GRAIN AND GRILL NEW FOR 2023

RedSummit20

I tried the beef, got two slices that were not much thicker than lunch meat. I got to say I was quite underwhelmed. The meat was dry, the potatoes were okay, I've got to say, the bread was the best part. I was hoping this would be a go-to restaurant for me, but it's not looking good so far.

PXL_20230514_203056666.jpg

• Like 2

I got the beef last week.  It was one thick slice.  It was not good. At least the thinner slices might be chewable lol.   The brussel sprouts were not good either and I thought the were decent when Coney BBQ had them.    The naan was cold and garlicky. Not a good combination.    As good as this restaurant is at Kings Dominion, it misses the mark at KI.  But that seems to be the norm comparing KD food service to KI.  

The menu at Coney BBQ just seems to consist of the lowest cost meet they can find. No brisket. No ribs.   They even eliminated the vegan sausage  

KI good service still stands as one of the worst in the chain.   Even Cedar Point has finally surpassed it. 

It's these types of posts showing the inconsistent quality of these in-house offerings that shows why having chain restaurants in the park are still important to some people.  Whether you like or not Skyline or LaRosa's or Subway or Chic-Fil-A, those that do like it at least know with a smaller dispersion of what to expect when ordering compared to the in-house offerings.  I quit getting Chicken Shack for example because more times than not the chicken was unchewable.  

For guests not on the meal plan, forking out almost $20 for two deli thin pieces of meat or an unchewable piece of meat isn't worth it.  At least at Skyline or Chic they knew what they were getting.  Sure it may costs more than outside of the park, but they know what they are getting.

I think @KIghostguynailed it perfectly when he said Grain & Grill is a perfect meal plan restaurant.  Those with a meal plan will be less likely to get completely upset and complain to guest services over the meals mentioned above, whereas the once a year guest will make a beeline to Guest Services to complain about the quality and small portion for $20.

• Like 4

I tried Grain and Grill yesterday for the first time and got the beef and the two pieces I got were a little thicker and very similar to the cut of the old tri tip over at Coney BBQ.  I got the focaccia and perogies and thought everything was good.  The focaccia was the best of the the three.  The meat was a little dry but overall I was pleased with the meal.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I tried the beef, got two slices that were not much thicker than lunch meat. I got to say I was quite underwhelmed. The meat was dry, the potatoes were okay, I've got to say, the bread was the best part. I was hoping this would be a go-to restaurant for me, but it's not looking good so far.

PXL_20230514_203056666.jpg

I got the same meal as you yesterday. Agree with all of the above.
I had this exact meal the day G&G opened, and the difference between now and then is night and day. The meat is colder, dryer, and less flavorful than just a few weeks ago, and the potatoes have less sauce and are undercooked now.  The bread seemed like it was just uncut Larosa’s bread sticks, though it was the warmest of the three items. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 8:55 PM, disco2000 said:

It's these types of posts showing the inconsistent quality of these in-house offerings that shows why having chain restaurants in the park are still important to some people.  Whether you like or not Skyline or LaRosa's or Subway or Chic-Fil-A, those that do like it at least know with a smaller dispersion of what to expect when ordering compared to the in-house offerings.  I quit getting Chicken Shack for example because more times than not the chicken was unchewable.  

For guests not on the meal plan, forking out almost $20 for two deli thin pieces of meat or an unchewable piece of meat isn't worth it.  At least at Skyline or Chic they knew what they were getting.  Sure it may costs more than outside of the park, but they know what they are getting.

I think @KIghostguynailed it perfectly when he said Grain & Grill is a perfect meal plan restaurant.  Those with a meal plan will be less likely to get completely upset and complain to guest services over the meals mentioned above, whereas the once a year guest will make a beeline to Guest Services to complain about the quality and small portion for $20.

They shouldn’t have to depend on chains to have quality food.   I find the food a Kings Dominion a Carowinds is good.  Anything those parks have that is similar on the menu to Kings Island is superior IMO.    It’s a Kings Island problem.     At KD and Carowinds I find myself struggling between the choices of everything I like to decide what to eat. At Kings Island I find my cell struggling to find something to eat that’s  even decent.

One chain brings the food down to dog food level.  LaRosas is absolutely the worst Pizza I’ve ever had at any theme, park or restaurant.  I don’t understand how anyone can mess up pizza that bad.  

• Haha 1

3f82f449c58189b70221b2d509d74bdc.jpg
I got the Moroccan chicken with tzatziki sauce, pierogies and naan bread. The lady in front of me was told that the chicken now has the sauce on it and if you want more , need to pay more. $1.29 for a side cup. It was still great. Chicken was juicy and legs were a good size. Pierogies were a potato and maybe cheese blend. Naan bread was warm and soft. This is a wonderful addition to KI dining plan and hopefully everyone can experience it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

17 hours ago, super7 said:

They shouldn’t have to depend on chains to have quality food.   I find the food a Kings Dominion a Carowinds is good.  Anything those parks have that is similar on the menu to Kings Island is superior IMO.    It’s a Kings Island problem.     At KD and Carowinds I find myself struggling between the choices of everything I like to decide what to eat   a Kings Island I find my cell struggling to find something to eat that’s  even decent.

One chain brings the food down to dog food level.  LaRosas is absolutely the worst Pizza I’ve ever had at any theme, park or restaurant.  I don’t understand how anyone can mess up pizza that bad.  

That is why Kings Island losing Chick Fil A is a huge deal. It was the most consistent quality restaurant the park had to offer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tr0y said:

That is why Kings Island losing Chick Fil A is a huge deal. It was the most consistent quality restaurant the park had to offer.

Except on Sunday's.  It was such a waste to have a kitchen and staff that are not available on one a busy weekend day.  I won't miss them, I found Chicken shack to be a good substitute plus they have wings.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, robintodd said:

Except on Sunday's.  It was such a waste to have a kitchen and staff that are not available on one a busy weekend day.  I won't miss them, I found Chicken shack to be a good substitute plus they have wings.

You will have to post when you go to Shack and have a great experience LOL.  I have never found it to be a good substitute for Chic-Fil-A.  I tried Shack a lot its first year and it was more miss than hit.  I'll give it a once a year try and it is usually not very edible.  Or I get the salad so it isn't a big deal if the chicken is rubber or hard as a rock LOL.

On 5/17/2023 at 6:55 PM, jdf21972 said:

3f82f449c58189b70221b2d509d74bdc.jpg
I got the Moroccan chicken with tzatziki sauce, pierogies and naan bread. The lady in front of me was told that the chicken now has the sauce on it and if you want more , need to pay more. $1.29 for a side cup. It was still great. Chicken was juicy and legs were a good size. Pierogies were a potato and maybe cheese blend. Naan bread was warm and soft. This is a wonderful addition to KI dining plan and hopefully everyone can experience it.

Charging $1.29 for sauce to an already overpriced meal is ridiculous, I mean bruh look how little sauce is on that already. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Charging $1.29 for sauce to an already overpriced meal is ridiculous, I mean bruh look how little sauce is on that already. 

Yeah, that's definitely not right

On 5/14/2023 at 9:07 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

I tried Grain and Grill yesterday for the first time and got the beef and the two pieces I got were a little thicker and very similar to the cut of the old tri tip over at Coney BBQ.  I got the focaccia and perogies and thought everything was good.  The focaccia was the best of the the three.  The meat was a little dry but overall I was pleased with the meal.  

I feel like Kings Island has gotten a little “cheap” this year with food operations. Places like Coney Bar-B-Que and Chicken Shack have slimmed down their offerings while places like Enrique’s and Grain and Grill are nickel and diming guests for queso, guacamole, and sauces—all things that used to be free. People can say that it is fine because the meal plans are still a great value, and that is true. However, for all the guests that do not have a meal plan, some meals kind of seem like a rip-off.

• Like 3

I believe with all the people sharing the fact they can share their season pass meal with another person at certain locations that maybe they have scaled back the food portions so that it can’t be shared and maybe they need to purchase their own meal plan. Just a thought.

15 hours ago, jdf21972 said:

I believe with all the people sharing the fact they can share their season pass meal with another person at certain locations that maybe they have scaled back the food portions so that it can’t be shared and maybe they need to purchase their own meal plan. Just a thought.

Totally agree. When people broadcast “hacks” like they are the smartest people in the world, they often screw up the very hack they discovered all for the narcissistic reason of seeing the likes on social media. 

11 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Totally agree. When people broadcast “hacks” like they are the smartest people in the world, they often screw up the very hack they discovered all for the narcissistic reason of seeing the likes on social media. 

Yep, same with posting when are good days to go due to light crowds LOL - guess what those days soon become not light crowd days LOL.  Or all the Prestige saying it is working at other parks with Prestige when the language says otherwise.  We know the park is screwing over those with Prestige LOL and they will close that loophole up LOL.  The list goes on and on of these "hacks" for the very reason you point out!