Should KI allow body-mounted POVs

Captain Nemo

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/faq/

7th question down. 

I am pretty okay with BGTB's procedure regarding self mounted cameras and it seems it wouldn't be hard to implement at other parks who might have a change of heart.  As long as the park has a standardized procedure for allowing this to be done safely, I'm a-okay with people taking POV's themselves.  

I'll possibly see it in practice as I'm going to BGW this summer.  

• Like 1

I think CF only allows mounted POVs.
Checking Kings Island POVs on YouTube, I see that professional influencers (Those that get all POVs with park approval) created POVs by mounting the camera to the train itself. There are no body cam created footage that I can find. I did notice some POVs on Youtube (will not link due to TOS) were done with glasses/sunglasses.
This does beg the question, Technically Glasses are allowed on rides but the rules state: 

For safety reasons, on-ride photography of any kind is prohibited on all rides except the Eiffel Tower and the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad. Due to the potential for water damage, White Water Canyon, Congo Falls and Race for Your Life Charlie Brown riders should leave their cameras and other valuable items with a non-rider or in a locker. Use of camera phones or any type of photography or video recording devices is prohibited in any rest room or Soak City changing area.

Guests taking pictures or video while riding will be asked to leave the park with no refund given and may be cited with a misdemeanor under ORC 993.08.

So this would make any footage captured on said glasses against park policy (even if glasses are allowed on the ride). So you could be ejected for recording footage even though the glasses are allowed in the park and the ride? Is it the footage that's the issue?

The only legit POVs are provided by the park. They do not allow influencers to do POVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

The only legit POVs are provided by the park. They do not allow influencers to do POVs.

They did for Mystic Timbers media day in a roundabout way.  They had a train mounted camera and legitimate media did their work.  On the filler trips, "influencers" could sit in those rows and obtain copies from an SD card to use on their socials.  Still official, I guess.

17 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

There is at least one exception to this that I am aware of, Theme Park Review.  TPR has been allowed to film their own POV's at Kings Island on multiple occasions, the majority of them were not filmed on a Media Day.  Many of them have been posted to their YouTube channel.  Just like the parks POV's the cameras are always hard mounted to the train, nothing is being held by or attached to a rider, some of them do have riders on the train, but not all of them.  They even have some 360 degree videos and frequently they film them from multiple angles, for instance Orion was shot from both the front and back row of the train.

Filming on the majority of the rides at Kings Island is only allowed with the permission and assistance of the park.  I don't see a good reason to change that policy.  The POV's filmed by the park or with the assistance of the park are going to be higher quality than anything your going to be capturing.

• Like 1

If it were as simple as the park's POV being of higher quality, then why are people still willing to film them?  There's something more to this than what you guys are assuming.  I feel this shouldn't devolve into 'just because KI doesn't allow it we should stop talking about it'.  

I pose the questions again- what do you who are against it think of the parks that do allow it?  Would you patronize them?  If KI suddenly allowed them, would you patronize KI? If its shown that it can be implemented safely, would you reconsider? I'm genuinely curious. 

The link I posted to BGTB's FAQ had a pretty reasonable way to accommodate POV's to me.  Parks, to me, aren't that against them or else they'd go to YouTube to scrub them all, and yet, there are dozens of POV's of practically every coaster and people still watch, even the low quality ones.  

I'm not for or against non park povs.  I think we should respect the rules the park has, just as we support the park's policy on drones. 

If ki allowed it of course I would still go.  It's not a hill to die on. As a matter of fact, I did a pov at a park that allowed it.  It was done safely. But it was not because I wanted YouTube clicks, it's just my own personal thing, stored somewhere on a Google server. 

I think though, as park fans, we should respect park rules.  And pray that we have the wisdom to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can and the wisdom to know we cannot change this.

Edited by BeeastFarmer
Clarify
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TheRickster said:

I mean 90% of POVs are garbage anyway. They need to be mounted to the train or else it's just way to shaky anyway.

Not necessarily, the footage on the 360 camera I captured at BGT was amazing, felt like footage out of a commercial. 

Again, it was done with body mounting gear.

• Like 1