Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

Our experiences have been pretty mixed so far as well. Items like the naan bread or potatoes will often be unavailable and the proteins like the chicken can have some funky texture.

I really wanted to support a non-chain park original restaurant with a unique menu but we're probably done with it too.

• Like 2

If G & G fails, it’s 100% on the incompetence of KI food service.    I have never had anything that I did not like at kings dominion’s version.     I just don’t understand how Kings Islands food is the lowest quality in the chain.    And the head chef got promoted….

On 6/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, brenthodge said:

I’ve tried Grill and Grain 2-3 times now and I’m about over it as well. I wanted this to be my awesome new “go to” but the sub par food, lame presentation and missed opportunity to do a nice patio seating similar to the VIP pergola (where the Photo Booth and Fast Lane stand are) have not sold me on this. I’m about done giving it chances. The problem is, if it fails they will blame it on “weird food people didn’t ‘get’ and lack of awareness of chain name”, not “we did a bad job of serving creativly presented, consistent portions of well seasoned food, with as much sauce (really…how much does SAUCE cost) as people want, and offered adult beverages that reflected the cuisines we served.”

If you want faster lines at any restaurant at the park be sure to be wear a polo shirt and hat while wielding a clipboard, clicker counter, and stop watch. I’m not joking the line moved quick.

IMG_1192.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

This is why there is never any ice available LOL

image.png

And Skyline Line is almost to Dodgem while G&G is nobody in line.  Then you see this that would drive @silver2005 nuts LOL:

image.png

The real sin is me seeing them make 4 ways with onions on top of the cheese.  Tsk tsk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

This is why there is never any ice available LOL

image.png

And Skyline Line is almost to Dodgem while G&G is nobody in line.  Then you see this that would drive @silver2005 nuts LOL:

image.png

Yeah. They need to fix grill and grain. I doesn’t seem to be working. Why if at coney BBQ they can put the sides in the main food bowl, why are they all in little dumb dishes at grill and grain. And why the “fish and chips” newspaper? Just use a slightly decent wood grain square paper plate and at least TRY to make it differ and “upscale”…oh, and consistent. What’s the “sauce op of the week” this week? Side? On? Cup? Extra or included? 

• Like 1

I've had great experiences both times I've had Grain and Grill. The meat entrees do not speak to me, but I can eat a decently healthy meal with three sides that is very filling. (I tried the potatoes this week and was not a fan).

I think they need to have a rotation in the meat menu.  I agree with the plating as @brenthodgesays above...the woodgrain plate would be a better presentation.

Now for Enriques...I've often heard that the chicken was bland at Hanks. But it was always good until last week.  It was bland!  And can you get queso on the burrito or burrito bowl for free or is that considered a side? If it's on the food item? It's a little confusing, they call it aside so I would think they would charge you for a side cup of queso, but if it's on the burrito it seems to me that it would be free.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Yeah. They need to fix grill and grain. I doesn’t seem to be working. Why if at coney BBQ they can put the sides in the main food bowl, why are they all in little dumb dishes at grill and grain. And why the “fish and chips” newspaper? Just use a slightly decent wood grain square paper plate and at least TRY to make it differ and “upscale”…oh, and consistent. What’s the “sauce op of the week” this week? Side? On? Cup? Extra or included? 

The Grand pavilion restaurant at CP serves their food on the same style wood grain plate with newspaper. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

The Grand pavilion restaurant at CP serves their food on the same style wood grain plate with newspaper. 

Enough with the newspaper. And why is that even needed on a plate? It’s not like it adds any “sanitary” aspect. It’s just annoying when if get soaked with stuff and you get bits of paper in your Mac and cheese. It really only works for certain items. 

19 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Enough with the newspaper. And why is that even needed on a plate? It’s not like it adds any “sanitary” aspect. It’s just annoying when if get soaked with stuff and you get bits of paper in your Mac and cheese. It really only works for certain items. 

I agree, the first time I ate at the Grand Pavillion,  I assumed you wasn't suppose to throw away the plates, because why else would there be newspaper on them... 

