Tomb Raider Building

HutchCrew

What should be done with Tomb Raider Building?

1. Put in a launch dark coaster similar to Outer Limits

2. Put In a ride similar to disneys soarin and flight of the avatar

3. Tear it down
4. Other

My vote would be number 2. It has the space to be something really cool like Soarin and Flight of the Avatar in disney. Love to hear your thoughts! Come on Kings Island that queue is too cool to waste!

Edited by HutchCrew
  • Like 2

Welcome to KIC! Being that you are new here, make sure you check and see if this is being discussed elsewhere. By all means, feel free to add to the discussion there. There are some great members here and the mods are top notch. 

As far as what to do with the old Crypt building, I would personally like to see a dark ride go in there, but I don't really think it's large enough for something like Flight of Fear. I do, however, wonder if something similar to Laff Track at Hersheypark could fit.

• Like 2

2, if not 3.

Think a Soarin’ type simulator would be great fun for family’s and be another attraction to do when it’s raining and add to Winterfest.

if they do tear it down, I hope they keep the queue. Have always thought it could work well rethemed as a mine leading up to either an indoor attraction or a major outdoor flat like a Screamin’ Swing.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I'm talking about a REAL arcade, perhaps even a bar/arcade. I'm thinking something straight out of the 90s on steroids.

If you're ever wanting to go somewhere like this, Arcade Legacy in Sharonville is incredible. $10 for unlimited play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Snowball said:

If you're ever wanting to go somewhere like this, Arcade Legacy in Sharonville is incredible. $10 for unlimited play.

They just opened that location, I agree, it's definitely worth the trip. A sure blast from the past with hours of enjoyment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

Dark Ride Data Base did talk to Vekoma about the future of the Madhouse. They confirmed that another one is being built in a theme park. It's either Kings Island or Legoland California will get there's.

What is dark ride data base? You have to site a source with these claims.

• Like 1

Even though I love and miss with a passion TRTR, it's time to pull that bandaid and just remove it. But... At the same time KI is in DESPERATE need of a thrilling dark ride and the building is there. 

KI is lacking in the inversion department right now, only 3 coasters in the park have inversions so I'd love to see a thrill ride that includes inversions.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Even though I love and miss with a passion TRTR, it's time to pull that bandaid and just remove it. But... At the same time KI is in DESPERATE need of a thrilling dark ride and the building is there. 

KI is lacking in the inversion department right now, only 3 coasters in the park have inversions so I'd love to see a thrill ride that includes inversions.

I’m not sure what that building can hold that would accomplish this that isn’t what used to already be in there. 

The DarKoaster building is 4 times the size of what we have. I argue unless they have another flat ride to put in that building, tear it down.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I’m not sure what that building can hold that would accomplish this that isn’t what used to already be in there. 

The DarKoaster building is 4 times the size of what we have. I argue unless they have another flat ride to put in that building, tear it down.

Also the park has moved on from it's show building aesthetics back when it was Paramount. Other than Diamondback, each new attraction has made it's corresponding area beautiful without many ugly sightlines. That building has DB right over the entrance to the cave, plus I think having it removed would allow WWC entrance to have some air to breathe and most importantly, open up the area for expansion.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

Also the park has moved on from it's show building aesthetics back when it was Paramount. Other than Diamondback, each new attraction has made it's corresponding area beautiful without many ugly sightlines. That building has DB right over the entrance to the cave, plus I think having it removed would allow WWC entrance to have some air to breathe and most importantly, open up the area for expansion.

I still think a water ride would go nicely in that patch of grass next to Diamondback’s second hill.

1A949EF9-AD73-4B0F-873A-DE22C6954C54.png

F8F89643-7DA2-4AAE-86C6-3AEECD64A81B.png

That would still allow the park to put something new where the building is and fill in some of that open land without having to tear into the woods.

• Like 4

It just kinda sucks that at this time there are at least three major spots that could use some love-the old TR:TR building, Vortex plot and the FX Theater. Hopefully some life will be breathed into them soon. 

A new dark ride experience would definitely be awesome, but I am also fine with them tearing it down if it makes way for something else instead of the empty box/sad entry way of what once was.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

It just kinda sucks that at this time there are at least three major spots that could use some love-the old TR:TR building, Vortex plot and the FX Theater. Hopefully some life will be breathed into them soon. 

A new dark ride experience would definitely be awesome, but I am also fine with them tearing it down if it makes way for something else instead of the empty box/sad entry way of what once was.

+ Boo Blasters. That was looking pretty rough towards the end of last summer. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see a quality dark ride in there if they could also theme the outside of the building so it doesn't look like a giant box. Although, honestly, the worst thing is just walking past the sealed-up TR/Crypt entrance, which is just a constant reminder of the vacant real estate. And I think a previous poster is right -- I don't know that the building can host much more than what it had before without major renovations. 

I say just tear it down. Put up a nice little log flume/water ride there to harken back to the days of KCKC and reinvigorate the Rivertown feels. 

Also agree that something needs to be done with FX Theater. Just tear that one out. I know they're keeping a lot of these places for Haunts. Maybe it's just my perspective as a non-Haunts person, but it always looks a bit trashy just to keep a building standing so they can use it for one month in the fall. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

I'd love to see a quality dark ride in there if they could also theme the outside of the building so it doesn't look like a giant box. Although, honestly, the worst thing is just walking past the sealed-up TR/Crypt entrance, which is just a constant reminder of the vacant real estate. And I think a previous poster is right -- I don't know that the building can host much more than what it had before without major renovations. 

I say just tear it down. Put up a nice little log flume/water ride there to harken back to the days of KCKC and reinvigorate the Rivertown feels. 

Also agree that something needs to be done with FX Theater. Just tear that one out. I know they're keeping a lot of these places for Haunts. Maybe it's just my perspective as a non-Haunts person, but it always looks a bit trashy just to keep a building standing so they can use it for one month in the fall. 

I agree, even with a good ride in there the big box feels out of place. I think the queue structure is fine to stay but tear down the large box and put in a thrilling flat like a Screamin' Swing (preferred option) or a water ride. Retheme the queue structure to a mine and it will fit the area fine.

I also agree about keeping buildings along a midway there solely for a haunt, but FX theatre I'm not that worried about. It is pretty well hidden away by The Racer and is only really visible while riding it. Ones like Killmart right along the Coney midway or Madame Fatale's building are the bigger issue to me since they are in clear view just walking around. I feel they are likely kept for budget reasons overall. Not just as far as being able to leave a maze set up for Haunt but it also costs money to tear it down, and they would need to spend more money on something to fill the spot (new attraction or landscaping). So they probably view it as a cost cutting measure to just leave the buildings standing until they are absolutely ready to do something with that spot.

• Like 2

The interior queue structure would be perfect to change from a cave to a mine shaft entrance, and remove the big box for a proper Rivertown-fitting ride.

I wonder if Gravity Group could build something like Indiana Beach's Lost Coaster using a steel structure and prefab track themed to carts on an abandoned mine track...

• Like 2

It's a huge investment in those building just to tear them down.  But I agree something should be done with them.  I always wonder what the decision makers in their "War Room" (planning) of what ideas come up to do with them.  If anything ever came close to happening.

• Like 1