Food places in KI for 2023

mikejenkins1

40 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

And there are small trees, less landscaping close to the buildings, no gas lights, odd pavement layout (the black “road” is the narrowest with trees in the middle of it and there’s no “ implied curb” like at KD) so without people, yes… it oooks even more depressing. I’d personally take running the parade around the tower circle instead of down both sides of IStreet over the clear cut they did when they redid the area a few years ago. Always seemed odd to me anyway there are two show stops in the same area just on both side of the fountain. 

However, before the renovation of International Street, Kings Dominion’s version was still miles ahead of Kings Island’s. I do think International Street is better post renovations as the old pavers and color palettes did not look great. I do wish Kings Island tried to incorporate a sidewalk and more landscaping into International Street, but I suppose they wanted a wider street for better capacity. Kings Dominion gets much lower attendance than Kings Island, so the narrower International Street works fine there. Eventually, the trees should grow in, and International Street will look much better if the rest of it is well maintained. Speaking of trees, Kings Island should just plant a ton of trees throughout the park so that in 20 years, it is much more shaded than it is now. The lack of foliage will never get better without action. That area behind the Eiffel Tower and around Backlot Stunt Coaster could use A LOT of trees. Unless Kings Island plans on doing something else with that area, Kings Island should invest in trees for the future.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, brenthodge said:

And there are small trees, less landscaping close to the buildings, no gas lights, odd pavement layout (the black “road” is the narrowest with trees in the middle of it and there’s no “ implied curb” like at KD) so without people, yes… it oooks even more depressing. I’d personally take running the parade around the tower circle instead of down both sides of IStreet over the clear cut they did when they redid the area a few years ago. Always seemed odd to me anyway there are two show stops in the same area just on both side of the fountain. 

Not to hijack this thread about a subject this is disussed elsewhere, but there was no landscaping close to buildings that was removed.  The weeping fir tree at The German Building and the Japanse Maple at The Italian Building are still there, plus the large potted plants are brought out during the warm season.  Gas lamps should have came back.  The pavers they put down look so much better than the cobblestone and most of the concrete planter borders were removed.  I dont get the black pavers.  Would have been great for the implied curb.  Overall, though, with the linden trees gone, it opens up IS to look as open as it has since the early 70s.  Those trees were about 30 years old in a very harsh environment and were likely at the end of their service life.  Sucks, but it is what it is.  I'd conjecture that they have 2 show stops to get people in the shops to buy things, as it is with the stops in CM and Tower Gardens promenade.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Overall, though, with the linden trees gone, it opens up IS to look as open as it has since the early 70s.  Those trees were about 30 years old in a very harsh environment and were likely at the end of their service life.  Sucks, but it is what it is.

International street being more open has also allowed for the addition of things like the lasers or all of the moving lights. They'd hardly be visible due to the beams being blocked by the large trees. It sucks to not have as much tree cover, but it has advantages as well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Snowball said:

International street being more open has also allowed for the addition of things like the lasers or all of the moving lights. They'd hardly be visible due to the beams being blocked by the large trees. It sucks to not have as much tree cover, but it has advantages as well.

Yeah - they definitely took a page out of the Disney World "How to renovate a Hub or Main Street for Optimum Show Efficiency" handbook LOL

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

There has been no such announcement yet. Can you reference a source for that information? 

Tom and Chee's new location is now listed on the website: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining/tom-chee

And Skyline now lists only Coney Mall: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining/skyline-chili

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It wouldn’t shock me if Skyline was added to the Festhaus in some fashion. Maybe it can be served alongside LaRosa’s? I am more curious what is going to happen to the old Tom & Chee and Subway locations. I could see something like a mini Wishbone Grill replacing Tom & Chee, but something a little bigger could replace Subway.

Yeah I remember Chick Fil A being removed then returning to Cedar Point, we’ll probably see a return of Chick Fil A in the future. Removing Chick Fil A is a mistake honestly, no other restaurant in the park produces a consistent, quality product like Chick Fil A does. Whether it be hard rice from Panda Express, cardboard pizza from Larosa’s or overcooked noodles from Skyline. Food quality and consistency within the park changed season to season, but one thing that hasn’t waned has been food prices. With meals now pushing over $15 to upwards over $20 with drink, you would want the most for your buck. You never knew what you would get with the other restaurants in the park but you could always fall back on Chick Fil A.

• Like 3

Is Larosa's being removed from Fest Haus? 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining/larosas-pizza

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining/festhaus

I don't see a Fest Haus location anymore... I still see it under Fest Haus as a listing so I might just not remember if LaRosa's advertised that location under their listing.

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Tom and Chee's new location is now listed on the website: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining/tom-chee

And Skyline now lists only Coney Mall: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining/skyline-chili

Does this also mean the Soak City Skyline express is also likely gone?

Edited by wpd123

9 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It wouldn’t shock me if Skyline was added to the Festhaus in some fashion. Maybe it can be served alongside LaRosa’s? I am more curious what is going to happen to the old Tom & Chee and Subway locations. I could see something like a mini Wishbone Grill replacing Tom & Chee, but something a little bigger could replace Subway.

Subway is still there im about 92% sure. As far as Tom and Chee probably a drink stand lol 

9 hours ago, RedSummit20 said:

Subway is still there im about 92% sure. As far as Tom and Chee probably a drink stand lol 

Between someone posting a screenshot of the Subway sign removed from the webcam and the website not showing Subway as a Dining location, you may want to rethink your 92% sure LOL

Considering there is a drink stand almost right next to the old Tom+Chee, I doubt it will be another soft drink stand....  Let's see them keep open the ones they already have before adding another one LOL.

image.png

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Between someone posting a screenshot of the Subway sign removed from the webcam and the website not showing Subway as a Dining location, you may want to rethink your 92% sure LOL

Considering there is a drink stand almost right next to the old Tom+Chee, I doubt it will be another drink stand.  Let's see them keep open the ones they already have before adding another one LOL.

image.png

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/dining

lol well my 92% is more accurate than your "guess" ive seen the map for this year already....so i would say im right ;) 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, RedSummit20 said:

lol well my 92% is more accurate than your "guess" ive seen the map for this year already....so i would say im right ;) 

Then why not be 100% LOL

Didn't last years map at this time have Slingshot on it....

Can you explain away WHY they removed Subway from the website then...it has been scrubbed from every place, including obscure FAQ links.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Then why not be 100% LOL

Didn't last years map at this time have Slingshot on it....

Can you explain away WHY they removed Subway from the website then...it has been scrubbed from every place, including obscure FAQ links.

im 8% unsure cause the sign is off the building, i was told they are redoing the roof which is why  im 92% also Sling Shot has nothing to do with anything, we all know why the took it out. 

5 hours ago, RedSummit20 said:

im 8% unsure cause the sign is off the building, i was told they are redoing the roof which is why  im 92% also Sling Shot has nothing to do with anything, we all know why the took it out. 

Why did Kings Island remove SlingShot?

I will say this and maybe I will be in the minority here, but I think it would be neat to see more in house type places to eat vs chain restaurants. Not saying chain eateries are bad by any means, but I like the idea of more unique opportunity to try something that is built from within instead of something you can find down the street. And that is of course if this is the direction that is being taken. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1