I've had great experiences both times I've had Grain and Grill. The meat entrees do not speak to me, but I can eat a decently healthy meal with three sides that is very filling. (I tried the potatoes this week and was not a fan).
I think they need to have a rotation in the meat menu.  I agree with the plating as [mention=8547]brenthodge[/mention]says above...the woodgrain plate would be a better presentation.
Now for Enriques...I've often heard that the chicken was bland at Hanks. But it was always good until last week.  It was bland!  And can you get queso on the burrito or burrito bowl for free or is that considered a side? If it's on the food item? It's a little confusing, they call it aside so I would think they would charge you for a side cup of queso, but if it's on the burrito it seems to me that it would be free.

2 years ago you could get guacamole and queso on a bowl or burrito for no charge.
Last year you could choose one or the other, but not both for no added charge.
This year, both are an upcharge and not included.

I agree that the meat and pork both lack flavor. And now that guacamole isn’t an option, it’s really bland.

For reference. This was the “salad” option at the Carowinds version this week.
Not only was the shell great, but the meat had tons of flavor, there was tons of fresh pico de gallo, and guacamole is usually available, although yet were out when I was there.

59ae8c408238a27450b20dc8cd51f50e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Canadas wonderland was the best food option. Most variety on the plan. And great execution.
Here’s the menu at backlot cafe.

Pizzas here were made to order and very fresh.
Spaghetti and meatballs were generous portion.
Taco bowls didn’t look good… but we were pretty far from Mexico ;)
7863e55469510f38882dcaeb530a9999.jpg

• Like 2

Canadas wonderland

Amazing brisket. Served with chili churri sauce, cornbread muffin, and a side.
Super lean (no fat) and so tender.
I got this for 4 of my 5 meals there and was not sad.

Shown with vegetable medley, which was also great and didn’t taste like it was previously frozen.

They also had a Korean BBQ chicken half that was very good.

a10f9e5d5157aca40a42d7da5ec280eb.jpg

• Like 2

Finally.
It wasn’t listed on the entertainment portion of the app, but Saturday night they had live music (2 people) in front of their new restaurant/bar.

This would be a great addition to the patio area of Enrique’s. I could see myself going to the park for a burrito bowl and a getting a beer and enjoying some live music in that area.
7bf34d957399aa00aaec2c85c36a1c7f.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, thank you, @chuck norris!  I was not impressed with food at Canada's Wonderland overall. Slow operations or no fountain drinks available (I'm looking at you Backlot Cafe) meant you had to wait in 2 lines for eating...one for food, another for drink, so your food was cold or your drink was hot! :/

Spaghetti and meatballs was very good...but cold.  Brisket was good, Mac was not at Lazy Bear...and it was cold.  My friend got the platter you pictured above and enjoyed it. I had chicken fingers next door...garlic BBQ...and was asked three times if I wanted them with the garlic BBQ sauce or plain...and they were cold.  Lol. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

Finally.
It wasn’t listed on the entertainment portion of the app, but Saturday night they had live music (2 people) in front of their new restaurant/bar.

This would be a great addition to the patio area of Enrique’s. I could see myself going to the park for a burrito bowl and a getting a beer and enjoying some live music in that area.
7bf34d957399aa00aaec2c85c36a1c7f.jpg

I don't understand for the life of me why they DON'T add that in on Friday and Sat nights (even a few other weeknights when it is high season). Local acts could audition for an entertainment person and they could build a "roster" of acts appropriate for 3-4 themed areas. Create small themed stages, promote the heck out of the local acts and give them free exposure for probably minimal actual pay to the act. That was one of the things I actually LIKED about the COVID season - the "mini shows" like BrewBeats and the CarGuys (whatever their name was) really added to the dynamics of the areas. I was actually bummed when bigger live shows returned and the budgets were cut for those little "pocket shows". Simple live music acts would fill that void, and fill the evenings since it seems like all shows are done by 6 this year (except RetroSPect)

• Like 1

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic