Overhauling Backlot Stunt Coaster?

SonofBaconator

I put this in the ”Rumors” section because of past alterations to coasters. In 2014, the park rethemed Flight Deck to The Bat to tie in with Banshee and to bring back nostalgia for the original Bat. In 2019 The Beast trains were repainted to resemble their original color scheme; not a huge modification but still a visual change. In 2022 Racer was repainted back to its 1970s colors. In 2023 we see that Adventure Express is getting some work done thematically and Diamondback got a pretty significant paint job….

Now regarding coasters, Backlot has always seemed to be the elephant in the room. When it was the Italian Job Stunt Track, the ride was completely themed to the films’s chase scene. Now with the rights gone, the ride just takes up a generic stunt coaster theme. I know there are those who would like to see it go but I argue it’s too popular of an attraction with families to be taken out. That being said, do you think the park will overhaul Backlot Stunt Coaster into something different or at least make modifications to it?

• Like 5

I think the ride is a great fit for younger children and those who need an in between ride, I do agree the location of the ride is one of the worst in the park. I think it would be a good idea to relocate it elsewhere in the park, now for where, I don't entirely know but I think relocating it would allow for a new theme to be easily overlayed since you could start new with the theming. It's a small enough ride that it should be relatively easy to relocate and retheme.

• Like 2

It would be very hard to justify any investment above standard maintenance.

It was a [much] less than spectacular ride even in April 2005. Its theming has been a shadow of even that disappointment for 17 seasons this year.

Even so, I don't see it being removed soon unless it's costing them a lot of money in maintenance and operating costs (anyone know?).

After The Vortex plot is filled, and Action Zone is re-done, they may choose to address it.*

* Or maybe even Flight of Fear which is 27 years old.

• Like 3

At this point, I would much rather see the park give Backlot the axe more than anything else. It is not very "tall people friendly", it is almost a SIX style eye sore and just doesn't do much for me overall. I think the park would be wise in reinstalling what was previously there (which would give the park dupes to keep lines down) and would give some character back to a part of the park that has been lacking for decades now. I think this way adults (like yours truly) don't feel so weird about riding the scooters, as I along with most of my friends refused to ride after the inaugural year. and a way to flesh out what is currently a very bland part of the park. 

We could very easily see a modern launch coaster come to the old Vortex plot, AZ congo/Invertigo or backlot behind Banshee in the near/distant future so the lack of a 2000's premier isn't that hard on me. 

• Like 3

If Backlot did get a revamp, I would love to see spinning cars and/or motorcyle trains added (with a possible retheme, or course).

Will that happen? Probably not, but I could see the ride be given some kind of TLC once The Vortex plot is filled.

• Like 3

The part of me that remembers growing up at KI in the 90's and early 2000's loves Backlot as it is, as it's basically the only remaining remnant of that era, for better or worse. The rest of me had a daydream the other day of Backlot being removed and a new Swan Lake being put in its place as part of a reimagining of that area, in preparation for whatever is coming to Vortex's plot of land.

I like the thought of it getting a full retheme, though. Even post-Mystic, I'm not holding my breath that Cedar Fair would give it the Verbolten-esque theming it would need... but it's a nice thought.

Genuinely curious: If y'all had to choose between getting a Vortex replacement first or getting a top-to-bottom retheme of Backlot first, which one would you choose?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Genuinely curious: If y'all had to choose between getting a Vortex replacement first or getting a top-to-bottom retheme of Backlot first, which one would you choose?

I think it depends on how long the expected life of the coaster is.  If it will stick around for another 20 years, i think a two year project that renovates BLSC in year one and revitalizes the area and then The Vortex replacement the next year would be feasible.  I think the future of a BLSC retheme will be determined by what the do with the one at KD and their new themed area.

• Like 2

Forgive my crude Snapchat edit. I think if they ripped out the squad cars, containers, billboards, rocks, etc and planted arborvitaes throughout the course of the ride, it would be somewhat reminiscent of what the land used to look like pre 2005 and give off a Hagrid’s vibe where riders are wizzing past trees. Of course there would have to be changes to the tunnel and such but I think this would be loads better.

8DEB99A6-8CC4-4592-8FBE-D6BCC5E681F5.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

If Backlot did get a revamp, I would love to see spinning cars and/or motorcyle trains added (with a possible retheme, or course).

Will that happen? Probably not, but I could see the ride be given some kind of TLC once The Vortex plot is filled.

Horse themed motorcycle style cars (like Steeplechase at Luna Park) are what I've always envisioned for a reimagining of the ride. Taking out the current theming and giving it a landscaped look like Sonofbaconator proposed would look great and with the horse style trains it would fit in well with both Rivertown and Coney Mall.

4 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Personally I'd vote for a Vortex replacement as it would be something new. But if they did do both, I think it would make more sense to improve the midway/BLSC first and prepare everything for the new coaster and plaza so everything was ready for the increased guest flow in that area when the new coaster opened.

• Like 1

I could see that horse theme working, pay tribute to the horse industry in neighboring Kentucky.

Or perhaps with The Vortex replacement coaster, you turn the re-imagined Stunt Coaster into part of rivertown and with the horse theme, turn it into a western horse chase theme with a chase down the mine shaft to get the "bad guys" after the mid course stop.

