Dorney Park Project 2024

https://www.southwhitehall.com/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/1070/62?toggle=next30days

DORNEY PARK PROJECT 2024
MAJOR PLAN 2023-101
REQUEST FOR PRELIMINARY/FINAL PLAN REVIEW

An application to further develop the property located at 3830 Dorney Park Road.  The plan proposes to construct a new 161.67-foot attraction on the site of the Stinger Roller Coaster just north of the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Dorney Park Road on 2.7-acre portion the 196-acre parcel.  The property is served by public water and sewer and is zoned Commercial Recreation CR.  Dorney Park LLC is the owner and applicant.

• Like 8

It seems like both Dorney Park and Cedar Point will be getting new coasters for next year (or at least additions the parks can market as new coasters in the case of Cedar Point). It will be interesting to see if any other parks add major new rides or if we see more area rethemes. I hope we see both!

• Like 2

If you look at the color key on the first page, the design that is on that circle thing that people think is a turn table is actually a concrete pad for attraction theming. Also, it looks to have multiple of those pads for theming throughout the layout so we're likely looking at theming props during the ride. Also, they seem to be doing concrete around the ride entrance instead of pavers. In fact, the only paver part is a small little plaza across from that circle thing. Also, I'm interested in the queue layout as it looks like the queue goes back behind the haunted house and snakes back to the station. Hopefully it gets the go ahead as it looks like an exciting project. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I wish Mason posted filed blueprints online. You have to go into City Hall to get the latest updates for Kings Island’s big new attractions, so we often don’t find out about the blueprints immediately after they are filed.

I bet, for that very reason. How many fans local to  Dorney don't know about these plans yet, but we do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

It looks to be a B&M dive. Very happy for Dorney Park. They desperately need something, anything new! Walking around Dorney Park when I went in 2022 was like walking through a time warp to 2008. It felt like Kinzel had never left.

I wonder if they’re going for a 200fter like Griffon: 1-2 inversions or something under 200ft that features more inversions like Emperor.

• Like 2

Definitely keeping my eyes on this but it sounds like a whirlwind 3-park PA trip might be in the works for me next year - I've been wanting to get back to Hershey and Knoebels (haven't been to either since 2018), and Dorney is in that general vicinity as well (about 90 minutes from both Hershey and Knoebels as I recall).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well great news today! The project got a 6-0 vote to move forward by the township planners today! Also was confirmed to be a steel coaster around 161 feet tall. They also said they plan to work with a proven manufacterer and are planning on investing in sound proofing the coaster. I think this almost confirms a B&M dive tbh. 

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh-county/2023/02/south-whitehall-planners-back-new-1617-foot-high-rollercoaster-at-dorney-park.html

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I often felt bad for Dorney Park… they’re in a market where they have to compete with the likes of Hershey and Great Adventure. It’s impossible to invest anything without the fear of being outdone. Hopefully this addition will keep Dorney competitive on some level but with how popular dives are, Hershey and or Great Adventure could follow up with their own versions.

• Like 2