Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

On 4/17/2023 at 10:41 PM, silver2005 said:

The way the Skyline restaurants do it, 1-2 people puts together ways, 1-2 on coneys, one on burrito bar (salads, wraps, chilitos, pretty much everything else).  Depends on table size and layout, but each person puts together the items in full, not via assembly line. I can make make a full rack of 8 cheese coneys in under 30 seconds.  I work drive thru a lot and have to often put $50-70 orders together on my own on busy shifts.  I've even put together very large catering orders (in the ballpark of 100-300 coneys) together in an hour during a dinner rush in Clifton (because UC frats/sororities/AD stuffs).  I'd say a table crew at the restaurants can put together an average order for a family of 4-5 in under a minute (unless there are fries, most Skylines cook fries to order and those take 3-4 minutes depending on the fryer and its servers' discression whether to take them out with the whole order or take them separately).   The one in CM is more well suited for making Skyline so they can use both sides of the table, the on one I-Street doing it a la Subway is extremely inefficient. 

I never eat Skyline at the park (more due to not wanting chili+coasters, sounds like a terrible combination to me, the only time I consider it is before my Haunt visits and I usually eat at the one just outside the park or at Blue Ash Chili that's also close by), so I've never really seen them in action on a consistent basis.  

Obviously, making it all automated  orders cuts down on order confusion since there's a LOT of different lingo used to order Skyline (mostly coneys).  But siphoning everything to one location is going to be a pain for that staff. 

If you want to see how its done, assuming they're somewhat well staffed, go to one outside the park.  I think KI should partner with the one just outside the park to train employees before putting them on the line in the park.

I’ve been saying this for years!! I worked at a skyline for many years and watching KI workers assemble hurts to watch lol… not their fault, but at least having outside of the park skyline employees train them would help. Additionally, KI skyline is not quite the same as revalue skyline (crinkle cut fries, and I don’t *think* they shred their own cheese like skylines do) but all in all I think it would make the most sense to just have an independent skyline set up shop in the park. I’m sure this changes things financially but I know that myself and others would get in-park skyline more often if I knew it was from a “real” skyline. Just my opinion :)

2 hours ago, DownInRivertown said:

I’ve been saying this for years!! I worked at a skyline for many years and watching KI workers assemble hurts to watch lol… not their fault, but at least having outside of the park skyline employees train them would help. Additionally, KI skyline is not quite the same as revalue skyline (crinkle cut fries, and I don’t *think* they shred their own cheese like skylines do) but all in all I think it would make the most sense to just have an independent skyline set up shop in the park. I’m sure this changes things financially but I know that myself and others would get in-park skyline more often if I knew it was from a “real” skyline. Just my opinion :)

So far it hasn't been crinkle cut fries at KI Skyline...

• Sad 1

Very tasty! I had the Rosemary Beef, Potatoes, and naan. Beef was well seasoned and very tender- though I wish the rosemary came through a little more. The potatoes were cooked perfectly and had a little kick in the sauce. The naan tasted just like the naan I had at KD at their G&G (which was good!). All in all very good! I am looking forward to trying the rest of the menu. 

073ABBB0-5D92-44C0-9277-BF53171EF9E4.jpeg

• Like 2

The glazed pork was dry, but the sauce saved it a bit. The perogies and naan are phenomenal 

Side note; what the heck is with the cheese amount from Skyline this year? It's supposed to be a mound of cheese and I'm barely getting a heavy sprinkle. I shouldn't be able to see the chili and spaghetti through the middle of the cheese.

• Like 2

I wasn't as impressed as others were but I'll try something else next time. Got the Moroccan chicken with tzatziki sauce. I've had tzatziki sauce on gyros that I liked but this, imo, didn't go well with the chicken which was very mild (and I prefer white meat to legs). The potatoes (Potatas Bravas) have a little bit of spice to the sauce but I didn't really like it. Then again, I've been told that I have the palate of an 8-year-old.

The bread was good at least. I like that the place has a lot of sides options and 3 bread options.

IMG_20230428_171111735_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

I wasn't as impressed as others were but I'll try something else next time. Got the Moroccan chicken with tzatziki sauce. I've had tzatziki sauce on gyros that I liked but this, imo, didn't go well with the chicken which was very mild (and I prefer white meat to legs). The potatoes (Potatas Bravas) have a little bit of spice to the sauce but I didn't really like it. Then again, I've been told that I have the palate of an 8-year-old.