At any rate, I 'd hate to see the ride go, I think its an important "tween" coaster for the kids who have reached 48" but are not too keen on heights or inversions (though with Vortex gone I don' think there are any 48" inversions left in the park)

• Like 4

Yea I agree with others the location isn't great, but I have always thought it was a fun coaster and a great intermediate one for people building up to bigger coasters. I do think just changing the thematic scenery and sprucing up the area would change the opinion of the coaster a lot.

3 hours ago, purdude86 said:

Horse themed motorcycle style cars (like Steeplechase at Luna Park) are what I've always envisioned for a reimagining of the ride. Taking out the current theming and giving it a landscaped look like Sonofbaconator proposed would look great and with the horse style trains it would fit in well with both Rivertown and Coney Mall.

Considering Zamperla has been working with CF recently, it would be cool to see if they could look into horse cars for BLSC. They gave Knott’s Pony Express which is similar to BLSC in some ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Considering Zamperla has been working with CF recently, it would be cool to see if they could look into horse cars for BLSC. They gave Knott’s Pony Express which is similar to BLSC in some ways.

I dont consider PE anything like the Junkyard Coaster.  But they could do a nice lead car with horses and the other two cars as wagons.

On 3/12/2023 at 5:24 PM, KI Guy said:

It would be very hard to justify any investment above standard maintenance.

It was a [much] less than spectacular ride even in April 2005. Its theming has been a shadow of even that disappointment for 17 seasons this year.

Even so, I don't see it being removed soon unless it's costing them a lot of money in maintenance and operating costs (anyone know?).

After The Vortex plot is filled, and Action Zone is re-done, they may choose to address it.*

* Or maybe even Flight of Fear which is 27 years old.

I both agree and disagree.

The concept video was pretty meh. 

The final product didn’t live up to the concept video.

It wasn’t all bad though. I remember that the visuals of the working headlights shooting beams into the fog in the tunnel was really cool. The exploding water barrels were really cool too. 

Two weeks later we basically had what we have now, except it still had the splashdown. Still better than KD, which doesn’t have fire anymore. I’m actually shocked the KI still has it. 

IJST was my first coaster media day being involved with (P)KIC so if they got rid of it I’d shed a tear for a moment then get over it. 

That space could be WAY better utilized but… without shopping out of my own pocked, it is a very good transitional ride, much like AE. There is a value there. As long as they can run that ride then they will. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 12:46 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Forgive my crude Snapchat edit. I think if they ripped out the squad cars, containers, billboards, rocks, etc and planted arborvitaes throughout the course of the ride, it would be somewhat reminiscent of what the land used to look like pre 2005 and give off a Hagrid’s vibe where riders are wizzing past trees. Of course there would have to be changes to the tunnel and such but I think this would be loads better.

8DEB99A6-8CC4-4592-8FBE-D6BCC5E681F5.jpeg

I would rather they do something like this to Backlot.  They could add in the trees and take away the cityscape.  They could make this kind of a mine train theme and make the tunnels the "mine" section.  

26 minutes ago, Skibum said:

I would rather they do something like this to Backlot.  They could add in the trees and take away the cityscape.  They could make this kind of a mine train theme and make the tunnels the "mine" section.  

If they had the cost to change the train, Scenery, And special effects throughout the ride.

• Like 1

I remember thinking it was a pretty cool ride when it opened. I then found myself riding it less and less to the point of skipping it all together most seasons due to the lack of overall lackluster experience ( IMO ) it now gives paired with long lines. 

I found my short stint owning a real Mini Cooper S to be far more thrilling :P but it too has gone to the way side from my life sadly. 

If the park does decide to give it some form of an overhaul, I feel that could only do it more justice than leaving it in it's current state-that is unless it's slated for the great scrapyard in the sky soon. Time will tell I suppose. 

My kids enjoy Backlot, but they'll eventually outgrow it. I think it's...fine, but unless we're there on a day with a low wait time, we tend to steer clear of this one. I wouldn't be sad if they just cut it. 

While I don't mind the ride, I think it's an aesthetic disaster. A nice expanse of green space and fountains -- maybe a nice restaurant or something -- would look great behind the Eiffel Tower. Instead, one of the most picturesque locations in the park has shipping containers, helicopters and fire ruining the landscape. I know the space is too valuable to not put some large-style attraction there, but ugh, it's almost as much of an eyesore as the Crypt box. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:23 AM, TombRaiderFTW said:

Vortex first then Backlot.

If you retheme Backlot in say 2026 and get a Vortex replacement in say 2028, you’re going to see some attention pulled from Backlot. 

Now, if you replace Vortex first then let Backlot age, you could treat the potential retheme as filler- similar to what Adventure Express was in 2023. 

Now what do you consider a top-to-bottom retheme? Would you simply swap out the props like the cop cars and city scape for something different, or would you go further and alter the trains on top of retheming?

AKeep the ride as is as far as layout. Put new shells on the train. Whatever theme is chosen, get rid of the billboards, police cars, shipping containers and excessive rip rap.  Install landscaping. Reconfigure the entrance plaza. Move the basketball game somewhere else and move the flyers from Snoop to their old location even though they're not the same ones. Come up with a master plan for the entire area... That would include the future Vortex replacement. Or just leave it as is until it reaches the end of its service life and remove it and read the entire area between the Eiffel Tower and The Vortex walkway.

44 minutes ago, OverlandTaxis30 said:

Because of it’s proximity to the Eiffel Tower, theme the ride to Paris, repaint the cars to resemble French taxi cabs and rename the ride itself, “Les Taxis.” 

It is not what I would want to do myself. But it is a more realistic option.

That is a great idea.

• Like 4