Food places in KI for 2023

mikejenkins1

2 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I will say this and maybe I will be in the minority here, but I think it would be neat to see more in house type places to eat vs chain restaurants. Not saying chain eateries are bad by any means, but I like the idea of more unique opportunity to try something that is built from within instead of something you can find down the street. And that is of course if this is the direction that is being taken. 

I agree but they should keep the "true Cincinnati" like Skyline, Greaters and LaRosas.  

Places like Chic, Starbucks and Cinnebon are pretty much available everywhere.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, robintodd said:

Places like Chic, Starbucks and Cinnebon are pretty much available everywhere.  

At the very least they’re brands people know. Out of town guests who visit the park might see the places you mentioned and chose to go there because it’s something that they’re familiar with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

At the very least they’re brands people know. Out of town guests who visit the park might see the places you mentioned and chose to go there because it’s something that they’re familiar with.

Peopke need to spread their wings a bit. I’m glad those places seem to be on the way out. Personally d be fine with all franchise brands leaving, but sone people are scared of what they don’t know LOL

I'm with those that prefer original, in house options that you can't find outside the park. But I'm fine with chains that have a close connection to the park or the area. Though Skyline seemed like a waste of one of the park's few indoor dining areas.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:50 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I like the Tom And Chee but wish they offered other sides than just bag chips. Some French fries or a side salad would be perfect. 

I remember hearing that you can pay a dollar to get Mac&cheese instead? I would like some tomato soup as an option personally. The meals are definitely light when compared to other things on the meal plans.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I'm with those that prefer original, in house options that you can't find outside the park. But I'm fine with chains that have a close connection to the park or the area. Though Skyline seemed like a waste of one of the park's few indoor dining areas.

I remember hearing that you can pay a dollar to get Mac&cheese instead? I would like some tomato soup as an option personally. The meals are definitely light when compared to other things on the meal plans.

In the past I have upcharged the dining plan with tomato soup (I think it was like $2.)

28 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

Though Skyline seemed like a waste of one of the park's few indoor dining areas.

Keep in mind that based on the current webpage, the indoor Skyline seems to be gone, at least at the location we are used to....so what replaces it if true...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

sone people are scared of what they don’t know LOL

No, they just like what they like. Kinda condescending to say that people chose not to eat different things because they’re scared….maybe they like to food from chains because it’s familiar and maybe even comforting. I like to try new offerings, but I’m not going to think someone’s scared because they opted for cheese coneys over King Cobra sushi.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JubJester said:

Looks Chick-fil-A is going from a hundred people per hour at Kings Island to fifty people per game at GABP:

I’m thinking the reason they’re no longer in CP or KI is because of Cedar Fair. 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:16 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

Why did Kings Island remove SlingShot?

It's speculation on my part, but I think it just wasn't making them much money anymore.

2005: Paid a crew of three $5 an hour and charged usually $10-15 to ride.

2021: Paid a crew of three $13-15 an hour and still charged around $15 to ride.

This coupled with decreased ridership due to age and the better rides now available leads me to believe it wasn't making much of a profit, if at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KI Guy said:

It's speculation on my part, but I think it just wasn't making them much money anymore.

2005: Paid a crew of three $5 an hour and charged usually $10-15 to ride.

2021: Paid a crew of three $13-15 an hour and still charged around $15 to ride.

This coupled with decreased ridership due to age and the better rides now available leads me to believe it wasn't making much of a profit, if at all.

Then why did they paint it before the start of the 22 season but then not open it....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Then why did they paint it before the start of the 22 season but then not open it....

It may have been that the approval to paint came before the decision came down to close it. A different person may have decided to remove it than the one who decided to re-paint it.

If SlingShot was losing money the re-paint was a small sunk cost and running it at a loss wasn't going to help anything.

I came across the post on Reddit. A lot of this stuff we already knew, but this confirms that Grain and Grill is replacing Skyline on International Street and a new ICEE stand is replacing Tom and Chee. That is, if the post is true. Nothing was mentioned about the Subway locations, which is interesting. A lot of people are claiming the Subways are not leaving and that the one in Coney Mall is just getting a new roof, so maybe Subway is staying after all. One user in here even claimed it was on Kings Island’s 2023 park map. It being removed from Kings Island’s website makes doubtful, though.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 11:02 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I came across the post on Reddit. A lot of this stuff we already knew, but this confirms that Grain and Grill is replacing Skyline on International Street and a new ICEE stand is replacing Tom and Chee. That is, if the post is true. Nothing was mentioned about the Subway locations, which is interesting. A lot of people are claiming the Subways are not leaving and that the one in Coney Mall is just getting a new roof, so maybe Subway is staying after all. One user in here even claimed it was on Kings Island’s 2023 park map. It being removed from Kings Island’s website makes doubtful, though.

Of all the restaurants to keep, Subway wouldn't be my choice

• Like 1

The Kings Island website still shows the Winterfest map.  Not sure I would trust the physical map since it was likely sent to the printers several weeks ago and could be out of date.

Subway has been removed from both the website and the mobile app, if you try going to the old page directly it redirects you to the dining page instead of a 404 error.  The FAQ listing for the dining plan which lists restaurants you can use the dining plan at and what meals you can get had Subway removed as well, someone scrubbed the website of any reference to Subway as far as I can tell.  My guess is Subway is gone, just like the sign from the building.

On a side note, the FAQ still lists “Dinosaurs Alive! Caveman Chicken Wings“ under Wishbone Grill.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I should have grabbed a photo, but Tom and Chee in the old chick fil a location looks no where close to ready to open.

The sign just says “Coming”… The menu board are up (two dining plan options are unchanged), but the interior looks completely bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chuck norris said:

I should have grabbed a photo, but Tom and Chee in the old chick fil a location looks no where close to ready to open.

The sign just says “Coming”… The menu board are up (two dining plan options are unchanged), but the interior looks completely bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KIC got you covered.

PXL_20230414_165739456.jpg

PXL_20230414_165742861.jpg

• Like 2

It will be interesting how having only 1 Skyline is received.  The Bengals just named Skyline their official chili which will add to it's popularity especially with out of town guests who are fans fo the Bengals.  In my opinion if they knew Subway was going away they should have moved Tom & Chee there and used the old Chick building for another Skyline location.  Maybe this is something they can do for next year if the demand is there this season.  IS Skyline ALWAYS had a line especially at the end of the night.  With a location at the old Chick building they could have absorbed that business in much the same way.

We'll have to wait and see.....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, robintodd said:

It will be interesting how having only 1 Skyline is received.  The Bengals just named Skyline their official chili which will add to it's popularity especially with out of town guests who are fans fo the Bengals.  In my opinion if they knew Subway was going away they should have moved Tom & Chee there and used the old Chick building for another Skyline location.  Maybe this is something they can do for next year if the demand is there this season.  IS Skyline ALWAYS had a line especially at the end of the night.  With a location at the old Chick building they could have absorbed that business in much the same way.

We'll have to wait and see.....

Like some others have posted i think the issue with reusing the chic-fil-a building is that Skyline's kitchen is usually set up cafeteria style and Chick-fil-A is not. It's a lot of remodeling for not a lot of gain. What they really need to put in this stupid mobile ordering system so they can just text me when the food is ready and set up a second pickup window. 

I will say, based on my experience on pass holder preview day, it took me twenty minutes to get my food at Skyline in Coney mall.  The way the area is set up at the pick up window is a mess.  Hopefully they get into the swing of things and can make the food there quicker.  Otherwise, I agree a second location would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1