Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

So I had Grain and Grill again tonight for my dinner. This time I had the shrimp and perogies, but added on the potatoes for an extra charge. The shrimp was very good just wish the skewers were a little longer with more shrimp. Honestly the shrimp might be on par with Red Lobster shrimp. The perogies were good, but not something to write home about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Anyone know If they fixed a couple of the sprinklers in the royal fountain area? I know everyone is talking about the new Grain and Grill that just opened, but I won't be down to Kings Island until middle of May so I was curious.

Fountains are back to full bloom.  Made a point of looking for that on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to say, I’m impressed with Chef Joseph Perez so far this season. He seems to take a lot of ownership with the restaurants within the park. For the 4 visits that I have been I have seen him walking about in 3 of those visits. It’s always a good sign to see someone that is passionate and cares about what they do.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I got the chicken and pearlies today. Both were very good. Others that got the beef said it was dry.. I hope they make a little bit thicker slices and get the dryness resolved.

PXL_20230519_205427768.jpg

Portions were reportedly bad at Cedar Point’s Pavilion opening weekend. By the time I ate there they were generous. Probably due to training and guest feedback. I’m hoping things will be corrected with G&G. Food is good, portions need work. I don’t care much because of the meal plan, but if I paid $20 for the meal and got one chicken wing, a small piece of bread, and a tiny portion of a side then I’d be livid. I haven’t had that experience, but I’ve seen several photos of people who have. 

• Like 2

I got GG last night. I didn't like the protein options, so I got three sides and two pieces of bread. I had the fruity couscous which was really good. I had the garlic bread which was tasty and was not tiny and they gave you two pieces of bread. I had. The pierogies they were large size and they gave you four. And finally I had the grilled vegetables which were cruciferous vegetables and they were very tasty. However, anyone who has been around me since I ate there last night. I apologize because cruciferous vegetables produce flatulent results.

I don't do pork chop type meats, I don't do bones and chicken, and I'm just not a big beef eater. If the chicken was boneless skinless chicken breast, I would get that every time.

Overall, I was very pleased and impressed. The food was delicious and the sizes were enormous. The remodel looks great.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I got GG last night. I didn't like the protein options, so I got three sides and two pieces of bread. I had the fruity couscous which was really good. I had the garlic bread which was tasty and was not tiny and they gave you two pieces of bread. I had. The pierogies they were large size and they gave you four. And finally I had the grilled vegetables which were cruciferous vegetables and they were very tasty. However, anyone who has been around me since I ate there last night. I apologize because cruciferous vegetables produce flatulent results.

I don't do pork chop type meats, I don't do bones and chicken, and I'm just not a big beef eater. If the chicken was boneless skinless chicken breast, I would get that every time.

Overall, I was very pleased and impressed. The food was delicious and the sizes were enormous. The remodel looks great.

Same here. If the chicken wasn’t bone-in I’d have it every time. 

• Like 1

I love that certain places are doing special deserts, but they need to 1) get a separate line for these and highlight them and 2) figure out how to get them to you since I waited in the full prep line at Enrique’s then another 5-10 minutes to have them pull it out of the fridge and hand it to me. I think people would eat this up (no pun intended) if they made it way easier to get. But on a related note. This thang is GOOD! 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Brew house has been very good this season. I’ve had the BBLT, KI Salad & Clucks in a barrel all in the past week and they’ve all been very good. They also give you 2 dipping sauce without charging extra unlike some other chum bucket restaurant on istreet.

• Like 3

Got to try Skyline Nachos at GABP tonight, they were awesome and reasonably priced being around $10. Doesn’t hurt the fact that the game brought us in attendance free pizza, and more important a win!

I’m sure King’s Island has a spare nacho cheese dispenser that currently isn’t being used that can find its way to a Skyline in the park. ;)

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Brew house has been very good this season. I’ve had the BBLT, KI Salad & Clucks in a barrel all in the past week and they’ve all been very good. They also give you 2 dipping sauce without charging extra unlike some other chum bucket restaurant on istreet.

Had a “back deck” early lunch there today. Agree the two sauces are nice. They’ve got to get Grain and Grille figured out. It’s all over the place quality and operational. On a slightly related note (as they were evicted for G&G, the Skyline pavilion is getting sone love and attention-now if they could somehow reconfigure the building to have a second small order window on the side facing the seating… 

226195D4-39D9-49B9-8C6B-249CFBF1E54C.jpeg

• Like 3

I got to try CP’s Grand Pavilion yesterday. I ended up getting the turkey breast, potatoes, and bread. Food wise it was good, the food could have been a tad bit warmer. The building itself and the views were great! The bugs were really bad but it’s that time of the year tho for CP. All in all I would say KI’s G&G has a much better selection of food, in my opinion.

3858DF22-50F0-4AFD-937E-3D708AD214EF.jpeg

90EB49BC-13FD-4872-A29F-CC039C4183E3.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 11:21 PM, Tr0y said:

Got to try Skyline Nachos at GABP tonight, they were awesome and reasonably priced being around $10. Doesn’t hurt the fact that the game brought us in attendance free pizza, and more important a win!

I’m sure King’s Island has a spare nacho cheese dispenser that currently isn’t being used that can find its way to a Skyline in the park. ;)

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg

Sorry double post I guess, but I just seen this in my feed on FB and it has me wondering if this is already in the pipeline at KI considering it’s being rolled out to multiple locations: 

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/skyline-fans-no-longer-have-to-go-to-a-reds-game-to-enjoy-chili-nachos

• Like 1

My guess is that they are turning it into more like the other la Rosa locations, or fest haus.
Where you will enter, grab your own food from a counter, then pay.

Which I assume they would do to minimize the staging needed (Vs previously they had industrial people take your order and payment, and others fulfilling orders.

Should result in faster food, assuming they have enough check out cashiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Does anybody know what the orange sauce was called that they was putting on the beef at Grain and Grill? The first few times I had it, they recommended it and I loved it.  This last time they didn't have it and didn't know what I was talking about

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

Does anybody know what the orange sauce was called that they was putting on the beef at Grain and Grill? The first few times I had it, they recommended it and I loved it.  This last time they didn't have it and didn't know what I was talking about

It’s Romesco sauce, last time I ate at the Grain and Grill it was already on the meat. If you want extra sauce you have to request it which is also an additional charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

It’s Romesco sauce, last time I ate at the Grain and Grill it was already on the meat. If you want extra sauce you have to request it which is also an additional charge.

That's it!  Thanks

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 10:26 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

At the IS location, I guess it was based on the honor system. I would order my three-way and then I'd have to tell the line person what I had. First line person had to put spaghetti in a bowl. Second line person had to put chili and cheese on top of the spaghetti. How that would take 10 minutes. I have no idea. What would mess them up is when a parent would come through with eight kids and what separate things for each kid. Like kid one would only want noodles and cheese. Kid 2. Only wanted chili. Kid 3 wanted spaghetti and onions. No cheese or chili. Kid 4. One of the hot dog with cheese but no chili and on and on. Meanwhile, kids one through eight are down fighting at the fountain drink station while other people are coming through the gate to refill their drink. That place was always a mess unless you're the only person in line.

They have listened to your concerns since the EXIT ONLY signage wasn't enough to stop people, they posted these at eye level exit points (but doesn't solve your example of the places that are easier to bypass) that people will ignore as well...

image.png

• Like 1

Tried Grain and Grill again tonight. But I got there late, around 7 PM, which may be why I didn't get to choose my bread? I just got the two small slices of baguette (artisan whatever). Got the beef and maybe its also because I was there late but I got a decent sized portion. 3 pieces (2 decent sized ones and 1 smaller one). Also got the perogies. I remembered that I'm not really a pierogi person. Just very heavy. The beef had decent flavor but it was overdone and I could tell it had been there a while. Honestly, unless they rethink that whole menu, I'm not sure I'll eat there again.

Earlier in the day I decided to try the Clucks and Barrels at Brewhouse. Was hoping they were better than the other tenders I've had at KI and CP and they were but are still nothing great. I don't get why these parks struggle to serve up something as good as even the cheaper fast food places that have tenders.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 11:49 PM, DoomPlague said:

Tried Grain and Grill again tonight. But I got there late, around 7 PM, which may be why I didn't get to choose my bread? I just got the two small slices of baguette (artisan whatever). Got the beef and maybe its also because I was there late but I got a decent sized portion. 3 pieces (2 decent sized ones and 1 smaller one). Also got the perogies. I remembered that I'm not really a pierogi person. Just very heavy. The beef had decent flavor but it was overdone and I could tell it had been there a while. Honestly, unless they rethink that whole menu, I'm not sure I'll eat there again.

Earlier in the day I decided to try the Clucks and Barrels at Brewhouse. Was hoping they were better than the other tenders I've had at KI and CP and they were but are still nothing great. I don't get why these parks struggle to serve up something as good as even the cheaper fast food places that have tenders.

I’ve tried Grill and Grain 2-3 times now and I’m about over it as well. I wanted this to be my awesome new “go to” but the sub par food, lame presentation and missed opportunity to do a nice patio seating similar to the VIP pergola (where the Photo Booth and Fast Lane stand are) have not sold me on this. I’m about done giving it chances. The problem is, if it fails they will blame it on “weird food people didn’t ‘get’ and lack of awareness of chain name”, not “we did a bad job of serving creativly presented, consistent portions of well seasoned food, with as much sauce (really…how much does SAUCE cost) as people want, and offered adult beverages that reflected the cuisines we served.”

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic