Seasonal help job question

jensenracing77

My daughter is graduating Highschool in late May and is somewhat interested in working a Summer at Kings Island. I would have my first year after graduating had I thought of it. My question is, does Kings Island have any housing offered to seasonal help? We are 3 hours from the park so she would have to move there for the season if she were to do this. I am not sure they would pay enough to cover housing and all the other expenses for a kid fresh out of Highschool. She has a friend that may try to get on as well so some of the cost could be shared if they were both to do this 

Thanks

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Yes they have a dorm on the north side of the property across from Great Wolf lodge.  It is a subsidized rate to live there. For 2023 Regular season it is $98/week.

That is not bad then. I looked it up and for sure walking distance. Can two people share a room and reduce that or is it that price per person even with two in the room? Just out of curiosity, What can they make in a week for a first year 18 year old? I am sure that is a loaded question with far to many options and circumstances. I think she would really enjoy this and learn some valuable life lessons. 

It is a per person rate.  Depending on their job it could be anywhere from $15-18+ per hour.   

Since the daily rate equivalent to stay in the dorms is $14/day, it is fairly easy to work enough to pay for it LOL.

Once the season starts, it is easy to work 40+ hours per week.  Again depends on department.

37 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

That is not bad then. I looked it up and for sure walking distance. Can two people share a room and reduce that or is it that price per person even with two in the room? Just out of curiosity, What can they make in a week for a first year 18 year old? I am sure that is a loaded question with far to many options and circumstances. I think she would really enjoy this and learn some valuable life lessons. 

I’m pretty sure it is two bunk beds so 4 people per room.

Thank you! I will let her know. I am not sure how serious she is but she is talking to a friend about it. I assume it would not be that hard to get on? I would think they are like everyone else and can't get enough help. I see they are having a job fair this week? She will not be able to get there this week sadly. Wish we were not 3 hours away. 

• Like 1

Working at the park is honestly an experience I'll never forget. Loved the park, the team, the events, the flexibility. Have a bias to the lifeguard team as some of the best views of the park/area were at the slide complexes. Add the fact that you work out for a living and get to be in the water for half the day, I will never forget my experiences and I still have friends of mine that I talk to this day! (Ironically enough, a few went to management at KI, many just filtered out to the Florida parks) 

Now I'm realizing it's been 10 years since my first season working at the park, I'm getting old :lol:

• Like 3

Can't speak to the dorms, but I'm info is here.

Great experience for someone in the range.  Really helped me get out of my comfort zone as a person being around different people than you grow up with.

Would recommend rides, personally.  It's the least likely group to get sent home and being 18+ is a benefit in that department.

Park Services is a good department as well, but I don't think the pay advantages that were once there still exist.

Looks like outside of this week here is your best bet:

nterviews Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 1pm-6pm and Saturdays 10am-4pm. Walk-Ins welcome!

• Like 1

I worked in Food, Park Services and Entertainment (Haunt). I love the park and enjoyed my time working there. I was in Food 5 years and Park Services 5 years, and between the two, I enjoyed Park Services more. The job may not be the most glamourous (sweeping around the park (and perhaps cleaning restrooms)), but it's great to be able to walk around the park and the department as a whole was great too. Working Haunt was awesome as well! :D I had zero scaring experince coming into the position (I don't even watch horror movies lol), but once I got in the groove, it was a ton of fun!

• Like 1

Kings Island is recruiting hard at the area schools this week.  Maybe they did this in the past but I just don't remember it.  The article says they will hire students on the spot.

Kings Island hosts job fair on-site, will be at area high schools all week

https://www.journal-news.com/news/kings-island-hosts-job-fair-on-site-will-be-at-area-high-schools-all-week/C6UYMIGAMNAR7OHVW64NNAZGWY/

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help with this. Looks like she is going to fill out the application tomorrow evening and apply for the housing. She wants to apply for a ride operator but also interested in being a lifeguard. Not sure if it expired or not but she was CPR certified. Not sure if that matters. I am very excited for her but also about to cry, lol. Seeing my oldest graduate and move 3 hours away for the summer will kill me. I guess I will have more reason to go to Kings Island, lol every weekend, lol

• Like 3

It's official, she has applied for the job. We tried to look at the application to apply for the housing just to see what the questions would be but it will not let us in. We were not going to apply till she has the job but just wanted to see what the application said. I assume they don't give access till after you are accepted for the job? 

On 2/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, jensenracing77 said:

Thanks for all the help with this. Looks like she is going to fill out the application tomorrow evening and apply for the housing. She wants to apply for a ride operator but also interested in being a lifeguard. Not sure if it expired or not but she was CPR certified. Not sure if that matters. I am very excited for her but also about to cry, lol. Seeing my oldest graduate and move 3 hours away for the summer will kill me. I guess I will have more reason to go to Kings Island, lol every weekend, lol

If she gets the job she'll get some free tickets after a certain amount of hours. Should be 8 tickets I think!

On 2/26/2023 at 8:13 PM, jensenracing77 said:

It's official, she has applied for the job. We tried to look at the application to apply for the housing just to see what the questions would be but it will not let us in. We were not going to apply till she has the job but just wanted to see what the application said. I assume they don't give access till after you are accepted for the job? 

Housing application is only for active employees, so you would have to wait until an offer was made. Then during online onboarding she will be asked if she wants to apply for housing. Just keep in mind the housing fills up pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Is there a way she can call to back up the application? If she can't get in the housing she can't do this at all. We live 3 hours away. She is excited about it and has her hopes up now so I hope it works out for her. My wife and I would not have hurt feelings, lol. Hard to let go of them even if it is only for the season.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:56 PM, WOF Guy said:

Would she consider working at Cedar Point instead? Housing is more plentiful there.

Never thought about that but her heart is set on Kings Island I suspect. She grew up going there and the park is somewhat like family to us. She has an interview coming up and is working through the process.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

Never thought about that but her heart is set on Kings Island I suspect. She grew up going there and the park is somewhat like family to us. She has an interview coming up and is working through the process.  

Best of luck to her!

• Like 3

Lol, Still a waiting game. Last week they set up a phone interview with her for today since we are 3 hours away.  She had an inpersion interview setup for today but was canceled because they set up the phone interview. They called her and said that ride operators have to apply in person only. Looks like we are driving over Saturday. I just fear that the housing will not be available by the time this all works out. Maybe I should help her explore other housing options as a backup. Just not sure she could find something affordable for a seasonal position right out of High School. I mostly want the life experiences for her in this but she has to have something left after all the expenses. I guess the process will be some experience even if it don't work out. Thanks for listening, lol. Just excited for her. 

• Like 1

It appears that I will be making a few trips to Kings Island this year to visit my daughter on some of her days off! I think I will go ahead and get season passes for my wife, other daughter and myself. If she gets the free tickets she can give those to whoever she wants and not feel obligated to give them to us. Thanks again for all the help with this. She has got it from here. She is so excited. She also knows there will be hard work and long hours at times. SHe says she is ready for it, lol. I told her that her feet will likely hurt for the first two weeks in ways she didn't know they could hurt. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

So sad, She has decided to pull out. It sank in that she is moving 3 hours away from home and she got to scared. I was worried this would happen but figured she would still go. Turns out that she will not be working there. As much as I really wanted her to get this experience, she feels she is just not ready. I even offered to come every day she has off for the first 3 weeks but she is just to scared. 

I can't thank you all enough for the help.