The bread was good at least. I like that the place has a lot of sides options and 3 bread options.

IMG_20230428_171111735_HDR.jpg

I feel like Charlie Brown LOL.  I am seeing all these pics where people got two pieces of chicken.  I only got one and my potatoes didn't have the sauce you had either.

Got to try the Grain and Grill yesterday. The food was good, but to me the star of the show was definitely the Brussel sprouts. They were incredible! Definitely a unique side item for an amusement park and most definitely an overlooked one. 

• Like 3

Sorry for double but yesterday they’re was a huge wait for the Juke Box dinner, not because the kitchen was slow, but it was due to a crowd of like 30 or so people who were apart of the same group event I guess? They were redeeming their food and drink wrist bands. Now I understand having some behind the counter as a one off but I would think that being a large group that more than likely purchased them in advance, they would have those ready for those folks for pickup near the entrance of the park? 

• Like 1

I ate at Grain and Grill yesterday. Here is my review!

image.png

Entree: I got the beef option, which I thought was very good, if a little dry. My friend got the pork and I sampled a bit of his. I thought this was very good as well. Portion size was very small, though. I don't think either of these compared to the incredible crispy hoisin pork that I had at Kings Dominion last year. I enjoy that KI and KD's Grain and Grills have different menus, but something with a similar texture/flavor to that crispy hoisin pork would be very much enjoyed at Kings Island. The sauce selection to pair with your entree was great. I don't recall Kings Dominion having that option.

Side: I got the pierogis, which I thought were just okay. I tried my friend's potatoes, which were excellent, probably the best side I have had at a Kings Island meal. I thought the wide selection and variety of sides were fantastic. There is a much larger selection than at Kings Dominion.

BreadI liked that there were three different bread options. I got the artisan bread and my friend got the focaccia. The artisan bread was fine, it was basically just a baguette you could get from the supermarket. The focaccia bread is definitely where it's at, though!

Interior: This might actually be my favorite part of Grain and Grill overall. The interior of Grain and Grill is beautiful, and very much an improvement over what it was when it was Skyline. The tile on the floor, the tables and chairs, the wallpaper and colors, everything compliments each other very nicely and it feels elegant and mature. There are some nice decor touches, including a vintage Kings Island plate. One thing that did stick out to me was that there is a sign at both parks talking about how Grain and Grill sources their products from local farms. KD lists the exact farms on the sign, KI does not. I thought this was a bit strange. It's worth nothing that Kings Dominion's Grain and Grill doesn't have indoor seating, so this is a nice bonus for Kings Island. However, at Kings Dominion you can listen to appropriately themed music while you eat on their International Street while at Kings Island you are stuck listening to the stupid, random jazz music. So bonus points to Kings Dominion!

image.png

Value: I personally feel like the portion sizes might be too small for the price point. I was still hungry after my meal, while I was full after eating at Kings Dominion. I personally would rather "regularly" eat at Coney Bar-B-Que or Brewhouse before Grain and Grill because I just feel like there is more bang for your buck there as far as price vs. portion size. I feel like this is definitely more of a "meal plan" type of restaurant, if that makes sense.

Final thoughts: Overall, I would give the edge to Grain and Grill at Kings Dominion. But that being said, I still would say that I had an overall quality meal at Kings Island. It's a good, different option from anything we've had at Kings Island previously. Any way you slice it, this is a massive improvement in literally every single way from when Skyline occupied the space. Good job Kings Island!

image.png

• Like 9

Thoughts on the Skyline operations-

First, it is well staffed for the small menu they have, just coneys, ways, salads and fries, simple stuff.  4 on table is pretty adequate.  However, they could REALLY crank food out better if they did stations instead of like an assembly line.  They'll get better with practice, and they are doing quite well for the 3rd weekend, but a few small changes in operations could really improve their efficiency. 

Also, even compared to the Skyline I work at where we're generous with cheese portions,  they use a TON.  I also like the hot dogs better than mine.  Got coneys today that were of good quality.  They do need to open the buns up and put a bit more chili on coneys, but not drastically off what's done at the outside restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think @KIghostguynailed with the Grain & Grill opinion. 

My experience was different, but I have a similar opinion. 

I had the pork shoulder. It was good. Had a bit of a sweet glaze. 

Girlfriend had the shrimp. They nailed the shrimp. That was good enough to write home about, rather than just being good like the pork. 

I’m not sure what they called them (words are hard) but we both had the side of potatoes with the sauce. That was good, but I feel like my body was expecting a meatball but got a potato. Maybe it’s because I don’t have the diversity of pallet that some others have?

I also got the artisan bread. As KIGhostGuy said, it’s fine. Very small. My girlfriend got the naan bread with the pesto dip, which was very good. 

What was funny was, about two hours later some friend showed up and wanted to try it. They got the pork and both said it was too spicy. Spicy? Mine was sweet! I tried a piece and it tasted like it was covered in chili powder! Not gonna lie, I kind of liked it. But the product they got was extremely different from mine. Must have been a mistake. 

They also got some sort of churro brownie, which I sampled and it was excellent. 

My only concern is, as many have expressed inside and outside of the forums, the portions are probably too small. Most of us have the meal plan, so if that’s what you’re craving then that’s fine, but I would have been disappointed if I had paid $18.99 or whatever it costs. 

I do what to give a HUGE shout out to the crew working yesterday. They had been opened for about two hours and were doing a GREAT job of cranking through people, keeping the place clean, being polite, and making recommendations. They now have a four register setup and it is no longer the bottleneck that it was. 

Overall, good-not-great, but if it’s good on day zero then it has a very bright future. I would agree that KD’s is better, but it’s had years to refine. I’m very confident that this will be an asset to the park experience. 

• Like 3

Tried Enrique’s and was a little dissapointed the only cheese option was the Queso and it was and additional $3 so I passed.  $2 maybe (like the upcharge for sides at Tom & Chee) but just couldn't pull the trigger at the $3 mark.  I believe they had 2 or more options last year, but I could be wrong.

Did the Shrimp, Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts (Paid the extra, I'm hooked) and the naan.  As mentioned previously the potatoes are excellent and had a little kick to them.  Grain & Grill is definietly a fantastic addition.  I checked and you may get 2 sides in place of the protien on the meal plan.  Might do that to try some more of what they have to offer.

The line at Skyline was very long.  Again, I don't think it's the staff, but the fact that it is so popular (especially with kids).  My grandchildren would always get the kidde dog meal when they were tired of pizza.  Really hope they re-consider and move Tom & Chee to the old Subway building and put another Skyline where Tom & Chee is now.  Didn't notice a long line all day for Tom & Chee.

Juke Box Diner on the other had and a line out the door (again).  That place is conistantly busy.  People are loving what they are selling and willing to wait for it so cudo's to them!

Finally Sweet Spot is really hitting it's stride.  The Confetti Cookies are amazing.  Also found out that the crew at Sweet Spot are doing all the deserts for the park.  I'm finding myself spending money there on the way home.   

• Like 1

I had the beef twice today at Grain and Grill, the first time the portions of beef was very well sized, the second time they was half the size. Brussel sprouts was delicious as was the potatoes.  Wife had the pork and chicken,  she loved the pork, didn't care for the chicken.   I think it's a great addition to the park

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, robintodd said:

Tried Enrique’s and was a little dissapointed the only cheese option was the Queso and it was and additional $3 so I passed.  $2 maybe (like the upcharge for sides at Tom & Chee) but just couldn't pull the trigger at the $3 mark.  I believe they had 2 or more options last year, but I could be wrong.

Did the Shrimp, Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts (Paid the extra, I'm hooked) and the naan.  As mentioned previously the potatoes are excellent and had a little kick to them.  Grain & Grill is definietly a fantastic addition.  I checked and you may get 2 sides in place of the protien on the meal plan.  Might do that to try some more of what they have to offer.

The line at Skyline was very long.  Again, I don't think it's the staff, but the fact that it is so popular (especially with kids).  My grandchildren would always get the kidde dog meal when they were tired of pizza.  Really hope they re-consider and move Tom & Chee to the old Subway building and put another Skyline where Tom & Chee is now.  Didn't notice a long line all day for Tom & Chee.

