Parking lot lights

BoddaH1994

Since only you guys would care…

A friend of mine works in Mason and said that they are currently installing new parking lot lights at KI. My guess is that they are installing LEDs, but hopefully they are adding lights so they don’t need the temporary diesel lights in sections anymore. I’ll let you know more if/when I find out. 

• Like 9

• BoddaH1994 changed the title to Parking lot lights
2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Since only you guys would care…

A friend of mine works in Mason and said that they are currently installing new parking lot lights at KI. My guess is that they are installing LEDs, but hopefully they are adding lights so they don’t need the temporary diesel lights in sections anymore. I’ll let you know more if/when I find out. 

About dang time,, they need to INSTALL  more and REPLACE what they have now, and finish paving the lot lol

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

My guess is that they are installing LEDs...

My guess is they are installing permanent urban teen fight deterrent lights to replace the temporary ones.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Stoan said:

Now to hope for lot covering solar, like the zoo

Ki will never go solar, lol you know how much they would need to INVEST to power all the lights, then re run the wires, add new lights, as cool as that would be, i HIGHLY doubt it. 

• Like 1

If the angle to the south is doable, they could make the entire parking lot a solar farm, and by partnering with the electrical supplier, pass some of that expense to them.  This would benefit patrons by having somewhat shaded parking, the park by being able to take advantage of net metering and tax breaks (I am not sure what it is for commercial users, but for residential users, it is a 30% credit to your tax bill), and the electric supplier by reducing the strain on the local grid.  It's not often that an open area the size of KI's lot in an urban area is open.

Possible? Yes.

Likely? Probably not in the foreseeable future.

Disclaimer:  I have a solar array on my farm that provides 100% of my electricity needs.  My views could be biased .

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RedSummit20 said:

Ki will never go solar, lol you know how much they would need to INVEST to power all the lights, then re run the wires, add new lights, as cool as that would be, i HIGHLY doubt it. 

Six Flags Great Adventure, which is roughly the same size as KI, runs on solar power. If they can do it, I don't see why KI couldn't.

More: https://www.nj.com/news/2019/06/six-flags-is-now-one-of-worlds-1st-solar-powered-theme-parks-more-clean-energy-is-on-the-way.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Six Flags Great Adventure, which is roughly the same size as KI, runs on solar power. If they can do it, I don't see why KI couldn't.

More: https://www.nj.com/news/2019/06/six-flags-is-now-one-of-worlds-1st-solar-powered-theme-parks-more-clean-energy-is-on-the-way.html

Thats Six Flags, this is Cedar Fair..lol 

14 minutes ago, zac2211 said:

Isn't Six Flags the one who is notorious for being cheap? If Six Flags would make an investment like that, CF absolutely could.

Not sure what a video has to do with anything,,,and yeah im sure they could, but WOULD they, probably not. 

In PA, the company I work for recently installed LED lights in the parking lot.

Aside from being able to read a book at night, the ROI was only 20 months- energy cost savings, maintenance cost, and rebate for going from regular lights to LED were all MASSIVE.

AND the lifespan of LED is almost triple that of regular bulbs.

• Like 1

It also appears that the lines were repainted across the entire parking lot. The good news is that people will actually be able to park in a spot on busy days as the lines have been very faded in recent years in some parts of the parking lot. The bad news is that we probably won’t see any repaving in the near future.

21 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If the angle to the south is doable, they could make the entire parking lot a solar farm, and by partnering with the electrical supplier, pass some of that expense to them.  This would benefit patrons by having somewhat shaded parking, the park by being able to take advantage of net metering and tax breaks (I am not sure what it is for commercial users, but for residential users, it is a 30% credit to your tax bill), and the electric supplier by reducing the strain on the local grid.  It's not often that an open area the size of KI's lot in an urban area is open.

Possible? Yes.

Likely? Probably not in the foreseeable future.

Disclaimer:  I have a solar array on my farm that provides 100% of my electricity needs.  My views could be biased .

The Cincinnati Zoo did this in the early 2010s and it looks like they’re going to do it again

BBF20EA8-BC63-41AE-8D8A-F996EBEBC4BA.png

https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/solar/28-mw-solar-project-coming-to-cincinnati-zoo/#gref

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

In PA, the company I work for recently installed LED lights in the parking lot.

Aside from being able to read a book at night, the ROI was only 20 months- energy cost savings, maintenance cost, and rebate for going from regular lights to LED were all MASSIVE.

AND the lifespan of LED is almost triple that of regular bulbs.

Hopefully they put in some good fixtures and make it so the lights only point down at like 120 degrees or so, no need for more light pollution in the sky. Nothing needs to be lit up up there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 2:33 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

New video recently put out about the new lighting: 

Thank goodness we got those lights to shine 200 feet up, now I can see all the air up there, and less stars.

Aside from that, they really did need better lights. And a better parking lot, perhaps even a tram.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, rlentless said:

Didn't get to go this weekend but did anyone notice a huge difference with parking lot?  Nicer??

Visited the park yesterday as a guest, we parked in employee parking and the lighting was much better than it used to be. The light is brighter and spreads a lot further. I imagine the regular lot is the same way.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

I’m surprised this hasn’t been done by more amusement parks.

Don't worry, new for 2024 will be the all new Solar Panel season long add-on that is exclusive to Prestige pass holders who will purchase to finance said infrastructure :P 

And then to ensure the bait and switch is complete, they will arrive to the park in 2024 to find that the solar panels cover the entire lot except for the Preferred Parking :P

• Haha 3