PKI's Local Competitors

italianchef

There is no question that PKI, which draws over 3 million guests annually, is the largest tourist attraction on Greater Cincinnati. However, I am curious to which does better, The Beach Water Park or Coney Island. If anyone knows which of the two smaller parks does better and has stats to provide, I would be most appreciative.

Have a groovy day!

Italian Chef

:chef:

I would have to say Coney Island since The Beach auctioned all the water slides and is now closing. Dont for get about Strikers Grove which houses 2 small coaster im talking small and some carvial flats.

I think you are getting The Beach and Surf Cincinnati mixed up. The Beach hasn't auctioned any of their slides and isn't closing. However, Surf Cincinnati has closed and has auctioned off their land.

I know this isn't exactly local, but I would consider Disney World a bigger competitor than Coney Island. A lot of people make yearly trips down there, but only go to Coney Island for company picnics, conventions, etc. Unless you're into carnival style flats, Coney Island just isn't appealing.

Also, it's a shame that no one goes to Americana anymore. I realize that you can never tell which seasons it's going to be opened or closed or under new management or whatever, but they have a killer John A. Miller wooden called the "Screachin' Eagle" there. The layout is very similar to The Racers, but I think the Screachin' Eagle is a lot more fun.

yeah, for me, disney is the competitor for my bucks... I go every year. the last time back in august, something went amiss on the twilight zone tower of terror while we were on it (luckily at the end of the ride) and we were ushered through the "backstage area" and directly loaded on to the next elevator: gotta love those occasional breakdowns...:P

the only time I go to coney island is to see jimmy buffett...

-fleegle

strickers grove is a park in ross ohio, located on st. route 128. It has two wood coasters, "The Tornado" and "The Teddy Bear" both built by Ralph Stricker himself. I beleive he is the only civillian ever to build is own full scale wooden coasters.

I grew up at this park, my family used to work the consessions area and sell food while company picnics were going on.... it was a great way for us to fund our summer vacations. I dont know if they still let people come in and do that or not. I dont exactly remember what the deal with that was...

The coasters are great, and the park has lots of classic flats, but i really dont think that it poses much competition to PKI strictly because of the fact that it is mostly a private park. Its open all summer to company picnics and stuff, but only open to the public 2 or 3 days a year. The 4th of july, and like the second saturday of august or something like that....

I think that the beach is more competition to PKI than coney, just because it is directly across the street. Coney seems to be a place for families with small children to go and enjoy a "pay per ride" kind of day, and relax at a pool at the same time... also, a lot of company's rent it out for picnics, so people only make their trips there once a year.... Thats my opinion, hope its valued!

Edit: Dropzone, the food was not always free. it may have been on public days, but i'm not really sure.

• 2 weeks later...