Juke Box Diner on the other had and a line out the door (again).  That place is conistantly busy.  People are loving what they are selling and willing to wait for it so cudo's to them!

Finally Sweet Spot is really hitting it's stride.  The Confetti Cookies are amazing.  Also found out that the crew at Sweet Spot are doing all the deserts for the park.  I'm finding myself spending money there on the way home.   

I was at Enrique's yesterday (Friday afternoon) and got shredded cheese on my burrito bowl as I always have. Maybe they ran out? It's typically one of the last options alongside the lettuce, sour cream, etc and I don't remember there being other options aside from queso (though its definitely a bummer that that's no longer included).

As far as Grain and Grill, I'm wondering if I got different potatoes than everyone else. I'll try the beef next time but the portion you get does seem smallish. With the chicken, I got two fairly big legs, but that's a cheap meat by comparison and @disco2000 apparently only got one. Sounds like they're still experimenting with portions? Or maybe there's a training issue? Obviously food prices are higher than they were a year ago, so I'm kind of surprised we aren't seeing more shrinkflation at the park.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

I was at Enrique's yesterday (Friday afternoon) and got shredded cheese on my burrito bowl as I always have. Maybe they ran out? It's typically one of the last options alongside the lettuce, sour cream, etc and I don't remember there being other options aside from queso (though its definitely a bummer that that's no longer included).

As far as Grain and Grill, I'm wondering if I got different potatoes than everyone else. I'll try the beef next time but the portion you get does seem smallish. With the chicken, I got two fairly big legs, but that's a cheap meat by comparison and @disco2000 apparently only got one. Sounds like they're still experimenting with portions? Or maybe there's a training issue? Obviously food prices are higher than they were a year ago, so I'm kind of surprised we aren't seeing more shrinkflation at the park.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, yes they did have shredded chesse but I was looking for melted cheese to help keep the temperature up.  Weird to have hot protien and then cold salsa on top of it.  At least the melted cheese would help heat up the salsa when put on top.

As far as the portion on the beef, I got 3 slices and was fine with it.  It is nice to have a "lighter" option that lands between the 1/2 chicken and Coney BBQ and the French Corner.  Especially when the quality is there.

Tried Grain and Grill for the first time today. Really enjoyed it! I got the chicken, potatoes, and naan bread with taziki sauce. They gave me two chicken legs so maybe they got a lot of complaints or something? Idk. The potatoes were very good and yes they have a small kick, but as someone who pours hot sauce all over my Skyline 4 ways and fills my crackers with hot sauce, the kick was nothing. Imo it's a great addition to the park! 

• Like 1

Admittedly this isn’t about KI.
I thought about doing a trip report, but thought this group/thread might be interested socially in my dining experience at California’s Great America yesterday.

Lunch:
I had an artisan turkey sandwich. Bread was fresh. The dried tomatoes on top were nice (I tossed them in and are with sandwich). Sandwiches were premade, so no option to customize, but that also enabled them to be handed out quickly. I think this (either as premade for fast lines or as a build) would be a great concept for a new restaurant in the former subway locations at KI.

Side options were fries, Mac & cheese, or mixed veggies… Which made for what felt like a healthy option.

Dinner in the next post… Tapatalk (which I use for these forums doesn’t allow multiple photos on free accounts)

7e99b7840d3b8e644fef31afd09ef910.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dinner (at California’s Great America):

Burrito bowl concept like Enrique’s. They didn’t have fajita veggies, but instead had the same mixed veggies from my lunch. They worked but KI fajita veggies are better.

Where their bowls were better than Enrique was the flavoring of the meats. I got Al pastor (pineapple pork) which had way better flavor than the carnitas (or any of the meats) at Enrique’s… granted we’re in California. Also, their bowls included guacamole as a topping option and a side of chips (again, avocados in California are a lot cheaper than here)

dffe42abc35b764c7797ef2e2b1a0f1f.jpg

Overall we’re very lucky to have a vast offering of food options at KI, many of which done at a very high quality. Other than these two examples, everything else I saw there was typical… burgers, tenders, pizza… although they did have a lot of specialty hot dog options that looked unique… but they were still hot dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic