Towards the end of the video: 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

My main want is Vekoma Looper in The Vortex plot (still themed around The Vortex name somehow)... or a Mack Extreme Spinner replacing Invertigo and Congo Falls with a front park entrance (Bavarian Beetle).. a titan track gci or launch hill rmc Son of Beast still trying to get the hyper wooden.. 

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling 2025 is our year for our next coaster. That would be 5 years after Orion but 2020 and 2021 were pandemic years so keeping the 3 year cycle between coasters ( Banshee 2014, Mystic 2017, Orion 2020) 2025 would hit the 3 year mark. With that said I still believe a Mack Multi launch would be an amazing addition to the park but I have been thinking lately and a RMC ground up in The Vortex plot ( Not themed to Son of Beast ) that would top Gwazi and Vengeance would be incredible. What about the tallest, fastest, steepest Hybrid coaster? It wouldn’t be longer than Vengeance but longer than Zadra and Iron Gwazi. I know Cedar Fair doesn’t usually give the record breakers to KI but Steel Vengeance has already been passed by Zadra and Gwazi in most of the stats besides length. I am just hoping here but I really would love to see this come to life at KI it would really be an outstanding addition.

• Like 3

I hear Copperhead Strike didn’t meet expectations but I could be wrong. Years ago it was easier to predict what some of the larger parks would get but now I’m not sure what the future holds for our park when it comes to large scale coasters. During speculations, don’t think people were screaming “INVERT” in 2013 or “GCI” in 2016. Of course people were screaming “GIGA” in 2019 because it was somewhat obvious and fans had been wanting it for years. Now we’re back in the times where, like 2013 and 2016, we don’t really know what we’re getting (unless we peak at the Mason permits.) 

• Like 3

With the removals of both Firehawk and Vortex (both of which were inversion-focused), I think it's likely that whatever our next major coaster will probably have inversions of some sort. As of right now: Banshee, Flight of Fear and Invertigo are the only coasters in the park with any inversions, and I do feel Invertigo may only have a few years left at the park at-most. Even then, that's still a broad category that applies to many different coaster models.

If I had to place a bet on which coaster model is the most likely (not the one I personally want there), I would guess a B&M Dive Coaster. I definitely would like something different than another B&M, but from a business perspective it makes the most sense. Both Valravn and Yukon Striker have been immensely popular with the general public at their respective parks and do rather well in terms of both reliability and capacity. In addition, I think a Dive coaster in the former plot of Vortex would look quite well. Although Cedar Point already has Valravn in the same state, I don't think it's enough of a detractor for Kings Island not to get one.

Again, I personally don't want a B&M Dive at Kings Island as I feel there are other coaster models that would compliment the park's lineup better like a Mack multi-launch, RMC or Gerstlauer. But at the end of the day, the general public is the main draw for any park. Regardless, it's still a complete mystery what's going to happen and we'll just have to wait until we do start seeing activity like land clearing or permits from mason hall. It might be at least another year or two before we start seeing that type of stuff happen.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

With the removals of both Firehawk and Vortex (both of which were inversion-focused), I think it's likely that whatever our next major coaster will probably have inversions of some sort. As of right now: Banshee, Flight of Fear and Invertigo are the only coasters in the park with any inversions, and I do feel Invertigo may only have a few years left at the park at-most. Even then, that's still a broad category that applies to many different coaster models.

If I had to place a bet on which coaster model is the most likely (not the one I personally want there), I would guess a B&M Dive Coaster. I definitely would like something different than another B&M, but from a business perspective it makes the most sense. Both Valravn and Yukon Striker have been immensely popular with the general public at their respective parks and do rather well in terms of both reliability and capacity. In addition, I think a Dive coaster in the former plot of Vortex would look quite well. Although Cedar Point already has Valravn in the same state, I don't think it's enough of a detractor for Kings Island not to get one.

Again, I personally don't want a B&M Dive at Kings Island as I feel there are other coaster models that would compliment the park's lineup better like a Mack multi-launch, RMC or Gerstlauer. But at the end of the day, the general public is the main draw for any park. Regardless, it's still a complete mystery what's going to happen and we'll just have to wait until we do start seeing activity like land clearing or permits from mason hall. It might be at least another year or two before we start seeing that type of stuff happen.

I do think a dive coaster would be nice but with 3 out of the last 4 coasters coming from B&M I hope we get something different. Don’t get me wrong I would love a dive but just not the next coaster we get.

• Like 2

Honestly I think the park needs a good off-season for general maintenance to work out the kinks for some rides. I wouldn’t mind seeing theming enhancements like what the Adventure Express received be done to other rides / coasters such as The Beast. If they do go an addition route ride wise if anything the water park has been neglected. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orion742 said:

I do think a dive coaster would be nice but with 3 out of the last 4 coasters coming from B&M I hope we get something different. Don’t get me wrong I would love a dive but just not the next coaster we get.

That's how I feel and personally I don't want another B&M at KI as well. Thinking from the general public's perspective and the trends Cedar Fair and Kings Island have had lately in terms of coaster additions, it is a very safe pick to put in a B&M Dive.

• Like 2

My favorite timeline was 2017-2020:

2017: New coaster

2018: General park improvements 

2019: Family ride + general park improvements 

2020: New Coaster

If at least one or two seasons between large additions is geared towards general improvements around the property, I would be happy. 

Edited by SonofBaconator
Correction
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

My favorite timeline was 2017-2020:

2017: New coaster

2018: New family ride

2019: General park improvements 

2020: New Coaster

If at least one or two seasons between large additions is geared towards general improvements around the property, I would be happy. 

2018 was park improvements/Coney BBQ and 2019 was antique autos/I street renovation/other park improvements. 

• Like 1

Man after riding Intimidator 305 and Fury325 this past weekend. I’ve grown more dissatisfied with Orion.. I know we’re stuck with it for the next 30 years but maybe CF can make up to us by building the worlds first Giga RMC at KI?? We have the land behind Banshee to do it, there is even a station not in use there.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I am also one who would love to see a ground up RMC on the old Vortex lot.

I think that Powder Keg would be a fitting name and make for great theming. This would play into the history of the area and the munitions factory (Peters Cartridge Company) thats buildings still exist in Kings Mill, OH.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I am also one who would love to see a ground up RMC on the old Vortex lot.

I think that Powder Keg would be a fitting name and make for great theming. This would play into the history of the area and the munitions factory (Peters Cartridge Company) thats buildings still exist in Kings Mill, OH.

Ricochet would be a good name too, but it’s taken. I like this idea tho. The Cartridge factory is very unique to the Kings Mills area. It would fit in at Rivertown with some minor adjustments to The Beast sign, exit and fast pass.

I can picture it now: "Warning: Do not enter. Mandatory and ongoing lockdown is in effect for the Miami River Cartridge Company. Repeat, do not enter." :P

IMG_3320.jpeg

• Like 3

I am interested to see what the timeline will be for a new rollercoaster at Kings Island. Obviously, Kings Island is not going to get one next year (unless it is a small rollercoaster like with what Canada’s Wonderland got this year). Instead, it appears Cedar Point and Dorney Park will get the new major rollercoasters in the Cedar Fair chain for 2024.

So what about 2025? On ParkFans, there are numerous pictures of survey markings a stakes that have appeared in the past couple weeks all over the Volcano plot of land at Kings Dominion. These markings would coincide perfectly with a new 2025 rollercoaster, which seems to be what will happen. Similarly, there are a ton of markings at Canada’s Wonderland, and they are also rumored to get a major new rollercoaster for 2025. If both of these parks get major new rollercoasters in 2025, I am skeptical any other Cedar Fair parks would also see major new rollercoasters that year.

Maybe it will be 2026? I guess there is still a chance for a 2025 new rollercoaster, but we would expect to see some sort of survey markings two years in advance of a major addition. For 2025, we would have to see survey markings before the end of the summer. If a new rollercoaster is planned for The Vortex plot of land, these markings would be quite obvious. However, if a new rollercoaster is planned elsewhere in the park (like Action Zone), we may never know until active construction begins. For example, for Mystic Timbers and Orion in 2015 and 2018, since most of the would-be construction zone was in the woods, survey markings were mostly hidden. However, some markers were spotted behind The Racer late in the season in 2018. That being said, 2026 is looking increasingly likely, but I wouldn’t rule out 2025 yet.

That being said, I have heard that Kings Island’s next rollercoaster is more likely to go in Action Zone than The Vortex plot of land. I can see why this would be since Action Zone has not received attention in what will be a decade next season. Coney Mall, for comparison, last received attention in 2019. Nearby Area 72 last received attention in 2020. Rivertown last received attention in 2017. Oktoberfest/Adventure Port last received attention this year, which was long overdue. If we go based off what areas are “due” for some attention, Action Zone has been waiting the longest (2014), which is followed by Planet Snoopy (2015) and Soak City (2016). I would expect these three areas to see the most investment over the next several years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are so many possibilities with what the park can do in Action Zone. I always hoped that they would rename Invertigo, to Stinger and give it renovated trains with better restraints. Much like what Kentucky Kingdom did to T3.(Formerly T2) Guessing how Kentucky Kingdom ended up selling T3, 7 years after renovation that will probably not happen.

IMG_3328.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

There is so many possibilities with what the park can do in Action Zone. I always hoped that they would rename Invertigo, to Stinger and give it renovated trains with better restraints. Much like what Kentucky Kingdom did to T3.(Formerly T2) Guessing how Kentucky Kingdom ended up selling T3, 7 years after renovation that will probably not happen.

IMG_3328.jpeg

Or rename it Screamin Demon like in my concept from a few days ago

image.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

image.png

I have mixed feelings while riding Screamin’ Swings. The down swing is so much fun. The up swing on the other hand, kinda terrifying not gonna lie.

IMG_3331.gif

22 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I said this a while ago but it was a missed opportunity IMO not to rebrand Invertigo to Screamin Demon when they rebranded Flight Deck to The Bat and debuted Banshee in 2014. A repaint wouldn’t have been necessary considering some of the old Demon logo was blue-ish:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I am interested to see what the timeline will be for a new rollercoaster at Kings Island. Obviously, Kings Island is not going to get one next year (unless it is a small rollercoaster like with what Canada’s Wonderland got this year). Instead, it appears Cedar Point and Dorney Park will get the new major rollercoasters in the Cedar Fair chain for 2024.

So what about 2025? On ParkFans, there are numerous pictures of survey markings a stakes that have appeared in the past couple weeks all over the Volcano plot of land at Kings Dominion. These markings would coincide perfectly with a new 2025 rollercoaster, which seems to be what will happen. Similarly, there are a ton of markings at Canada’s Wonderland, and they are also rumored to get a major new rollercoaster for 2025. If both of these parks get major new rollercoasters in 2025, I am skeptical any other Cedar Fair parks would also see major new rollercoasters that year.

Maybe it will be 2026? I guess there is still a chance for a 2025 new rollercoaster, but we would expect to see some sort of survey markings two years in advance of a major addition. For 2025, we would have to see survey markings before the end of the summer. If a new rollercoaster is planned for The Vortex plot of land, these markings would be quite obvious. However, if a new rollercoaster is planned elsewhere in the park (like Action Zone), we may never know until active construction begins. For example, for Mystic Timbers and Orion in 2015 and 2018, since most of the would-be construction zone was in the woods, survey markings were mostly hidden. However, some markers were spotted behind The Racer late in the season in 2018. That being said, 2026 is looking increasingly likely, but I wouldn’t rule out 2025 yet.

That being said, I have heard that Kings Island’s next rollercoaster is more likely to go in Action Zone than The Vortex plot of land. I can see why this would be since Action Zone has not received attention in what will be a decade next season. Coney Mall, for comparison, last received attention in 2019. Nearby Area 72 last received attention in 2020. Rivertown last received attention in 2017. Oktoberfest/Adventure Port last received attention this year, which was long overdue. If we go based off what areas are “due” for some attention, Action Zone has been waiting the longest (2014), which is followed by Planet Snoopy (2015) and Soak City (2016). I would expect these three areas to see the most investment over the next several years. 

I haven't been on ParkFans in awhile so I just peaked on there and from the pics I saw I think there is a chance it could be for next year especially if stakes are popping up now and they are starting to clear the site. I know it isn't likely and more likely 2025 since you have Dragster and the Dorney project for 2024, but I wouldn't rule out KD completely for 2024. Another park I think should be up for a coaster soon is Carowinds as 2025 will be 6 years since Copperhead opened which is an unusual gap for Carowinds recently. I have my fingers crossed for 2025 for KI, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if a KI coaster is put on hold until 2026 or even 2027. Now if that's the case I really hope the park continues to update the park and add more flats and rethemes to existing areas and retheme older rides like they did with Adventure Express. Also where did you hear the next coaster is likely in Action Zone? It wouldn't surprise me if that was case tbh considering The Vortex plot is used for the drones right now and I have a feeling drones are here to stay with how popular FF+50 and Adventure Awaits were to the public. I think the days of just fireworks and music are long gone which isn't a bad thing. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Also where did you hear the next coaster is likely in Action Zone? It wouldn't surprise me if that was case tbh considering The Vortex plot is used for the drones right now and I have a feeling drones are here to stay with how popular FF+50 and Adventure Awaits were to the public.

The next rollercoaster going in Action Zone is really nothing more than some rumors that seem to be nothing more than speculation. I have heard. I am not a so-called “insider,” so I really have no idea where the next rollercoaster would go. However, with Kings Island hopefully going down the route of re-theming old areas with new additions as Mike Koontz indicated along with the new drone show currently occupying The Vortex plot of land, Action Zone seems like a prime contender for the park’s next coaster. Action Zone is begging for a thematic overhaul, which will likely only come with new rides.

I also think Kings Island has been focusing on areas of the park that need it more before adding to other areas. Just from reading Kings Island: A Ride Through Time, I got the impression that Mike Koontz and team prioritize areas of the park that have not seen attention in a while before focusing on other areas. Koontz’ quote that he would prefer to add something in Planet Snoopy and Soak City before replacing Vortex’s embodies this thought process. Coney Mall saw attention way more recently than Planet Snoopy or Soak City. Also, when Kings Island plans a new ride, they decide the best location for the ride, which is generally based off locations in the park where want the park wants to see an increase in foot traffic. In my opinion, Action Zone’s foot traffic has been declining ever since Banshee’s “newness” wore off. Action Zone is not dead by any means, but later in the day, areas of the park like Coney Mall and Rivertown seem to still be buzzing while most guests have already moved on from Action Zone. Coney Mall is even a bottleneck at times near Vortex’s old plot of land, but I think that is partially because of the narrow midways in that section of the park.

That being said, it all depends on how much a priority it is for Kings Island to fill The Vortex plot of land. It may very well be at the top of the park’s to-do list. However, I still think that if the next rollercoaster goes in The Vortex plot of land, then Action Zone will still see attention in the form of flat rides and a re-theme like Adventure Port. If the next rollercoaster goes elsewhere, I think it will be in Action Zone coupled with a re-theme.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Someone posted in a group on FB I’m apart of that, there are people at the SoB station. Obviously that doesn’t say much but it is interesting.

We’re there any pictures? Could it just be entertainment staff planning a new Halloween Haunt maze to replace Wolf Pack?

• Like 1